We hope
everyone is doing well! Happy Birthday Shane today -- Seth tomorrow and Derek
and Amber on Tuesday!! My birthday was last Wednesday and it was nice! A few
people dropped off little gifts and treats, which was nice! Rick brought my car in to Costco to get the tires rotated
-- something that has been on my to-do list for a couple of weeks now. He then brought
me out for take-out from Apollo Burger (my choice because I love their salads
so much). I was excited to go since I hadn't gone anywhere outside of our
neighborhood (except for a couple of stores) for the past six weeks! We went to
a pretty park in Washington to eat it and then stopped at Walmart to pick up a
couple of things I wanted for my birthday and then grabbed some of my favorite
ice-cream from Albertsons. When we came home there was a rose and package of
mini recess peanut butter cups from Jase and Ellen (my favorite candy) and
Jaiden and Jenna had made a gluten free chocolate cake from scratch! We all had
cake and ice-cream and sang "Happy Birthday."
Jaiden
ran for student council and won, so she is one of the Junior Class Officers
(over Activities and Assemblies) for next year. Rick and I were a little
worried about her running because she is already involved in so many activities
next year, so hopefully she won't be too overwhelmed! Jaiden and Janelle are in
the process of trying out for Madrigals again. Then the dance teacher at the
high school reached out to Jaiden and asked her if she would be interested in
helping her get dance company up and running again at the high school. Jaiden
is interested, but this is again one more big commitment -- and one she wasn't
planning on. Thinking about next year and how busy Jaiden and Janelle will be
make me appreciate this quarantine time even more, ha ha! Jaiden and Jenna's
dance studio actually opened back up last week (while trying to keep their
dancers six feet apart). They are going forward with their concert at the end
of the month and are extending rehearsal times and adding in extra practices to
try and get the show together in time! They weren't able to have it in the huge
auditorium of Desert Hills High School as originally planned (since it is
closed) and so they moved to the indoor theater at Tuacahn, which is much
smaller, and adding in an extra performance. They are limiting guests to 2-4
people per family. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.
Jenna was
scheduled for Ivins soccer and Josh was scheduled to be a ref (his first job)
but they had to cancel the season. Jenna didn't seem to care too much and
neither did I (except we only got $11.00 back from the original $45.00, but
they supposedly get to keep the uniforms. I haven't seen them yet though). I
was actually a little relieved since the games fell the same nights as her
dance -- something I didn't realize when I signed her up. Josh, however, had
been SO excited about his reffing job and was quite upset that the season
cancelled. His competitive soccer season is still up in the air. The soccer
organization is really fighting to be able to move forward with their season
but has not received approval yet. By the time they finally do receive approval
it might be in the middle of the summer with the kids playing in triple digit
temperatures -- which sounds miserable! If it does cancel I wonder if we will
get any of our money back or just lose it?
We had
our family masquerade last week and it was really fun! Here is a picture.
There
are a lot more pictures and details on my blog: MASQUERADE BALL
Here is the link to our funny "runway modeling of the masks."
Josh's is especially hilarious: https://www. youtube.com/playlist?list= PLKsXbNSBh18tBpqS9H5UuWnPeyqcd T5M7
We put the pool up a week ago and it has already gotten LOTS of use!
The kids have been swimming several hours a day!!
(Our kids and the family we are quarantining with). It has been a life saver!
Josh started working on wood projects in the shed and has made several little houses. He spends hours out there working on them! This first house was just made with wood scraps from our old box springs. Since then he has made two more cute little houses half this size. He gave one to Jenna to use with her little clay creations.
For her Civil War project on the Underground Railroad she made little figures all out of clay depicting the slaves escaping...
I went upstairs one day to find the girls' bathroom mirror covered in things they are grateful for!
Then Rick added the "I'm grateful I have awesome daughters!"
Rick got a few musicals for the family to watch together: We watched "Hairspray," "Thoroughly Modern Millie," "Singing in the Rain," and the next one will we be "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers."The kids are excited for Mother's Day Tea next Sunday and are starting to think of characters they want to be.
Janika and Brandon decided to join in on Josh's "Painting of the Month" contest. They couldn't find any paint brushes and had to use their fingers -- and toothpicks. Needless to say, they didn't win, but we printed off their pictures and hung them up. Jaiden's picture of the roses won first place, Janelle's picture of the kite won second place, and Janika's picture of the river won third. Brandon's Covid 2020 of someone in jail didn't win, so he didn't agree with the judging, ha ha! Janika did though -- and so did I!
I have been doing a lot of work on Dropbox -- organizing and labeling pictures. It has been fun seeing all of these old pictures and finding details from my journals to go with them! I just read in my journal yesterday that in 1982 we got our traditional boxes of sugar cereal for Easter and Chris ate both his boxes in one day, ha ha!
Yesterday I called one of our local thrift shops (Switchpoint) and asked if they were currently accepting donations and they were!! Yay! So we dropped off about eight big garbage bags filled with clothes and things I had collected this past month! I still need to do a lot more deep cleaning and will be more motivated now that some of the stores are open.
Well I had better get to bed. We actually have a busy day tomorrow. Jen -- I am surprised that Colton is finished with his school work by ten! My kids generally aren't finished until about 1:00 or so. They start their school every morning around 8:30, unless Jaiden has roped them all into the basement to do her killer workouts with her first. At 11:30 they all break for lunch and then play a round of croquet or something and then get back to their school work. I think everyone is getting a 4.0 still, so that's good! Jaiden has a huge packet due Tuesday and so she has been reading all weekend trying to finish the book in order to finish it. Jase also got a 4.0 (or 3.9 or something) at Dixie -- even with his difficult classes. One of his classes that he was worried about decided to grade on a curve and he had the highest score on the final and so he got a surprise A on that which totally boosted his grade!
Rick went and visited many of his seminary students on their doorstep (ones he was worried about mainly) with some gummy bears and a little thought to go with it. He said it was very beneficial and that he kids were very receptive. He has finished with his deaf class and so his schedule is starting to wind down.
The kids have all been doing well. Janelle is still working quite a bit at Papa Murphy's and has to start wearing a mask tomorrow. I cleaned out our laundry room and set up the sewing machine. Janelle and Jenna tried making masks today on our machine but it kept jamming up and so they didn't turn out well. I told Rick that maybe we needed a new sewing machine. He said that he has been telling me that for years. I don't sew and so I figured it just needed to be fixed, but we have already gotten it fixed several times and it is still not working well. We have enough masks to get by for now though.
Have a great week everyone!! Wendy






No comments:
Post a Comment