Sunday, October 11, 2015

Blackham ~ October Update (2015)


Blackham Bunch Update
Sun, Oct 11, 2015, 7:52 PM

Every Sunday night I prep a letter to Landon ... I guess I should just modify it a bit and send it out to family too. We'll see if I do it more than one week ;) Mom, if you would forward it on? I don't know if I have my addresses updated ...


Landon isn't the most prolific writer, but I have been updating the blog every week with his letters and photos. I also update his steps in Fitbit and include the step stats. It's fun to see where the extended family falls into his top 10. The brothers have been really good at writing him each week (and he is good at responding). You can see the blog at http://elderlandonblackham.blogspot.com/ and you can subscribe to it, and it it directly into your email (or I guess Mom is forwarding them on)?

Callahan has been SO busy lately, we hardly ever see him! I've been very impressed with his attitude and dedication with work and school. He's been getting up and off on his own each day (I do have my alarm set for 5:30, and a couple of times he hasn't been up and I've had to go wake him. Usually though, I can hear that he is up so I go back to sleep for an hour). Early morning seminary starts at 6:00, and then he's taking several honors and an AP class. He's rapidly moving up the ranks at KFC, getting more responsibilities, and has gone in to help out several times even when he hadn't been scheduled. He also works concessions at Real games. Basketball season will be starting up soon too ...

Gray commented that Keaton is a huge help on the derby front. He said Keaton seems to see what needs to be done, and does it without having to be told. He is Dad's right hand man, always willing to go, even missing basketball (just the clinic at the high school, open gym) to help out. He's been able to save up quite a bit of money. He's doing great in school too. 

Several weeks ago, both Gray and Mom mentioned that Cooper looked like he was slimming out some. Cooper surprised us by saying he'd lost five pound in the past week. We didn't even know he was weighing himself! He has been super active for several weeks now (and hit a new high, 32,000 on his Fitbit, and beat ME, which was a goal of his). As far as eating, he's really only drinking water, he has a couple of eggs each morning, an apple a day, and he's cut back on treats a ton! He even declined malt and krispie creme donuts! I think his dedication has been a bit of an example and motivation to me. I had a bad summer, with some eating out of control and put on quite a few pounds. I've finally started to shift the scale back in the opposite direction. I had my own 32k day last Thursday. I attached a couple of Cooper's medieval projects for school (a "hennin" or woman's hat, and a shield. I should have taken pictures of the crown and family tree we made last weekend). 

Colton is my angel, as always. Such a good kid! I had to laugh, as after his last basketball game, his coach told him to be more of a ball hog, that he was passing too much. His outdoor ball went flat, and he was playing with a full size indoor ball (when his team uses the midsize 28.5), so we did do a little shopping. I think I've always just got him cheap shoes for basketball, so I was willing to splurge on some actual Nike. Unfortunately they didn't have his size at the store. I said we could try the Nike Outlet, but he was happy with an UnderArmor pair. I think he just wanted immediate gratification (I also mentioned ordering from Amazon. He said "I don't like this word 'order" ... it means I don't have it NOW." I told him it was early birthday, as I tend to buy stuff for the kids when they need it ... then I don't have anything ready when birthdays come.

I don't know how I got so lucky with five such wonderful boys!

Gray had a crazy busy week. Three derbies, plus work. He got in a little "pickleball" this week too. It's a new active trend. It's in-between tennis and ping-pong. Yesterday, he took the two ducks to the farm Chris took his older chickens to. We're done with ducks ... at least for now.  Mom, I know you said not to open the toilet paper from Amazon ... but the BIG box had empty space, and the big box was perfect for transporting the ducks to their new home this past weekend. Gray said "And if it's any consolation, the ducks used the toilet paper box as their toilet en route to the farm in Orem. So in more ways than one, it fulfilled the measure of its creation." I did end up opening one of the smaller boxes yesterday too though, because I needed a nice big piece of cardboard to make the shield for Cooper's school assignment. Your toilet paper gift has come in handy for more than just the contents! We used the boxes too!

Jen and da boys

No comments:

Post a Comment