Monday, May 30, 2011

Blackham Update (May 2011)


Blackham Update ....

I’ve noticed since I started the Blackham Blog, I haven’t been sending out Blackham Updates as much. While the blog is pretty comprehensive of what’s going on around our house, I found as I looked through some past “updates” that I liked having everything gathered in one spot, presented as an outgoing letter ... so I’m going to try and start doing at least monthly updates, they are probably as much for my own record keeping as to keep you all up to date, but I thought I might as well share.

So May ...

  • School: After over FOUR weeks off track, the Columbia Kids went back to school. It’s always hard getting back into a routine. They are in school until July 1. Landon will be out this week, the he moves onto HIGH SCHOOL (and taking summer driver’s ed), Callahan will start Middle School (going to a different one than Landon did, with many from his basketball team). Colton “graduated” from preschool and is all ready for kindergarten.
  • Sports: Callahan and Keaton both finished up their basketball seasons. Callahan’s team demolished every team, so they are going to try playing “up” against 7th/8th graders for summer, then they will be 7th graders come Fall. After their successful season they tried an AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) Tournament. It is a VERY competitive thing, with teams coming from far away (we played teams from Idaho and Roy) ... I was glad it is so nice and close for us. Anyway, we got creamed, lost all three games. The team we played last is the one that took the tournament (out of 10 teams for 6th grade). It was a good experience anyway. Keaton is going to play summer basketball again too, not quite sure if the team as a whole is coming back, we’ll see. Colton’s soccer just finished up last night. I took over coaching after a couple games. Again, a good experience, but one I’m not sure I’ll do again. It’s just so hard to watch and enjoy it when you’re directing traffic! If Uncle Clay coaches summer soccer, we’ll probably do that. Cooper is signed up for the Fall ... hopefully NO broken arms!
  • Arm Update: Speaking of broken arms, we went in last week and they took off the cast. Cooper’s arm didn’t really heal straight, there is a noticeable bend and bump. They were going to send us home, cast free (after a little over 5 weeks) but Cooper (and I) were a little apprehensive about it being so unprotected (and I’m not sure I was ready to look at it yet!) so they put the cast back on for a couple more weeks. They just don’t like the elbow immobilized for so long, but the break was so high that a short cast (under the elbow) wouldn’t really help.  I was hoping to get his treatment complete before we changed insurance but ...
  • Insurance: When Gray moved from Symphony Homes to his current job, we stayed on Cobra for a while, but the cost was going up substantially. So we went looking for private insurance ... looking for private insurance is an ordeal! We did get coverage for me and the boys but are still trying for Grayson (who was turned down because of his high blood pressure and cholesterol from almost five years ago). While still on the current insurance (and with the boys off track) we had a LOT of appointments with doctors and dentists getting everything that needed to be done, done now (a few cavities, immunizations, prescription refills, etc). It’s been crazy!
  • All the Rest: It was actually April, but we switched rooms around (Landon up alone, Keaton  down with Callahan, Cooper and Colton sharing), Colton learned to ride a bike (now we’ve got to get Cooper trying it). Gray had four derbies last month, and three this month. Paracord projects have taken over the house ... There’s more on the blog ... http://blackhamboys.blogspot.com/


JenB


No comments:

Post a Comment