Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Hi Kids,
Dad has been having trouble with his back and shoulder the past few days. Shoulder... bursitis or rotator cuff, he doesn't know. Playing too wildly in the pool with the boys Sat. night maybe.
We still went downtown today, but he isn't able to do much lately in the house or yard---his back is most comfortable while laying down. You know he is hurting, when he can't do yard work or hardly get around!
We had a nice dinner with D & D on Monday at the Cheesecake Factory.
Hope Dad feels better soon!
From Jen: I need him to feel better so he can beat me at tennis when/if I ever get out there! Things are pretty much normal here, with the three boys home. Haven't heard from out Lake Powell crew. They don't have reception out on the lake. Hopefully they can check in at some point. We had another missionary in our ward come home for medical reasons (that is the 5th or 6th in as many years). He hadn't been out long at all, so the plan is that he'll return after some surgery on his knee. Chris said you guys are going to Desert Star tonight? Hope Dad feels comfortable enough to drive and enjoy it.
From Wendy: Sorry to hear about dad's sore back and shoulder! Hope it feels better soon! Things are going well here in Texas! There were about 50 walk ons, so we ended up with even more kids than we thought! the facilities here are really nice. They have a full cafeteria with tons of choices and it is all really good! There are no scales here, so hopefully I haven't gained too much weight! Ricks talks have been going well and have been well received. I enjoyed going to all of the classes the last two days from the EFY teachers. There have been few problems with a few of the participants breaking rules and we had to talk to some of them. But overall, it has been busy but fun! Tonight is the special musical program fireside and testimony meeting. I can't go into a lot of detail because I typing this on my phone. The kids seem to be doing well at home and we have been skyping them everyday. Janika has done a lot of fun activities with them!! We have lots of great youth here and lots of cute kids! I better get back because it is starting soon. Hope you are all doing well!
Saturday~ July 5, 2014
Hi Kids,
Wendy, thanks for writing and letting us know that you are safely home and that all is well there. Yes, I'll bet you are exhausted!
Yesterday Dad did his normal phone shift. Then Jen and Callahan and Cooper and Colton came out and we went swimming--the boys did anyway. It was fairly crowded and I had just done my hair for the baptism this morning, so Jen and I just visited poolside. Then we all went out to eat at Red Robin. Gray and Landon and Keaton were at Lake Powell all week on a friend's houseboat. Callahan had just returned from basketball camp in Cedar City, so opted to stay home and not go to Lake Powell--tired living out of a suitcase.
Spencer and Owen next door brought over a cute printed invitation with fireworks of glitter inviting us to their "annual fireworks show" in the circle. So we did that. They actually do quite a nice one! Merrill had called and invited to their yard for fireworks--he said they have a great view from their yard of the Holladay fireworks across the street. But we were tired and just opted to stay home for our neighbor show. One thing a day is about all we have energy for! Nice of Merrill to invite us though.
Sounds like D & D had a very busy 4th, going from one activity to another all day------oh, the energy of the young! Shane's family went to a parade, etc. too.
We picked up Conner this morning at 9 and headed down to the baptism. It was nice, and quick and well organized. We had a lovely meal afterwards at Chris & Kim's. D & D's family and Shane's family came. Sandy's dad and stepmom came clear from St. George. Sandy's one sister and her boyfriend and his son came, and Sandy and her boyfriend and her mom Johanna came, so it was a nice group for Cayson. With the good weather, part could go outside, and Aaron did snow cones for everyone who wanted them. It was comfortable for everyone visiting together from both families, so that was nice.
We came home and Dad slept a couple hours and I rested. We later watched "Austenland" movie from the library and enjoyed it---------waiting for it to cool down enough to mow before dark. Neighbors were mowing late too---it was still plenty hot though. I also have the "Gravity" movie out to watch.
Our stake president and his wife were at the pool yesterday and she invited Dad and I over Mon. morning to help her and a couple relatives with family history. I just hate to miss my swim 3 days in a row! But it is nice that they are interested.
