Monday, April 30, 2012

Messages from Mom - April 2012

April 4, 2012

The weather looks to be 54-58 deg. on Sat. the last I heard. You can come 3:30-4. Kim and her kids may be able to come after all, though I don't know for sure. Scott said it is 50-50 whether they will be here or whether he will take the kids to St. George while Amy stays home to do sharing time. So I don't know exactly how many to plan for food-wise.

Kellen will get his stitches out in the morning, then Scott will come help D & D move. Chris and Conner will help for a couple hours until Chris needs to rest. LaMar will help.

I think the rest are coming Sat.--Jen's, Shane's, and Derek's families. Chris doesn't have his boys this weekend.

Please let me know what you are bringing as soon as possible, so I know what to buy/fix. I haven't heard from anybody.

We went into TOSH this morning for my lab work, etc. The lady took us on a tour of their hospital rooms upstairs. They are very large and nice, with a couch that makes out into a bed, so Dad can stay overnight to help care for me. I was so glad for the tour. It always helps stress levels to know more what things will be like. Dad will bring the laptop and do genealogy and our missionary trail work.

Next Tues. morning at 8:30 we will go to a 2-hour class about surgeries. We could have done that this morning had we known about it, and gotten everything done at once.

Then we went downtown.

Gary Godfrey is lending me one of his KneeEase Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) machines to use at home. He was one of the developers. He thinks it is superior to the present machine, where you are lying down and someone has to get you in and out of it. His machine you can use sitting up and get in and our yourself. The patient is supposed to use it 8-10 hours a day for about 3 weeks. The hospital has the other kind. So we need to go to their house in Lindon when they are free to have us, and pick it up and get trained on it.

My left hip and calf have been very painful lately and the spasms have me worried. I laid awake for 2 hours last night with spasms often just a few seconds apart. I worry about having a spasm and jerking while they are giving me the spinal. They get more frequent as the day goes on, so hopefully I will be one of the first surgery patients. Diabetics are put first so we don't have to fast long.

I can't get another shot in my back because they don't like to do surgery within 2-4 weeks of having them.

We stopped at Sunflower on the way home and got green beans for 59 cents a pound! Then we stopped at Quality nursery and spend $77 on plants. Their 3 1/2 inch Perennials are just $1.25 there--about half of what other places charge. We'll have to go back next week for the Wave Petunias for 99
cents a plant. I used Grandpa's walker both places, so I could sit down as needed.

I'm having my siblings and Grandma over for dinner Friday night for Grandma's 94th birthday. My cousin stopped by to visit her Mon. (we just missed her) and brought Grandma Easter Candy for her birthday.  That was nice of JoDee since she knew Grandma wouldn't know her at all.

Well, I'd better go fix Dad some dinner, after his little nap.

April 22, 2012

Hello from the Bionic Woman!

We decided to come to Aspen Ridge Friday morning, as I was still having lots of nausea, some vomiting, and dizziness when I sat up. Their van picked me up at 11 a.m. We got the last room available here (there are 38 rooms). So we are one of the furthest from the main area, but closer
to the back door, where Dad now parks.

Dad has been going home once each day, with a list of things to bring back.

I slept better last night and have finally felt better today, without the constant dizziness and nausea. We went to the dining room for lunch and dinner today instead of having it brought to our room. I still don't have much appetite and Dad eats most of my meals--at least what is gluten-free.

Friday night was rough and we had to call the nurse for some more meds and I had Dad give me a blessing in the night. It was rough for Dad also, trying to sleep on the hard floor. Last night they brought him in a nice intellibed mattress to sleep on which is very comfortable for him.

Aspen Ridge is a very nice place. Dad can order a meal (2 hours ahead) for $5, which we've done once, but he usually just eats mine and we have plenty of snacks around.

They didn't do any physical therapy with me on Friday. I didn't know if they would on the weekend, but they did Sat. morning and this morning for 45 min. each time. During the week, they do morning and afternoon,or longer periods. Part is okay and part hurts! I use the continuous passive motion machine a lot, with the ice machine at the same time.

We attended Sacrament mtg. this afternoon at 2:30. It only lasted 23 min.! One couple doing it (Little Cottonwood stake) recognized us and visited with us---Scott and Heidi Gillespie's parents. She had her knee replaced last July.

I miss TiVo!

I made a hair appt. here for Tues. afternoon. They have someone just on Tuesdays, but people's personal hairdressers or family members can use the salon other days to do patients' hair.

Thurs. I go to Dr. Momberger's office to get the staples removed. If I am home, Dad will take me. If I am still here, they will take me in their van and wheelchair. So I don't know whether to come home Wed. or Friday.

Yesterday and today Dad has taken me for a walk in the wheelchair around the grounds. We have sat in the sun for our vitamin D dose. He has gone for walks around Wheeler Farm, which borders this place.

One of the male nurses, in his 40's maybe, is from Brazil and is a fabulous opera-type singer. He sounds like Josh Groben and Andrea Bocelli! Really! He sang today for about a half hour after lunch, in the main area.

Well, I'll take one more little walk with the walker, take my pain meds, and then we'll go to bed.

love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment