Sunday, August 29, 2010

Lindon Westras - Summer Recap 2010



Hi family! It's been a while since we wrote last (as usual) so we are attempting to catch you up on what has been happening here in the Lindon Westra household in the past few months in a few paragraphs. Heh heh. We'll see how it goes (especially since I can't remember when we sent the last update.) 
For those of you who missed it, we went on a cruise in May. It was a lot of fun and we are looking forward to the time when we can go on another. We tried feeding stingrays, snorkeling, holding turtles, zip lining, touring ruins, and haggling for jewelry and license plates. Maybe next time a few of you could come along... 

Adria had her dance recital and preschool graduation at the end of May and Rella had her end of the year program. Suddenly we went from having a lot going on to nothing! Adria played soccer in the Lindon Soccer League in May and June and loved it! She's isn't a fan of being on the bench. She likes to be right out there in the thick of things. Alicia (that's me) started teaching Silver Sneakers twice a week at the Orem Fitness Center. This is a program designed for the 65 and over crowd. The class is usually 20-30 people and they are some of the nicest people I've met. They are picky on their music, though. It's been fun to get to know them. I will be teaching them on Friday mornings in the fall. 

We had new neighbors move in behind us at the beginning of June. The Whitings (some of the best neighbors ever) found a great deal on a house in Springville and rented their house to the Perry family. They have 5 energetic daughters ages 1 to 8. Our girls just fit right in there. They all have fun playing together. It is like a girl party all the time. It has taken some getting used to though. Shane went to scout camp in Zion's National Park and herded his scouts through several hikes. They had a great time and came home plenty dirty and tired. Adria started taking piano lessons at the end of June and has been progressing well. She enjoys practicing except when it gets in the way of playing. We went camping at the Sand Dunes and sold our Subaru Outback (not at the same time). 

Adria graduated from the UpStart Program (I am excited for Rella to begin this program!) We really enjoyed the 4th of July long weekend. We went to fireworks in Pleasant Grove on Saturday the 3rd, enjoyed Sunday services on the 4th, and then had a BBQ with the Green side on the 5th. Alicia started teaching sculpting (sculpting muscles, not clay or marble) classes twice each week. We went camping with our friends the Nixons up Hobble Creek Canyon over the weekend of the 24th. The girls started swim lessons at the end of July and both did very well. They did 2 sessions and will both be moving to the next level next summer. I had several photoshoots...you can see what I've been up to with my photography on my photography blog http://aliciawestra.wordpress.com. I've been learning so much and enjoying it all! 

We also headed to Lagoon twice during July. Our first visit was just on our own. Adria hit the magic 46" mark this year, so she hit the big rides for the first time. Colossus quickly became her favorite ride, until she met Wicked, anyway. We bounced back for a 2nd visit and were joined by my sister and her family as well as my older brother and his wife. Adria and Rella loved having the aunts, uncles and cousins there to ride with and Shane and I actually got a ride on jestStar 2 in. Shane got to ride the rides I refuse to go on (the Rocket, Wicked) and I got to go on the rides that Shane can't stomach (Paratrooper, Music Express). We had such a fun time! 

The month finished up with the infamous surprise party for my 30th birthday. I didn't suspect a thing. Thanks to all of you who were there for coming! I was amazed how many people came to console--I mean celebrate with me. August opened up with another scout trip. Shane and the deacons went backpacking in the Uintas near Granddaddy Lake. They had a great time working on merit badges, eating dehydrated food and trying to catch fish. The girls continued with their swimming and piano lessons and also started soccer again, this time in the Pleasant Grove League. They are on a team together with Shane coaching. Adria loves to play still and is learning to be a little more aggressive. Rella, how should we put this, likes to rest. It is really a fight to get her to play. It is a co-ed team with plenty of boys and girls who want to play, so we don't push her too much. One of the other moms is thinking of bringing some pom poms and forming a cheer squad with the benched players. We only have 3 games left. Next year we'll try Rella in the Lindon league on an all girls team. I have had to miss 2 of their games...one due to teaching at the OFC and the other due to the Hobble Creek Half Marathon! 

On the 21st I ran the half marathon with 3 of my friends. My time was 2:18:41, a lot better than I had anticipated! I was able to run most of it and had a great time. My legs were extremely sore for a few days afterwards but are doing better now. I am ready to get back into running this week...Shane and I are planning on running the 5K fro Eliza next month and I am trying to decide if I should do one more half marathon at the end of October. 

We had our ward swimming party a few weeks ago at the Lindon pool. Again, lots of fun! Adria and Shane both rode the FlowRider (surfing machine) and did considerably well. Rella had her 4th birthday and had her first friend party. She had a fun time. I was glad two of my neighbors helped me out with it! The 3 grown ups ended up breaking the tough piñata open. We also had my side of the family over last Sunday for a little party. We went minigolfing on her birthday as well. Yesterday the girls operated a fruit and vegetable stand, selling peaches, tomatoes, chives, and green beans. They made $5.25. They used it to buy treats for the little game night we had with our neighbors last night. 

Tonight we had our Back to School Feast. This is a new tradition for us. We had a good dinner and presented our family theme for the school year "Growing in Light". Adria begins kindergarten on Wednesday and Rella begins Pre-K on the 8th. Shane and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary of meeting next Monday by taking our Labor Day hike to Red Pine Lake. The girls begin dance this week and the OFC opens back up after Labor Day. We are off to a roaring start, and school hasn't even started yet! There! All caught up! And in less than 3 emails! Happy end of August everyone! Love, Alicia, Shane, Adria, Rella, the 3 fish and all the neighbor kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment