Colton wrote a letter to Mom/Jen after his first week, a great write-up, and there's been some continued communications updated here (just keeping it to a single post for now. All of September/October)... you can see his new apartment on the BlackhamBlog.
From Colton (September 8, 2024)
Sunday - After dropping Dad and Keat off at the airport, I didn't head back to the apartment immediately but went to Target for some clothes. I found a couple good pairs of shorts, which was surprising as I can never find actually good fitting pairs of shorts, and some cargo pants for when it gets colder. Found everything on the clearance rack too which was fortunate. I was only back at the apartment for a couple of hours before I headed to the school where Coach Stamme let me in to get some shots up. They're really lenient with the gym hours and coach even told me if I get asked to leave that I could just mention that I was there working out with a coach or give him a call and he could come let college safety know that I have permission to be in there. I don't remember if anything else really happened the rest of the day, might've even got McDonald's after my hoop sesh to avoid having to make any dinner. Going to sleep was a little rough because of the heat.
From Mom/JenBThis format was great. Love just getting little insights into what is happening, what is different. This is WONDERFUL, and makes a mommy heart happy!I had peeked at the weather and saw there were some warm days again. I'm happy you got the AC unit. I'll have to get the picture of the set up. You know I love my cool room! Duct tape is your friend when it comes to jerry-rigging stuff. Too bad you didn't get it immediately when it was even warmer that first miserable week! If you use it a LOT and the power bill goes up, we'll have to pitch in a bit more (our power bill for September was the highest it's ever been!) And from GRAY huh? Is he just Gray, or Grayson?Thanks for the list of names. Two Conners. When is the team officially finalized? I'm looking forward to seeing the https://www.clackamascougars.com/landing/ index website updated, team pictures and such! How has fridge/freezer space been? I still wonder how we did it with 7 (at Snow) and 8 (at BYU). I honestly can't remember.You'd mentioned "work" in a text ... I had wondered if you meant school work. You got a job! Do you think you'll be able to keep up with it once the season and school are in full swing? I guess if they are willing to work with your schedule... and then communicate to you your schedule! Let them know your Thanksgiving and Christmas plans. Poor Dad was on the computer much of last night booking flights and such. I did give you the heads up that it's EVERYONE coming in December, right? ;) Kate will be staying home with Vera, but all your brothers are coming with Dad and me. We'll all fly together on Dec26 (with you returning). The Blackham Bunch!I'd wondered about crazy college life and just figured at a community college it might not be as bad as a 4-year, as so many of the students would still likely be under 21. I guess at Snow we had a lot of older kids too, but that's Utah/Mormon culture, returned missionaries. What are the ages of most of the boys on the basketball team, any older ones? I remember there was a clause in your signed contract about not drinking (I guess it was during practices/games) but it seems most would be underage?I know you love your sugar cookies. $1.50 is a deal ;)Thanks again so much for this little write up. I really, really, really, really, really love it!
I made the 1SecondEveryDay video for September and realized I didn't have ONE cute Colton face in it! I did get your A/C picture from Dad, so at least that made an appearance. Momma needs at least a couple pictures a month! I know you don't love it ... but for me? Pleeeease? Things here at home ... Dad has had a couple big bike trips. Those are done now (whew!) Cal's team won the championship, even without you. We had to replace the A/C here at home ( without A/C for a day, it works really well now, I have to turn the thermostat up sometimes to turn the a/c off). Had to have the oven and dishwasher repaired - I couldn't bake sourdough for a little over a week. Coop had a couple bad weeks of Fantasy, but has one the last two. Cal & Kate went camping and Cal almost chopped his thumb off with an axe (left-hand, so he didn't get out of playing pickleball).How often do you have your A/C running? I was impressed with your jerry-rigged set-up!You've now had all your classes - did you have to buy books (save receipts, send any/all school expenses to me, tax write-off). After week 1, can you get a feel if the classes will be challenging or easy? Did the College Success class end (was it just the three weeks before school started) or is it still going?Dad said he never got a text from you asking about Microsoft Word/Excel. He thinks he's on a plan that maybe has one more on the license?How's Walgreens work? Any improvement in the communication? What hours have you been working?How's life with roommates? Any issues - leaving the toilet seat up, or not cleaning up messes? How much "cleaning" do you guys do? No problems parking? Laundry going okay?Just got your October rent payment in. Conner's mom mentioned you'd told him about a food assistance program?... and of course, how's basketball going? ;)u and miss seeing your cute face!