Have a nice Sabbath everyone.
love, Mom
Thursday, July 10, 2024
Hi Kids,
Scott called us on the cellphone just as we were closing up downtown on our mission and invited Dad to go hiking up Grandeur Peak with him, Alyssa, and McKenna. Dad loves hiking, so we hurried home, and they picked him up at 5. Didn't get home until after dark, so I was beginning to worry (I remember how he always had to see what was around the next bend or over the next hill and had trouble starting back in time). Thanks for inviting him and letting him join you! Jeni said she saw a photo that McKenna had posted on Facebook, but I couldn't find it.
Monday we spent 2 1/2 hours at our stake president's home helping Stacie's mother and another older lady. The preferred method is to help people in their homes, as they are used to their own computers and more likely to do family history on their own when they've done it on their computers. This was difficult because they had a desktop Mac and a laptop Mac, neither with a mouse! So the 4 of us were "out of our element." Stacie helped "over our shoulders." We wouldn't have stayed that long, but they had traveled some distance to be there. It would have been easier helping Stacie. Usually we would ask ahead of time how long they wanted us to stay--maybe an hour or so--then stick with it.
Tues. we went to Park City to spend the day with Chris's family at their time-share week and went swimming and in the hot tub and played tennis and games. Then we all went out to dinner at Ruby Tuesday. We had a nice time.
We've been running errands today and to get groceries.
Rick is arriving tomorrow and bringing Jaiden and Josh to visit. Rick has interpreting training.
We will be tending Shane and Alicia's kids next week while they are on Trek, so your kids can come play with their cousins if they want.
We are going out to dinner tonight---meeting Nelva and Arnold and Merrill and Lorrie--at Sweet Tomatoes near Scott's work.
love, Mom
Saturday, July 12, 2014
Rick and Jaiden and Josh are on their way home. We had a good time. It was nice to have just the 2 kids, to give them more one-on-one attention, without them having to compete with their siblings to be heard. Grandpa was a trooper. Fri. night he took them to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought 2 new fishing poles (since he only had one working one). Then he took them to the dollar store and gave them each $2 to spend. Then they went swimming from about 9:15 to 10. The stake president's daughter and friends were swimming and using glow sticks and gave them one.
This morning after breakfast, he took them fishing---Jaiden caught a duck on her fishing pole, when he took the bait! They got him released. No fish though! They wanted to work for money while here, but all their their time was taken up with fun stuff. They are good ages, 8 and 10, and can get so thrilled and excited over small things---such as stopping at a park on the way and eating out at Carl Jr. All too soon, they will be older and not care about visiting
grandparents any more.
Remember we are not great at instigating things, but will show the kids a good time while they are with us, while they are ages that still want to come (they had to pay their dad 40 tickets each to come).
Josh asked me this morning, "What do you and Grandpa DO when we're not here!" (Well, Josh, we just sit and stare at the walls--------we hope it doesn't really come to that some day!)
It reminded me of when Wendy was little and we had just paid the baby sitter and taken her home. Wendy said "Did you pay her money?" I said "Yes." Wendy: "Well, SHE should pay US, because she got to come here and have fun!"
One time when Kellen and Kemery were about 8 and 10 maybe and we were tending them...we were busy bottling peaches. I had them load peaches in the bottles, round side up, with a slotted spoon. I said, if you will just help us load this batch of bottles, then Grandpa will take you to play tennis.
They enjoyed the canning so much, one said, "If we will go play tennis with Grandpa, then can we load some more bottles!" A reversal of which was work and which was the reward!
We've got to get these cute sayings put in our Dropbox Family History project before we forget them.
Grayson said there is a google thing like dropbox that is cheaper, but I haven't got it checked out yet. If some of you computer whizzes want to check it out for the family............................
Derek just called and said they would come to visit tomorrow after church, so we offered to fix dinner. Monday we are fixing dinner for Shane and Alicia's family when they come to drop off their kids. Hope they enjoy TREK and that it isn't tooooo terribly hot!
