Three updates from January 2006
Blackham Update #1
Well - these last couple weeks have been pretty full,
haven’t they?
I
think our last real update was after my last doctor’s appointment, when I said
I was dialated to a 11/2 and about 40% effaced. That night I came home and had
some pretty good Braxton Hicks contractions, and through the week had a couple
things that made me wonder “Is it time?” although they didn’t continue to any
pressing point. I think during that week I probably was moving through the
first stage of labor, because early in the morning of December 20, I woke up in
active “stage two” labor (3-4 minutes apart) and it didn’t even take an hour
for me to determine we should probably head into the hospital. Luckily, I had
made some emergency plans with the our main babysitter (15 year old gal who
lives next door) to come, even in the night.
When
we got to the hospital the staff there determined that I could stay (seeing
that I was at an 8). This was about where we were at coming in for Callahan and
Keaton’s births, which happened within an hour of getting to the hospital, so
Grayson called the Grandma’s to come out if they wanted. I was given an
epidural and...we waited. Nothing much happened for several hours so they
finally introduced some pitocin to get things moving again. Everyone headed out
for a little breakfast and made it back for the birth, which happened just
after 9:00 in the morning. For being 9 pounds 6 ounces, everything went really
smoothly, no problems.
Back
at home we celebrated Christmas Eve and Christmas, seeing many of you, but
missing some. Colton was doing good, a
little mixed up with nights and days but not too bad. It was on Christmas that
Cooper started not feeling well, with a fever and cough. The next day Gray and
I came down with it, then on Tuesday, Landon and Callahan followed. It was a
horrible cough with a fever, that created really bad body aches and sore
throat. Wednesday, the baby had a mild fever and was more lethargic than usual,
not really eating much. I called our pediatrician but the office was closed (I
found out later he was out Wednesday and Thursday...with the flu). When Grayson
got home and we got the other boys to bed, I decided it would better to be safe
than sorry, and I ran the baby into the Kidscare (Instacare for Kids).
I
think I was expecting them to say it was ok and give me things to watch for
that would signal something more serious. Instead, with his fever of 101.5 they
said we needed to get him up to Primary Children’s Hospital as soon as possible
(but said as he was stable we could transport him ourselves rather than calling
an ambulance). I called Grayson to give him the heads up (and a few extra
minutes to find a babysitter that could stay late with three sick kids – our
“old” babysitter who is 20 and in college/working left a date to come over).
This
was our first “ER” visit (not bad with 5 boys, although we’ve had several
Instacare tramas) and I’ve heard the horror stories of having to wait for hours
and such. I don’t know if it was a relief or alarming to have a baby with a
fever get us right in. Probably the most stressful and traumatic part was all
the initial tests. I guess I’m not sure if they were all really necessary,
because with everyone sick at home it seemed logical it would be the same
thing. They took all his “fluids” for testing... a urine sample, using a
catheter–although Colton seemed more than willing to provide a sample, (urine
and poop!), blood (starting an IV as well), nose contents, and even a spinal
tap (to test for meningitis and strep B). The baby didn’t even cry as much as
you would think, seeming to sleep through many of the tests (once again, is
this reassuring or cause for alarm that he is so lethargic?). Finally around
4:00 in the morning, they found a room for us in the “Rapid Treatment Unit”
(Grayson like the name of the department, especially after one doctor mentioned
a 5-7 day stay). There was a small cot for the parent to sleep, no bathroom
(although there was a community one right across the hall) and a crib for the
baby, where he was hooked up to monitors to check his heartrate, breathing and
oxygen level. It was a little hard to maneuver him with all the wires and
tubes, but we did ok. Grayson finally left to go relieve the babysitter and try
to get some sleep.
Colton’s
tests came back with a positive result for the “Influenza A” virus. Luckily,
the baby never really seemed “sick” - back before the fever when the rest of us
were down I was in tears thinking of him getting it, with the horrible cough
and all. I just couldn’t imagine his little body going through that. While he
coughed a few times, it was never really bad. They gave him some Tylenol to
bring down his fever and help with his comfort, but it wasn’t even necessary
after a day or so. His heart rate was a little high, his breathing a little
shallow and fast (but not really labored the way I have seem on some RSV
warning commercials), his oxygen dropped some on Friday and they put him on
oxygen (another tube to keep track of) and that delayed our going home (they
usually won’t discharge within 24 hours of needing oxygen) but I wasn’t quite
ready to go home Friday night, still fearing that he could get worse. The night
went fine however, and Saturday they took Colton off oxygen and he did ok
during the day. Our pediatrician checked in and thought he should stay just one
more day to be safe.
The
stay in the hospital wasn’t bad. Like I said, maneuvering around the tubes and
wires was a bit of a challenge, but we managed. I read and watched TV (they had
a couple movie channels so I saw a number of shows I hadn’t seen). I got plenty
of “rest” but very little sleep. They would check his vitals every four hours,
and it seems like at night I would have just finally gotten him to sleep when
they would come in, waking him up again. As I wasn’t the patient, no meals were
brought in (not that hospital food is a big winner with me anyway but...) I had
grabbed some granola bars and crackers and put them in my hospital bag (which I
hadn’t unpacked from coming home from the birth) and Grayson brought up some
additional snacks when he visited. I only hit the cafeteria about once a day
though, because I didn’t like to leave the baby alone.
