Monday, February 20, 2006

Blackham Update~ February 2006

Three Email Updates sent in February

Blackham Update #1 (0203) 
Well, I just thought I'd write a little update on the Blackham Bunch, those of us here in Utah, and the two boys across the border in Mexico.

Monday and Tuesday were busy prepping for Grayson and Landon to head off to Mexico early Wednesday morning. Callahan has been a real handful lately, and I think I would have been less stressed if it had been him going instead of Landon, but it was too late to make any changes. Tuesday was also my six-week checkup at the doctor, everything was fine of course. I've lost all the weight I gained (about 30 pounds). Now if I could just lose 30+ more! Actually, I almost didn't make it to my appointment, as I went to leave the car battery was completely dead. Luckily I had a neighbor who could give me a quick jump.The flight was leaving Wednesday morning at 8:00, so the boys were supposed to be at the airport at 6:00. I was up with the baby around 5:30 as Grayson was in the shower, so I went to wake Landon. He popped right up, fully dressed (even down to the shoes). They were all packed, so they got off pretty smoothly. 

 As Grayson is gone to work most of the day anyway, these days aren't too different than normal. Wednesday, Keaton had preschool and we all packed up to pick him up and run several errands (library, bank, gas station). At night, sometimes a kid or two (or three) will take advantage of Daddy gone to jump in his space in the bed, but none have so far. Cooper prefers to sleep on the floor next to me in his "wiggles" bed.Thursday Keaton's preschool was canceled (the teacher was sick) and as Mom and Dad didn't have their downtown shift, I packed up the boys and we went out for a visit. Mom and I ended up going out to lunch, leaving the four boys with Grandpa (Colton was sleeping and stayed that way while we were gone).

The kids are off track, so we've had tons of friends over every day. Sometimes I really like friends, because they help keep my kids busy and entertained (especially Callahan), but other times...when my kids are beinggood anyway, it gets a little exhausting to have the whole neighborhood living over here. Some of the kids are so LOUD, and it drives me crazy when my kids end up doing something else, and the neighbor kids are just downstairs playing basketball, gamecube or the arcade games all alone. Wednesday I was glad to go pick up Keaton just to have a legitimate excuse to kick everyone out. When we came home from Mom's on Thursday, we hadn't even pulled into the garage before friends were over...I think they stake us out!

This evening (Friday) Callahan went with a friend and his team to the Jazz game downtown (they get a ticket as part of the Junior Jazz). He has his last game tomorrow (Landon is missing his). Grayson is glad to have basketball season over and has said "no more sports" for just a little bit...I think he misses his Saturdays.I think my boys miss each other. Wednesday Callahan was practically in tears asking when Landon would be back (I also think he wasn't feeling well, he's been a little under the weather every evening, maybe just overdoing it during the day? He actually threw up Monday night.) Tonight while Callahan is gone, Keaton is driving me CRAZY asking when Callahan will be home (every five minutes!).

Maga had planned on taking the boys for a sleepover tonight, but then with the basketball game...she was still going to take Keaton and Cooper, but I was afraid of what Callahan would do home alone (with just me and the baby) so we're putting that off a night.I have heard from Grayson and they are having fun. Wednesday was mostly traveling...they did have some turbulence over Houston (they changed planes there) that stressed him out. Thursday he and Landon went swimming (not sure if it was in the ocean or the pool) but Grayson said the weather hasn't been too cooperative, overcast and windy. He said the weather today was better, they went to Xel-Ha, which is a resort. They went snorkeling and Grayson did a "Sea Trek" where he walks underwater with a big helmet pumped with oxygen to breathe. One of the other employees also was taking a child, which has been nice company for Landon.They are staying at the same hotel Gray and I did last year. Grayson said there are some big changes as the area was hit hard during hurricane season. He said the hotel next door to them is vacant, with all the windows gone. Much of the beach had been washed away, and they are currently in the process of pumping sand from the ocean floor to replenish it.Gray and Landon will be returning home on Sunday. Their flight should arrive around 8:00 in the evening. I think all the employees probably need a day off before returning to work...vacations can be exhausting! Going back to work Monday morning will be difficult for all I'm sure. That's what's been going on here - hope all is well with all of you.



Blackham Update #2 (0207)
It was a Dental Day! Me and the boys! I went out to the endodontist today to finish up my root canal...now I just have to go to my regular dentist for the crown and stuff. I took advantage of the parents babysitting to run to the store after, but I shouldn't have, as it pushed the time too close to the boys dentist appointments. We barely made it home in time to drop off the little ones and take the older ones to the dentist. Luckily, the office is only 1 minute away.
The dentist went ok. Callahan said it still hurt some when his tooth was pulled, but he's doing fine now and they said he was really brave.
I could hear Landon crying out. I think he must have really sensitive gums and such, the deadening never seems to be quite enough. Landon had three teeth pulled, and one hurt him quite a bit, poor kid. The doctor said he did really good too.
All I can say is the dang tooth fairy had better remember to come tonight! She isn't very responsible. Both boys need to go back in for a little more work (fun, fun) too. I had both boys together thinking that would make things easier, but they weren't back at the same time, so I scheduled thier next appointments seperately, as that let me make later appointments that I can get babysitters easier for. I had to have two different babysitters to cover the time from 3-5:30.
As for Landon's tamagotchi(left at Grandmas)...it takes constant care, so I guess it will just have to die (he can reset it when he gets it back). Our little fishbowl looks a little more crowded with three fishes. Speedy (the first fish) can explain to the others to watch for the flake fish food, as these "wild" fish aren't used to that.

