Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Blackham Update (July/August 2008)


Blackham Summer 2008

Well, I didn’t get an update our for July, so I just figured I wait a couple of weeks and then recap the entire summer. The elementary school starts tomorrow, with Landon and Cooper shortly after. We’ve kept pretty busy and very rarely were the kids “bored” as sometimes can happen during the summer break.

This was a SWIMMING summer for the Blackham bunch. We always get some swimming in, as my  parents are so nice about letting us come swimming at their pool. But in the past, Cooper never wanted to get in. This year ... he’s a little fish. So getting him in the water, and getting he and Colton able to swim in their life jackets (thus not needing constant holding and supervision) has made it easier for me to take the boys to the pool. That wasn’t the only factor however, swimming lessons made an impact as well. I’ve never gotten around to putting the kids in lessons, it’s just so hard with lots of little ones. This year, a neighbor offered to take Keaton, so I signed him up. We went and observed him one of the days, and I decided to put the rest of the boys in. Cooper and Colton had a bit of a tough time at first (screaming the entire time) but Gray and I took the boys to the pool and helped acclimate them, and that really helped from then on. The older boys really mastered their swimming skills, which has made swimming more fun for us all. We’ve gone out to my folks at least once a week throughout the summer, we’ve gone several times to the pool where they take lessons, and we also went to the West Jordan outdoor pool.

Besides swimming - the boys had scouts. Landon had a week long camp up in the Uintas. Gray went up and joined him for a couple of days. Landon participated in a photo shoot promoting scouting ... I’m not sure if it is just local or if the pictures are for a broader audience. It was a fun experience for him. Callahan had a couple days of his day camp. He’s been busy playing basketball all summer too.

We did NOT get out camping this year, and we also missed out Stake Lagoon day, but we did go...
•                     to a movie theater (to see Kung Fu Panda)
•                     up the canyon (roasting marshmallows, climbing rocks)
•                     see a “Real” soccer game
•                     bowling
•                     to a Drive-In (Wall-E)
•                     play at the West Jordan Park
•                     have a barbeque with the neighbors
•                     show a movie (using the projector) on the garage
•                     shot cans with a BB gun

There is a new place “Jumping Jacks” that just opened up nearby. I hope to take the kids there soon. It has a whole bunch of big inflatables. We have Keaton’s baptism coming up, plus the birthdays for Cooper, Keaton and Landon.

Gray and I have been busy too. We’ve gone to a number of movies and gone out to dinner several times. We went to see the American Idol Concert, and had our 16th Anniversary. We also went to Grayson’s 20 year reunion.  Gray and I played tennis for an hour one night, and on another night we went for a four mile hike up the canyon.

So, school ... routine, will be starting up again. I hope we can I return to getting to bed and getting up at a reasonable time (we have enjoyed sleeping in, the boys have enjoyed “sleeping out” all together in the front room, downstairs, or even all in the boys room in the basement).

Best get the boys to bed! We plan on walking to school in the morning.
Jen and da boys

No comments:

Post a Comment