Sunday
we got the ok to go home, and it is good to be home! There is something a
little reassuring about having the heart rate, breathing and oxygen right there
visible where you can see it though. I find myself checking the baby to make
sure he is breathing and comfortable.
Back
at the house, Landon was pretty much over the flu, but Callahan was still a
little under the weather, and Keaton seemed to be coming down with it after all
(we thought maybe it had passed him by). Cooper had been feeling better, but
seems to be having a relapse now, and the cough seems to be hanging on with
Grayson and myself. Baby has been a
little stuffy, but ok.
I
took him into the doctor for his follow-up (and two-week checkup) and he now
weighs 10 pounds 8 ounces, so he has gained back all he lost plus some (he is a
good eater!). He was still 22 inches long though, no change from birth.
Yesterday
it was back to school for the boys, luckily they seem to have recovered in time
to go back to school. One of them had made the comment to Grandma “We’re
supposed to get sick during school, not during vacation!”. After sleeping in for a couple weeks, we sure
had a hard time getting up early again.
Other
than all the sick stuff, things have been going pretty smoothly with the new
baby. I have had a lot of laundry to catch up on though! The biggest challenge
is probably the Cooper/Colton combination. My two-year old just doesn’t
understand that Mommy isn’t always available to jump at his commands. He will
stand by me repeating what he wants over and over again until I’m about nuts!
Other times he just follows me around saying “Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy” for
no real reason. He’s actually quite the Daddy’s boy, and after having daddy
around so much the last two weeks I think he is a little lost without him.
Well,
Mom asked for an update, so I hope this fits the bill.
Jen
and da boys
Blackham Update #2 ~ January 20, 2006
Jen
and da boys
Blackham Update #2 ~ January 20, 2006
Chris wrote that "we" (the Westra Siblings) write these about once a week...I think I’m a little more like once a month. Life with 5 little boys is going pretty good so far. There has been a day or two when I’ve been pretty overwhelmed by it all, but most days have been good. Colton is a really good baby (just like all have been) so that is extremely helpful.
- COLTON: I took the baby in for his two week appointment a couple weeks ago and he weighed 10 pounds 8 ounces, yet still just measured 22 inches long (same as at birth). It makes me wonder if perhaps the initial measurement was incorrect (especially as at Primary Childrens they measured him at 221/2). He seems to be growing well and I’’ve already had to set aside several articles of clothing that are too small. He generally wakes up around two-three times during the night, but usually is ready to go back to sleep, so I’’m only up around 30 minutes or so each time. He does take a bottle, so that will free me up a little. I just bought a new swing (our other lasted through four kids then broke, I didn’’t think I’’d find anything I liked as much as that, but this one is pretty nice too) and Colton seems to like it.
- COOPER: Ahhh, life with a two-year old is never dull. Coop is talking more, although still not really in sentences or anything. He has been watching the "Signing Time" shows and using quite a bit of sign language too, it is very cute! Grandma bought a Wiggles sleeping bag for Cooper for Christmas, and it has come in handy as since the baby has come home Cooper has been kicked out of his bedroom. With no place to go (the older three boys fill up the other room) he sleeps in his "Wiggles Bed" next to our bed. I got a nightlight so I won’’t step on him as I come and go in the night. Thus far, Cooper hasn’’t been jealous (although once he did follow me saying "Baby DOWN") and is very "helpful" bringing me binkys and bottles (fingers all over the nipples) and blankets. He is very concerned when "Baby Sad" and will say and sign "baby sad" whenever Colton lets out a peep.
- KEATON: Keaton’’s greatest struggle right now is eating dinner. It seems whatever I make he doesn’’t like it...and later when he doesn’’t get a treat, he gets very upset and emotional. I even let him pick the dinner (he selected noodles) so we had Chicken Alfredo, but then he decided he didn’’t really like it. After not playing with the gameboys for a couple of months, all three boys have a renewed interest and Keaton loves it when his brothers go to school and he doesn’’t have to share for a few hours.
- CALLAHAN: Basketball season has started up again (after the holiday break), and Callahan loves to play and go to practices with Landon and Dad. He always asks if Daddy will take them over to the church to play in the gym there. Even in this winter weather, you can find him outside playing tetherball! Callahan is really progressing with his reading, moving up to "AR" books, which means he takes tests and earns points at school. I enlist his help with Keaton (reviewing his reading and helping with homework) and reading to Cooper.
- LANDON: My biggest boy can be a big help with me with my little boys, although sometimes he’’ll get Colton up and bring him to me when I didn’’t hear the baby cry. He’’s even given the baby a bottle. The kid doesn’’t seem to need a lot of sleep (oh how envious am I) and is always getting up really early (sometimes around 5:00 or so). I’’ve told him that I actually want him to stay in bed until at least 6:00 or 6:30.