Wendy's family will be back here in a couple weeks. They are going to see Wicked on July 24th and then stay overnight at a hotel for their anniversary. We will tend the 4 youngest. The oldest 3 will be at EFY in Cedar City. There should be a fireworks show in our circle that night.
Then the 25th, they asked if they could host an outdoor party here for his "Hands Up" singing/signing group from Utah State. We will take the kids to Burger King or somewhere during the party.
Summer is going fast!
From Jen: Fun update ... thanks for letting us come out swimming and taking us out to Red Robin.I'd wanted to get a Fitbit for Landon (again, as he lost his), as I was curious as to how much activity he gets at work. I figured I'd go cheap, and get one off Ebay. I got one for $28 ( a Zip) ... but silly me I got a blue one, and THAT is unacceptable. So I went ahead and ordered one in black ... and then Landon, who is turning into a germ-a-phobe (seriously!) didn't want it if it was used. He now has a nice, brand new one, and I had two Zips sitting around.I put them on Colton and Cooper. I thought it would just be a "fun" thing, to see how much they were moving (which turned out to be not that much ... Colton got 7000 the first day). He doubled it the next day. Yesterday ... it was 9:00 at night and he was still outside playing soccer (alone) and I told him to come on inside. He said "But I'm at 28,000 steps, I just need 2000 more to get to 30,000!) So he stayed out until he did (I sent Callahan out to keep him company). Colton had his a day or two before Cooper. Cooper hadn't asked for one, but when I got the new one for Landon (he had reluctantly been using the used one) I asked Cooper if he wanted to wear it, and I could tell he was excited to be included. He has been pretty stationary this summer, but with the Fitbit he was purposely trying to get steps. Inventing a new frisbee game with Colton, jumping rope, etc. We've gone to the local bounce house and all the kids get quite a few steps there. It will be interesting to see how long the novelty lasts (I've had mine for over four years now and I'm as addicted to the feedback now as ever!)So Keaton is the only one without one. I asked if he wanted one but he said no. Gray has even been wearing his (Landon's old Flex, but not wearing the wristband, just carrying the little device in his pocket. His company gets together and plays volleyball on Fridays. Yesterday was the first day Gray remembered to wear his Fitbit ... he got 20,000 steps (they played for a few hours!)Thursday I tried something new ... soccer! There is a place called "Soccer City" in Draper that I drive by on my way to Zumba class Mon and Wed. Signs showed adult leagues, and although I didn't want to commit to a team, I did look them up and saw they offered "Women's Open Play" for $5. I went for the first time a couple days ago. It was fun but boy, was I wiped out! I had my HRM on, and unlike any other exercise, it had my heart rate up and it stayed up (normally it goes down again pretty quick if I stop moving). I am SO sore now ... literally hobbling! My poor quads! It does make me want to try more other "fun" exercise like tennis, racquetball, volleyball (all stuff I've done but not lately).Gray and the boys are up at Pineview today. I'm not a big fan of spending the day in the sun and water but I was planning on going. Then Callahan asked if a friend could come (and there wasn't extra room in the car) so I ended up staying home. Home alone ... I'm also ok with that.Totally bizarre thing though ... Grayson called me from the road after they had stopped for gas. He opened the glove box and there was a GUN in it! A loaded pistol! In MY suburban! We have no idea whose it is or how it got there. I'm generally pretty good about locking up (thinking I'm preventing people from taking things out of the car, not putting something like that in it!) So when they get back Gray will contact the police to turn it in. At least Gray is the one who found it! I can't remember the last time I opened the glove box (probably a couple months ago when we got the car registered) ... scary and strange!
From Wendy: Thanks for the fun update, mom! Tell Grandpa thank you so much for all of the fun things he did with the kids and taking them fishing! I am sure that they had a ball! I hadn’t heard the cute stories you mentioned about babysitting. I still have some funny “sayings” that I need to add on Dropbox. Jeni – good job getting out there and trying “new” things! Last time I played soccer at the park with the kids I thought it was really fun (and great exercise) and that we should do it more often. Of course it is too hot here unless we went early in the morning. The is crazy and scary about the gun!! I wonder how long it was there – I know I don’t get in my glove box very often. Let us know if you find out any information about it! Good luck Shane and Alicia on the Trek next week!
