Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blackham Update (July 2009)


Two Email Updates for July ...

July 20, 2009  The Blackhams ... Summer so far ...

We’ve had a fun and busy summer so far. Several of the kids in the neighborhood are actually switching tracks, so many will be going back to school next Monday. Our kids still have until mid-August.

Landon has enjoyed his golfing, going back and doing another “clinic” (an hour a day) with a couple friends from the neighborhood. They stayed after a couple days to play nine-holes or hit a bucket of balls.

I signed the older three boys up for tennis lessons which were held at the nearby highschool. It was Mon-Thurs at 5:30 for two weeks (eight lessons). While they were busy playing tennis, the two little boys and I would wander to the track and I would jog around while the kids played. Cooper surprised me by jogging with me a few times, doing a couple of laps before taking a break.

With tennis and golf done, I signed up the kids for swimming lessons (Mon-Thurs at 9:00 for two weeks) and they had their first day today. Last year I remember Cooper and Colton both screamed and required one teacher each to hold them for two straight days. No problems at all this year! Last year was a “swimming” year, with several sets of lessons, to Mom’s pool and local pools once or twice a week. We just haven’t gotten around to much swimming this year, keeping busy with other things.

We’ve gone bowling several times. The local place has a really good deal for summer, so we’ve enjoyed taking advantage of that. Plus, Colton and Cooper have both learned to roll the ball without any help (before they would use the little ramp thing), and that speeds things up making it more fun for everyone.

We went back to Jumping Jacks ... no broken bones this time (Landon actually didn’t even come, we went during one of his golfing days).

Keaton finished his soccer camp (three days, an hour each). Two of the days Landon tended the little ones and I jogged the soccer park while he went to the camp. The middle day, I took the kids in the stroller and walked. Cooper just started the first day of his basketball camp (three days, an hour each) and did great ... and again, I jogged the track. So it’s exercise all around.

Grayson took the older three boys to the Momentum Climbing Gym (by REI, by the Southtowne Mall) a while back. They really enjoyed that. Maybe next time I’ll get a sitter for the two little ones and go help (one person holds the rope while one climbs ... with just one Daddy, the boys had to take turns, but there is a “bouldering” section that you climb alone without a rope).  I would actually like to try climbing myself, but that would be just Gray and I going alone without any of the kids.


Gray and I have gotten a couple of hikes in. We just did a family hike to Cercret Lake (a mile up) and the kids did great. We also had our Lagoon Day last Friday, which was a lot of fun! Our family is at a good age grouping right now. Keaton is old enough to go on pretty much everything his older brothers would want to go on, so one parent goes with the older three, making a nice foursome, and then one parent stayed with the little boys in Kiddieland, which had almost no lines. Cooper and Colton had a blast! Cooper did fall asleep in the stroller, and Landon and the older boys were so cute going on some of the smaller rides with Colton. We did a few as a family too. We brought our camper up, to use as a respite from the heat during the day as needed, and so we could stay until the park closed and then immediately hit the hay! Gray went back mid-day with the little boys (Cooper was drenched from playing in the fountain), and then in the evening when poor Colton was SO tired. The older boys probably could have called it a day fairly early, but I admit I egged them on some. We ended up hitting the water rides (Log Flume and Rapids) well after the sun went down (there were no lines then, go figure!) so we were drenched at 10:00 at night. We slept there then headed home early for Saturday commitments back home.

I’ll attach a few pictures from our summer fun (you may have already seen some if you follow Facebook)

Jen and da boys

PS - We were in charge of sharing time on Sunday. The theme was “I can strengthen my family”. I brought the small set of dumbells in and showed the kids a few different exercises (bicep curls, tricep and shoulder press, squat) and explained how exercise makes your body stronger (let the kids take turns doing them, the kids were very enthusiastic about that). Then we talked about “family exercises” that build “family muscles” (family prayer, home evening, family activities, etc.) and that each time you do these “exercises” you are strengthening your family muscles. Then we made little dumbells (toothpicks w/marshmallows) for a take-home. I thought it went over pretty well. Just thought I’d share ....

July 30, 2009

Notes from Mom, Wendy and Chris ... we’ve had a bunch going on so I thought I’d send out a little note too.