My A/C does that too ... it will run for a bit (15min or so) then shuts off, then will come back on again after a while. I think it can't run continuously, needs to take little breaks. Mine also has a temp setting (set it to 68 degrees, and it won't turn on unless it's warmer than that ... although I have mine turned down to its lowest, 61 degrees).How does your online class work? Like the online ones you (or Coop) took, with assignments, and a Friday due date? How many people are in your in-person Tues/Thurs classes? Glad the College Success class is done (that's what I thought). Do be sure to make your school assignment due dates a priority. College classes likely don't accept things late the way the flexible high school teachers did.Good on you for finding financial aid options (or thanks to the wrestling coach). I still wonder about filling out a FAFSA and then applying for any school scholarships - if they'd just take place of the basketball $$ or if it could then go toward housing. Have you been eating any ramen? Stereotype of the poor college student diet ;) (although you ate it at home too). It's funny here at home without you, we don't go through the Grandma Sycamore or deli meats, and Coop said I don't need to buy the fruit snacks. We've had some leftovers I've wished I could zap to you!Dad is looking into seeing if changing your flight to a day earlier (your birthday!) is an option. We'll let you know.I'll be putting all your games on the calendar - so what's this "NW Juco Jamboree" coming up this weekend (on the schedule/Oct13) - has the team been finalized? Do you know if this will be streamed?mommy
From Colton (October 7, 2024)
Hey there ... had a funny tonight. Landon and Keaton came over and the boys wanted to play some Mario. They were getting it set up ...Landon: We need another Joy-ConCoop: Any extras are downstairsKeaton: I miss ColtonI guess you were the errand boy they'd send? Not that they don't miss you in general, as I'm sure you are missing us all SO much, right?We got some pickleball in this morning ... had four of my five boys. It was a little cool to start, but then it was really a perfect pickleball day. We moved so that we were in the sun, because that actually felt good (and the shady section had SO many pine needles all over!)Dad and I went to see a show at Hale Theater with the grandparents last night - The Adams Family. It was cute.I've enjoyed having your games to watch again and make highlights. I just finished the third one, it's saving now. Wish I was there to get video myself, but the stream is better than not having a view at all. Another "Jamboree" in a couple weeks, there at Clackamas? When will the team be finalized?Did I mention Cal wasn't able to get signed up for the Wednesday night league (they didn't have enough teams). That's a bummer for him. And me, as I like to go watch (I do still need to make the highlight video of the championship game).The weather turned cooler here, some got snow, but we just got rain and dropped temps. Have the temperatures dropped enough that you'll pull the A/C from your window? I still have mine up, although it's not running as much as it was. We'll get up over 70 again this coming week though.Are you able to stay on top of everything? With basketball, school, work, grocery shopping, laundry and everything else? I'm so glad you got to see Carter, Q and E! What school is Carter at again?Love you and miss you!Mommy
S Puget Sound ... the team that got you in a buzzer beater! SO close!I am so grateful that the roommate/housing situation has worked out so well. Originally I remember I felt like that was the "one drawback" to Clackamas. So grateful Conner's family was able to get so much done and that you have your own room and that it's going well. Very grateful!Really, those skillet meals are PERFECT for your situation, making meals on your own, quick and easy but pretty healthy. I think I tried making a big batch of alfredo chicken from scratch, but I think you guys liked the frozen bags better. Too bad the "favorite noodles" aren't still around, they were tasty and so easy! I know I've tried a few other brands a time or two, pretty good. I'll have to look at what's available and grab one or two for Coop to try too. I remember after Landon's ACL surgery I went shopping for him and he had me pick up something similar, but more of a veggie stir fry. Maybe he added chicken himself? I can't quite remember. Your brothers are perfecting their dinner skills. Cal and Keaton both have their own Blackstone grill now. Keaton says he has fried rice perfected. Landon and Keaton both have a sous vide. Something to aim for eventually? Take after your dad/uncles and get a smoker/blackstone?Hope you've been sleeping. Your dad laid down to rest his eyes a little before 8:00 last night ... and didn't wake up until 5:00 in the morning!
From Colton (October 28, 2024)

u and miss seeing your cute face!


No comments:
Post a Comment