Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Blackham Updates (May 2006)


Blackham Update May 2, 2006


Well, Grayson has now been “off” for two weeks. Actually, he hasn’t really been around all that much, no days lazing in bed watching television. He’s been helping out quite a bit with the Bountiful house, doing a lot of the finishing touches and clean up. He figures it is only fair as he and his partner are splitting the profit, but the other guy has (up until now) done all the work (we were the money). Gray actually loves having a hammer in his hand again though. He is a little anxious for his new job to start, but while they’d take him early, I don’t think he has decided to start yet. He did spend some time yesterday touring their models and doing some “research” and such.

Monday, Keaton went back to school (after a week off for his preschool spring break) but the big boys were still out. It’s always hard to remember to take him to school when Landon and Callahan are around. With Landon still out, I volunteered him (and me) to help out at a local care center (for elderly and handicapped folks) in our stake. It was our ward’s turn to help put on a Wednesday Relief Society meeting. I lead the music, and Landon played “I am a Child of God” on some little bells Grayson bought me a while back when I was primary chorister.  He did really well, he had a practice performance the day before when we were out at Mom and Dad’s (for the Westra Women’s Weekly Lunch - I wasn’t sure Mom and Dad would be up for it after having been gone all week at Wendy’s house, but they were so we went).

Wednesday evening was busy as Gray and Landon had scouts and  Keaton and Callahan had t-ball games (with pictures). We had Ana come out and tend the two babies, while I took the boys to the games. We have neighbor kids (brother and sister) on the teams with our boys, and it was good to have them there too, as the photos and games overlapped. Keaton’s game was so funny - last week the kids just stood there in the outfield, throwing their caps and mits, not paying attention at all. This week, almost EVERY child would go after the ball, diving for it into a dogpile. The child who got the ball would never throw it to anyone (if the kid assigned to first, second or third had actually stayed there and not joined in the fray) but just toss it to the other team’s coach (who was pitcher). The other mom took Callahan and her daughter Bailey over to pictures while Keaton and Jabob finished their game, then I took the two boys with their team over to pictures, while Callahan and Bailey headed back for their game. Pictures took a while, but the people in charge were really good with the kids, getting them in line tallest to shortest, then having them turn and put hands on shoulders like a train as they moved into position. After the picture they had everyone turn around and took a picture of the back of the shirts...I guess the sponsor (LandOLakes) wants to be sure their logo is on all the uniforms and that the uniforms are being worn. I missed almost all of Callahan’s game, but was there in time to see Callahan get hit in the eye with the ball (it bounced first, but he still dropped like a rock). He was fine...I joked with him that when we tell him to keep an eye on the ball, we didn’t mean it literally!

Thursday I made up a batch of my roll dough. Primedia (the company that puts out Creating Keepsakes magazine that I used to work for) is putting out a cookbook and I had submitted the recipe and tomorrow is the taste test. Grayson went and picked up a load of nice dirt to add to the flowerbeds and they look quite nice now. In the evening, Grayson and I went out with another couple (his partner in the Bountiful house). They were taking us out as a thank you for backing the house, as it is the first real profit he has made and it really helped them out. They took us to Flemmings, an upscale steakhouse downtown at the Gateway. When we got home, Keaton wanted to show us something...he went and jumped on a neighbor girls bike (his is out of commission) and rode it, with no training wheels. Our babysitter had worked with him (a little last fall too). He hadn’t really had much help from Grayson (with his Achilles injury and me being pregnant) so I do think Nicole taught him how (with a little natural talent on Keaton’s part). Nicole is the same babysitter who a year ago, announced that Keaton had gone in the potty (for the first time at home, the last day in diapers), so she has a couple big milestones to her name in our family. She’s the same sitter I called at 3:00 in the morning when I was in labor with Colton.

Friday, I took finished baked goods (cinnamon and orange rolls, dinner rolls, breadsticks) to the Primeda office in Bluffdale. I stopped in and said hello to the editor and other people I had worked with. It was fun to talk to them and catch up a little. In the evening, I went to a baby shower for Grayson’s side of the family.

It’s funny, after several kids, you kind of need another shower, because so many of the items don’t make it through more than three children. I just had to go to the store and buy another walker because the one we had been using (Colton’s feet don’t touch the ground, but he likes being in an upright position) had broken. I need to get a highchair too. I probably have enough clothes, but I do still tend to pick up some new ones here and there too. While sometimes it is fun seeing the kids in the same clothes their older brothers wore, at times my tastes change, or I just want something new.

Yesterday the big boys went back to school. I do like being back on a schedule, with dinner, homework and bed at specific times, each and every night. We’re looking about getting Landon in some sort of reading or tutoring program for the summer, as he’s a little behind. Anyone know of a good program? I try working with him myself but he just doesn’t work that well with me. I remember years ago, a gal in our ward who was working toward an elementary school teaching certificate needed to work with some kids and came over to read with Landon. I remember sitting back and thinking, “He doesn’t read to me like that!” He just mopes and complains! Anyway, this girl, since married and moved away (now has three kids) was visiting (her parents in the ward) and Landon saw her and said “Is that Stephanie?” – he remembered, it must have made an impact.