We’ve had swimming lessons Mon-Thurs each morning. At first the boys really balked at going. Landon and Callahan think they are great swimmers already (they are fine, but they can certainly learn more and practice). Something in the level three is hard for Keaton (he’s repeated it a couple of times and I put him in it this year again) but he’s doing great and his teacher told him he was the best in the class (I guess he should be after taking it three times :) .  Cooper is doing great in level one, and Colton is in the baby class, but is very comfortable, you can tell he knows the drill (also having done the class before). So after the initial hesitation on all parts, the kids really look forward to it. Tomorrow is the last day. If Keaton passes 3rd, and Cooper passes 1st, and if they would let Colton up to level 1 (he is young for it, but I think he would do fine) I might sign them up for the next session if there are still open spots available. Gray doesn’t really want the kids in classes these last weeks of summer, so that we can pick up and go camping mid-week or whatnot, but if the kids end up missing a class or two, that will be ok. So I should be making that decision tomorrow after getting reports from their teachers and seeing if there are even any open spots. We’d be ok whichever way.

Cooper participated in a little basketball clinic (three days and hour each) and did well. I took the kids out for some miniature golf, which went ok, the kids weren’t too into it (it was hot) and the game went by very fast.

Last Tuesday we FINALLY took the boys to see ‘Transformers 2" which Landon had been dying to see forever. Callahan and Keaton decided to go too. I probably enjoyed it more with them there (seeing them laugh at things I probably wouldn’t have laughed at myself). Wednesday we had Back to School night, which was pretty chaotic! The power was also out that night for several hours and that was pretty miserable! The house got so hot without air conditioning. I did manage to rig an Ipod so the kids could watch a show (small screen!). It did come back on in the night, just enough for me to get up and turn all the lights and such off, then it went off again until morning.

Gray and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary (a day late, due to back2school and the power outage) by going to Ruby River. The traffic was terrific ... a concert there at the soccer stadium.

We went out to the parent’s pool for the 24th. The kids had a lot of fun there. Thanks Mom and Dad! Grayson bought a new road bike and wanted to try it out, so he rode there and back! He did a 50 miler with his boss over the weekend, and they have a 100 miler coming up. Plus Gray is running the Provo Half Marathon August 8th. He’s quite the man!

Gray and Landon have been at scout camp this week. Both were excited to go. They are pretty out of touch, I haven’t heard from them since they left Monday morning. Gray should be coming back sometime tomorrow, Landon on Saturday.

Without Landon, I had to take all the kids to Callahan’s basketball practice. But, there is a daycare there, and I was able to drop the babies off to play. Keaton was bored, so I ended up dropping him off in the daycare too (just an hour). I got my 45min/3miles in. I called a babysitter yesterday and had her tend the kids while I went up to the Olympic Oval to jog the track there. I’ve been wanting to get back and check on the ice (last time we went, the large, outer rink wasn’t up and we just had to skate on the smaller oval, which wasn’t as fun). The big section was all iced up again. The Olympic team was working out on the short track (smaller rink) and a group was jumping, doing plyometrics in one section.  Again, I did my 45min (3 miles) and then headed out. As I was walking to the car a guy jogged past ... It was Apollo Anton Ohno. I don’t know that I’d actually recognize any of the other skaters, but Apollo is more distinctive looking and has always gotten a lot of press. Upon a recommendation by Gray, I stopped and noticed the licence plates of the cars in the lot ... New York, Florida, Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Georgia, Texas, Nevada, California, Montana ... even Alaska (and I’m sure I forgot a few states I saw). They come from all over to train!

I took my remaining four boys to NickelMania (you pay to get in, I had a coupon so it was just $1 each person) and then the games run on nickels (a bit of a misrepresentation as many of the games required two, three or four nickels) but the boys had a fun time. 

Yesterday I took the boys to the temple open house. Landon and Gray had already been (Landon with the youth and Gray before or after he filled a shift as a volunteer). It was quite busy, LOTS of stairs. Cooper got a little stressed (he’s my homebody) but was quite happy with a cookie afterward.

Speaking of cookies .... have you all heard of the “Skookie”? It’s a little cast iron skillet, you put the cookie dough in, bake it, top with ice cream and chocolate syrup ... it’s SO yummy. It isn’t new, I’ve seen them around, but Gray got it into his head last Friday to get us one. I know it seems like you wouldn’t need the skillet, just make cookies and top with ice cream if you want, but something about it makes it so good. We’ve tried the mix it came with, a dry mix from the store, the refrigerated cookie dough from the store, homemade dough ... it’s all good (yes, we’ve made multiple skookies since Friday). Even you gluten free people could get a gluten free cookie or brownie mix. It’s just yummy, and fun, as it’s communal, we all gather around one to eat.

So that’s basically what’s been going on over here!
Jen and da boys




No comments:

Post a Comment