Blackham Update #3 (02/13)
Well, last Monday the big boys went back to school after being off track for three weeks. While it will be nice to be on a schedule again, and have less kids (my own and the entire neighborhood) around all day everyday, off-track time does have its advantages. Some of us got very used to sleeping in...getting everyone up, dressed, fed and out the door (we drive carpool to school) by 8:15 can be a challenge. Actually Landon is always up and at it very early, but everyone else...Another benefit of the off-track was having Landon home to help with the baby (although his interest waned somewhat) and to tend for quick errands. Cooper cried for Landon the first two mornings we dropped the boys off at school, it was sad. But we'll manage. Here is what else has been going on...
  • BABY BUSINESS: Colton is growing so big and now is awake a lot more (although he still sleeps much of the day which is helpful to getting things done). He is smiling and cooing, and like Addison, likes the toy that he lays under and kicks to make it play music and move. I had this with the other kids but don't remember using it as much as I am with Colton. I've had to go though a lot of the clothes already, setting them aside for Wendy, Sandy (maybe Alicia too?). I have taken several bags over to Mom’s house for anyone who wants to look through and I'll keep adding to it as Colton keeps growing. I might keep just a few things (just in case) but we’re pretty much going to get rid of all outgrown clothes at this point. Glad there are babies coming that can use them. Colton did go several nights with just waking up once, although he’’s gone back to twice a night. I can't tell you how good the mornings felt when I had only had to get up one time - hope that comes back. I’’m still waiting for the first FULL nights sleep.
  • SUPER SIGNS: Wendy introduced us to the "Signing Time" series when we visited them last summer, and we had gotten the DVDs from the library to watch. We were happy when I noticed they would be on television (channel 9) and I've recorded them to our TIVO so we can watch them anytime. Cooper LOVES them and so do the other boys. Cooper uses the food signs (apple, banana, cracker, bread, cereal, milk, etc.) and "mommy" "daddy" "thankyou" on a daily basis. As he watches, he will always do every sign as it is shown. My favorite ones to see him do are the "emotion" signs, because they require facial expressions as well, and he is so hilarious! "Grumpy" "Surprised" "Happy" "Sad" (he always says and signs "sad" when the baby cries). The next ones coming up (Monday at 3:30) are the very latest ones that we haven't ever seen because the library didn't have them (although I had just checked and they were "on order/in processing" now). The songs are really cute and catchy too, and all have a great positive message.
  • TRACKING TRENDS: I can go months and months without even looking at anything on ebay, and then I go on a buying craze. With Callahan’’s birthday coming up, I've been trying to get him some specific Pokemon cards he really wants. He hadn't played with his cards in a while, but we cleaned out the toyboxes, found a whole bunch that had been misplaced, and now they are a favorite again. He doesn't quite understand how the whole "bidding" process of ebay works (that I don't just "buy" something outright, but have to wait until the auction ends, see if we get outbid, then even if you do win it has to be shipped to us). He asks me every hour if the cards are coming yet. We actually saved some of the images from the computer screen and printed them out, making "fake" cards (but getting some really "rare" cards that are selling for $50-$100 as collectors items). Another popular item in the house right now are the "Wiggles". I picked up some wiggles jammies, and I have a heck of a time trying to get them off Cooper in the morning. I also bought him a little Wiggles car. You push down on the center and then the car goes forward, playing one of their songs. The first time I showed Cooper how to do it, I didn't want to bend over to push it, so I just used my foot. Now Cooper thinks that is the only way to do it, and he looks so funny lifting his leg and stepping on the car to make it go. Landon's current fascination is with his Tamagotchi toy (you have to feed it, clean up after it, praise it...it will grow if taken care of, die if you don't). The other boys want one too, but they are rather hard to find.
  • OLYMPIC MEMORIES: Anyone else watching the Olympics? We don't watch them all the time, but are trying to keep up with the competitions somewhat. Landon and I watched a lot of the opening ceremonies, which were cool. I generally TIVO them so we can just speed through things, watching just what interests us. In the pairs figure skating, one of the medal contenders ruptured his Achilles tendon six months ago...that was the same time Gray did. If we hadn't had our own personal experience with this, I probably wouldn't have even made note of this, but it is interesting how your own personal experience brings things close to home. That couple ended up getting bronze, while the silver and gold both had "injury" stories as well (the gold medal couple fell during a lift a couple years ago, knocking the female skater unconscious, the silver medal couple had a bad fall during the long program...but after a quick break to have the doctor check her and let her shake it off, they finished). Interesting how with a fall in figure skating, you can still actually win, while a fall in speed skating and you are totally out. I felt sorry for Apollo who slipped this year knocking him out of competition, last Olympics he didn't even fall, but someone fell into him, knocking him out then too.
  • BLESSING & BIRTHDAY: Well - With Callahan’’s birthday coming up, we'll probably have a family party...I don't know any specifics yet. Maybe we could combine with Scott and Amy for McKenna and Alisa? Also, I guess we’ll be blessing Colton March 5th. Unfortunately we are the 9:00 church, and I know I’m having a hard time making it there, and we are only one minute away. So don't feel obligated to come, Gray and I don't feel neglected, but know you are welcome if you want to see if you can make it. We'll most likely have a little something at the house afterward.
Also - A funny from the older boys. As they came in from school today they were each sucking on an icicle. I said "Yuck, guys, the water has run down from the roof, it's all dirty..." to which Callahan replied "It's ok, we didn't get from the roof, we got it off the garbage can."



No comments:

Post a Comment