Callahan is home from school today with a nasty flu bug. He has thrown up several times, and poor guy doesn’t have anything in his tummy so it is just yucky stomach stuff that burns his throat. We had to cancel our Weekly Westra Woman’s lunch (or at least I didn’t get to go, Alicia and Mom still attended I believe)  so I hope without my weekly “sanity saver” I don’t go crazy. And I hope none of the other kids (or Gray or I) get this!

That’s all from us for now!
Jen and da boys 



Blackham Update 05-15-2006

Hope everyone (Mom’s especially) had a good day yesterday. Even with our 9:00 church schedule the boys and Daddy made me breakfast in bed. The boys helped me eat it too. We got a little potted flower at church.

Last week was a busy one. Since Grayson got off, we’ve been spending a lot of time getting the basement cleaned out. There was a ton of stuff there, and there were many trips to Deseret Industries, but it was finally emptied out.

Tuesday we had a framer come out and work on the walls. We have the big finished family room, and now we’re going to finish two bedrooms, a bathroom and the hall, with a lot of storage cabinets there. One bedroom will be for Landon and Callahan to share. I’m so excited to have more closet space (currently three boys are sharing one closet/one room). Keaton will stay upstairs (I don’t know, he may end up sleeping down with his brothers) and he and Cooper will share the room. Colton has his own room (I’ll be able to move Cooper’s clothes out, which will be helpful!). The second room downstairs will be a den for Grayson. Currently, his laptop and big color printer have had a home on the kitchen table. It will be nice to have a spot for his stuff too. Eventually we will probably let it be a room for Landon, moving Keaton in with Callahan, Colton in with Cooper, and Gray’s den upstairs.

A few years ago Grayson gave me a drinking fountain (like in schools and churches) but we never got it installed. It will go downstairs too. It will be really nice for the kids not to have to run upstairs to use the bathroom or to get a drink. The hallway will have a lot of storage space and I’m already mentally filling it up. There will still be the exercise room and food room that are in a half-finished state, and we’ll just leave them as is, but there will be doors, so if they are closed, everything will looking done.

Also on Tuesday we had a shed installed in the backyard. We have a big garden patch that we haven’t had the time or energy to do anything with, so that is where we put the shed. It will hold some stuff from the garage (tools, etc) freeing up the garage. There is still quite a bit of garden space around the shed, and hopefully with a smaller section, it will be more manageable. I hope to get a garden planted this year. I’ve been working on my three small flowerbeds and while I don’t love the weeding and such, I do enjoy having pretty flowers around. My lilac tree I planted over five years ago is blooming for the first time.

Wednesday and Saturday were the last t-ball games for Keaton and Callahan. It was a short season (8 games in 4 weeks) and while it was fun, it’s always a bit of a relief when it ends. Both boys did really well and it was always fun watching them I do get a little too into the games, NOT in an over competitive way (like the hockey dad stories), in fact I’m just the opposite. I get frustrated when things don’t happen to make sure everyone is participating and having fun. Everyone is really supportive for the most part, cheering everyone, no one gets out...but so often one child totally hogs the ball, running to get it no matter where it is hit, never throwing to the other kids. I just wish the coach or parent would take the child in hand and make it a little more fun for everyone. Watching the other kids (misbehaving) I am often very thankful for my boys, they really are wonderful kids (most of the time)!


Landon and Callahan have been working hard earning points for big purchases they wanted. On Thursday,  Landon hit his goal (100 points) and Callahan was really close to his (85 points). Landon wanted a pair of “heelys” (shoes with wheels in the heels) and Callahan wanted rollerblades (he and Landon have been sharing an old pair). I took both big boys and we went out, first to the library where I helped them get their own library cards. They picked out some books and had a great time with the self-checkout. After that we went to Gart Brothers and picked out their shoes and rollerblades. Callahan was frustrated that he didn’t get to put them on right when we got home, but he still had 15 points to earn (he’s earned them now).

Saturday evening was fun, as we took out Shane and Alicia, Derek and Danielle (for birthdays) and Mom & Dad (Mother’s Day) to Tepanyaki. Not only is the food good, but it’s cooked right in front of you, so it’s very entertaining as well.

The boys still have over a month of school left. Keaton’s school actually ends in May, but his teacher offers a one month “summer” preschool, which keeps him busy until his brothers get out. We look forward to summer when we can go out and swim at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. I wonder if Cooper will want to go in the water this year (he wouldn’t touch it all last year). We could even take Colton in! He is getting so big, almost 5 months old. He’s rolling over all the time now, both ways. I’ll put him down on a blanket and the next thing I know he’s all the way across the room crashing into the wall. I’ve started him on cereal, but we don’t do it everyday yet.

Well, that’s the story at the Blackham house. Hope everything is good with all of you!
 Jen and da boys





  




No comments:

Post a Comment