- GRAYSON: Church and work keep my hubby pretty busy. Now that we’’ve changed to the 9:00 am schedule, he has to prepare his lessons before Sunday (he teaches the older teens in Sunday School). One calling apparently isn’’t enough, as he is also Landon’’s scout leader, with many young boys invading our house each Wednesday. His employment has been rough lately, and he may be looking for a change in the near future...of course that would be after the trip to Cancun in early February, which he is taking Landon as I can’’t leave the baby and don’’t want to take a newborn out of the country.
I’’m just trying to survive as "Mom" –– I found the house goes fine without me, except for laundry (I had to do several loads after coming home from the hospital both times) and the mail (Grayson doesn’’t even check the mailbox). We’’ve pretty much stayed home and away from the world (and germs and stuff) but I’’ve gotten out shopping and to appointments a couple times while the kids stay home with a sitter. Cooper completely breaks down whenever anyone comes over, as he thinks then they will tend while I leave.
That is our New Year thus far –– I hope it holds more sleep for me than what is currently happening! Jen and da boys
Blackham Update #3 (January
30, 2006)
As I got updates from Chris, Wendy and Mom&Dad, I figured it was
our turn....
- OH BABY: Last night Colton only woke up once! Hopefully that will continue, or even get better (all night, can one imagine?) He’ll smile occasionally, but not really in response to us. He’s really growing fast, Grayson thinks the “size 1" diapers are too small (I still have a package left, I never know how far ahead to buy certain sizes). I try to give him a bottle every once in a while to keep up the ability, and I even gave him one of formula which he took fine. It’s nice just to have some flexibility.
- DENTAL DAYS: I chipped a tooth back in November but figured I had to wait until after the baby was born to get it fixed (just per timing, xrays, etc.) I finally got in to my dentist (just a couple minutes away from home) on MLK Jr. Day (able to get a babysitter with kids out of school) but it needed a root canal and the root curved, so he recommended I go to an endodontist. There was one Mom had been to out by her, so I made an appointment for the following Tuesday (a day without Keaton’s 12-2 preschool, luckily works out that Mom and Dad can tend on that day). The appointment went fine, but I’m still in some pain, and still need to go back there, then to my regular dentist for the crown. I also took Landon and Callahan in to the pediatric dentist nearby (we have a TON of dentists so close here!) and they both need a bunch of work-extractions, fillings. Their followup appointment is Feb7, same as mine. That will be a dental day!
- BORDER BOUND: Well, Wednesday morning Grayson and Landon will be heading out to warm Cancun. This is the annual Hamlet Homes “reward” trip. Of course it is usually the spouse that accompanies, but I wasn’t about to leave the baby, nor take him with out of the country. This will be Landon’s second trip, as he also went with Daddy to Florida a couple years ago when Cooper was a baby (and I was really busy with work). I don’t envy the travel itself, standing in lines at the airport and such, but I sure wouldn’t mind a few days in the sun relaxing. It will be tough at home without having Daddy or Landon to give me a break. Hopefully they will have a lot of fun, and I’ve told Landon to remember the sunscreen (I know Daddy won’t!).
- TENDING TRIALS: Before the baby came I was able to get out for errands with just Cooper while the other boys were in school. Now, they are off track, and with the baby I don’t go anywhere. But Landon has been so good helping out, being in charge while I take a shower or nap, that I’ve actually left him “babysitting” for a short time. I still need to run Keaton to school (within the neighborhood) so that is only a 2-3 minute trip (these were our first trials). Then I left the boys while I ran to Landon’s old dentist to pick up his x-rays (so the new dentist could see them), that was about 10 minutes. I even ran to the store for milk (there and back in 20 minutes). It’s good having my cell phone with me just in case, and usually the baby has been asleep the whole time anyway. I actually really like having Landon around when we do have a babysitter, because I think he can be a big help to her if she needs to know where something is, or how to run something (the tv, tivo, remote) and I rely on him to help with the computer games with the other boys (I don’t know anything about them!).
- DERBY DAD: One of Grayson’s Christmas Purchases (for himself) was a Pinewood Derby Track. He gets a little frustrated with how badly they are run sometimes (or not done at all if they can’t get a track) and figured that we’d have a kid in scouts for the next 11 years...and I think he’s just into it! He got it all set up in our unfinished basement and they were running practice races the other day. They called a friend to get some additional cars and had a blast. Grayson of course, being such a gadget guy is going very high tech, hooking up electronic probes on the track to his computer to time the races down to fractions of a second. He’s also thinking of ways to incorporate the video camera and projector to display the finish line for everyone to see more clearly, and to show “instant replays” and such. Maybe we’ll end up recouping some of the “investment” if he’s asked to run races for other wards/stakes and can charge a fee or something. It won’t pay for his time of course, but like I said, I think he’s just a little boy at heart so it is something he will enjoy, and I do know he’ll make it unlike any other derby races out there.
Well
- that’s the gist of what’s been going on in the Blackham household!

No comments:
Post a Comment