From Derek: What!? A loaded gun? We're definitely going to need the rest of this story once you call the police. That is not normal...wow! In other news -- Jen, I've been playing soccer with guys in my ward every week and that is the best workout that I get all week!
(the gun situation ... Gray had taken the suburban to Las Vegas with some of his work crew, and one of them had brought the gun and stashed it in the glovebox. It was returned to it's owner. Still, kind of crazy!)
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Hi Kids,
Shane and Alicia picked up their kids last night about 8. They had a marvelous TREK experience.
Mon. night they picked up Taylee and we all had a good roast beast dinner. Taylee stayed for the first 2 nights. All the kids were very well behaved and had a fun time.
Each morning after breakfast, we all went for an hour or so morning swim at the pool. We usually had it to ourselves and it is delightful that time of day when half of the pool is in the shade.
After putting Calder to bed each night, Dad took the girls about 9:15 to a nighttime swim, with the underwater lights, until he closed it at 10 or so.
He took them fishing one day. It is the first time he has caught anything with the grandkids this year at that pond. They were little--about 3-4 inches, but still fun. Taylee got 6, Adria 2, and Rella 1. They put all 9 in a bucket of water and brought them home to our pond.
He took the 3 girls to All a Dollar and let them spend $2 each.
The 3 girls made jello, creating masterpiece parfaits with various layers of fruit.
Taylee got picked up Wed. afternoon for a lesson she had scheduled.
Wed. evening, Alicia's Dad and Julie picked up the 3 kids to give us a couple hours break and took them to hike around Silver Lake. They saw a moose about 15-20 feet away and other wildlife. Thurs. evening they picked them up again to spend 2 hours at Murray park. I packed them a picnic dinner since they were coming straight from work.
Dad and the girls did a bit of tennis yesterday, but it was sooo hot, they couldn't last long.
Dad's out mowing in this heat.
Wendy's family is arriving late Wed. night or Thurs. morning for a quick anniversary trip. They will probably go home on Sat. Janelle is in a musical and has several practices a week that are hard to miss. Janika, Jase, and Jared are at EFY in Cedar City this week. Mon.--Sat.
Aaron went last week and enjoyed it.
Too bad Linthorsts next door are going to Bear Lake and won't be doing their 24th fireworks show in our circle.
Well, off to shower and wash hair for Church. We are giving the prayers tomorrow. Then we have to go grocery shopping--completely out of milk and bread, etc.
We got tickets to see Wicked on a Matinee at 2 p.m. on Thurs. Aug. 14.
love, Mom
From Jen: It's been scout camp here. Keaton was off at Bear Lake Mon-Sat (got home this morning). Our ward just doesn't have kids his age though, only one other boy. They went with another group, but then our ward leader left, so Keaton was there pretty much without anyone he knew. He had a couple bad sleeping nights. Said he had some fun, but was not having fun for the majority of the time :)Cooper and Colton had their cub camp Wed/Thurs ... they were also not excited. Cooper was in tears both mornings. Colton actually ended up missing the second day, as he got the stomach flu. Cooper had it Monday (Cooper had it worse with several sessions, Colton just threw up the one time, then laid on the couch all day). I got in in the night ... but I also seem to have it pretty easy. Just the one time, although I am still feeling off and taking it easy today.There had been many pictures taken on the last Trek (which Landon was on) but no one seemed to know what had happened to them. One lady was bemoaning the fact on Facebook ... and I think they've been found and she's setting up a Facebook group and Google Drive to share them all.Gray and I went to a movie last night - "Edge of Tomorrow" ... it had a LOT more humor than I was expecting (I thought it was a serious action flick, which it was ... just with a lot of humor too!) I liked it a lot.It's the Parade Preview Mon/Tues ... just a reminder if you didn't already have it on your radar.
No comments:
Post a Comment