Thursday, March 5, 2015

Jensen Update (March 5, 2015)

It was fun reading your updates!! I wish I could have been there for your get-together tonight!! I loved reading Layla's cute comments! I am glad Mom is keeping them on Dropbox because it is so fun to go back and read them later (and the kids love reading them when they get older!) That can't help but make you wonder what would have happened if you had stayed in Qualtrics, Derek. But you are right, you have been blessed in many other ways!! Mom -- I like to listen to the Ensign online also, while working in the kitchen or sometimes at the gym. I never have time to actually sit down and read anything, but I do listen to lot of audio books in my car and LDS.org stuff at home. I still need to get an App (like Chris has) that will read me my e-mails out loud. I can't keep up with all of those either! That is nice that Shane is coming and that you and Dad are going to California. I didn't realize that you were planning to go. Chris, that is nice that Kim is enjoying her training so much!

I purchased PDF copies of all of my blurb books. Once you have purchased the book, it is only $4.99 to get an additional PDF of the book. It is nice to have a digital copy and easy to share with others. I put the PDF copy of Mom and Dad's Anniversary book in Dropbox under Histories underneath all of the "yearly" folders. Mom -- we have been looking for the video-taped interview we did of Grandma and Grandpa Norman years ago (1998 maybe?) but can't find it anywhere. We also did one of you and dad and Rick's mom and dad at the same time. We can't find it on any of our external hard-drives, but we do have one external hard-drive that is corrupted and it might be on that. We should have a copy on our computer and also a DVD copy but haven't been able to locate either one. I know we gave a copy of the DVD to you and dad at the time. Anyway, if you happen to know where it is then let us know so that can make a digital copy for dropbox. If all else fails, we still have our original 8 mm tapes and it should be on one of those.


Here is my week -- sorry it is so long!!

Monday 27: We got Jase's e-mail -- it sounds like he is doing well! I usually don't work on Mondays, but I had two interpreting jobs today. I did a medical appointment (which only lasted 40 minutes) and then ran a couple of errands before the next job -- subbing at DSU.

Tonight Jaiden and Janelle sang at the Cone Concert at Snow Canyon High School. The Concert involved several schools that feed into Snow Canyon High School. Three elementary schools performed -- I don't know why Arrowhead Elementary wasn't involved. Jaiden performed with the Lava Ridge Honor's Choir and Janelle performed with the Snow Canyon Middle School Girls' Choir. The High School choirs also sang. One of their songs was "Rhythm of Life," which brought back memories since we sang it when I was in LD Singers.
Tuesday 28: I interpreted my regular classes today. Rick teamed with me for an extra class since he didn't have to teach today because of the high school kids taking the ACT. Jared took the ACT. He said that he felt really good about the Math, but felt terrible about the reading and science sections, so we will see!

I forgot to mention last week that Janika received two scholarships for USU for Fall. She received a “service scholarship” from USU for $1000.00 and also a tuition scholarship for 60% off tuition. She barely missed the cutoff point to receive the 90% off tuition, darn it! She needed a 3.75 to receive that and she has a 3.73. Her GPA this semester will raise her grades above what is needed, but they base it on whatever they have at the time of the scholarship deadlines. She also has one more semester of the Regents $1250 left. She wants to get a good job this summer so that she can pay off her car and save up towards school and housing next year.

Tonight after dinner I went visiting teaching to three ladies. I don't like going at night -- especially after being gone all day, but I just got a new route and two of the ladies work full time. Next month we scheduled a lunch at a restaurant in town where we can all meet at the same time on everyone's lunch breaks.

Wednesday March 1: I didn't have any interpreting appointments today. I quickly cleaned up the house this morning before my primary presidency came over for our presidency meeting. We haven't had a meeting in a while and so it was fun to get together and catch up on life -- as well as primary! My first counselor, Kalli, had her two year old Van make the announcement that he was going to get a new brother or sister. We are so excited for her! The rest of are done with pregnancies and so it is exciting that there is one still in the game!

Rick has been working on making back-up copies of our external hard-drives and organizing our home-videos. The kids love watching our home videos every Sunday (probably because we don't let them watch other things). Whatever the reason, they love watching them and they bring back so many sweet memories. I have also been working on organizing photos and our family histories. My laptop was in the shop for a week and finally fixed. It cost $140.00 -- way more than I was anticipating!! But now Janelle and I can get back to to work on her personal blurb book that she is doing for one of her personal progress projects.

I received this text from Janika today:



On Wednesdays my cell phone is constantly buzzing with all of the group messages -- one announcing the Priests' activity, one for the Miamaid's activity, one for the Beehives activity, one for Josh's meeting, and another for Activity Days for Jenna. For each group text message there are multiple parents responding, asking questions, or asking for rides. Group messages save a lot of time -- but they also take a lot of time, trying to follow everyone's threads to make sure I am not missing any pertinent information!

I purposely avoided all of the "text blast" sign-ups from all of the kids' teachers at school. It is just too much to keep up with this many kids times multiple teachers per kid. I told the kids that they need to be responsible enough to keep up on all of their homework (and they are) without my interference. I do check my e-mail for important school announcements, but that's it! 

Jared, Janelle, and Jaiden had a neat Young Women's activity tonight. It was "Meet the Mormons of Santa Clara." It was combined with a few wards. They had three recently returned missionaries speak -- including Sister Lauren Smith from our ward, and Elder Empey, who was injured in the Brussels bombings last year. I think they also had a recent convert speak and someone who is currently taking the missionary lessons. They then had food from all of the different countries where the missionaries served. I heard that the activity was fabulous. 

Thursday March 2: I helped the girls with personal progress this morning -- we do it Monday through Friday and have stuck to our schedule really well! I normally go home after my first class to eat lunch and take a little nap before starting the afternoon classes, but today I had an extra appointment and so I stayed on campus and checked out the salad bar at the student center. It was pretty good. I am glad to know there are healthy and inexpensive options nearby in case I don't want to take the time to go home.

Our afternoon class was cancelled and so Rick and I were able to come home early for once! Rick got busy trying to fix the sprinklers and we had someone come and aerate our lawn. I fixed one of Janika's freezer meals -- chicken chili -- and Jared left to make a video for a school project. We read scriptures -- the nightly scripture reading thing is really failing -- we need to go back to mornings in order to have it happen consistently.

Friday 3: I asked Jenna to do a job and after she did it she said, "Can I get a treat for doing my job?" I told her that I appreciated her doing her work, but she didn't need a treat for every little thing she did. "Besides, you are a big kid now, and doing your work is just part of the responsibilities one has in a family." Then she launched into this cute anecdote. It went something like this:

"Everyone is always telling me -- 'you are a big kid.' When I was in preschool, Mrs. Kathy would say, "You can do it -- you are a big kid now!" Then when I was in Kindergarten our teacher would tell us to be quiet and say, "Remember, you are big kids now!" In first grade we sang a song that said, "We're first graders and we're big kids now!" Now I am in second grade and you are telling me that I am a big kid. So I must not have really been a big kid in preschool, in kindergarten, or in first grade!" "Are you a big kid now?" "Yes! Can I have a treat?" 

Friday 3: ASL Communications must be short on interpreters in Vegas because they keep calling and asking if we can go to Vegas and interpret. Rick likes to go if he is available, but I get enough work here and don't want to interpret in Vegas. Today I cleaned the house and I went for a nice walk in the sunshine and worked on some of my projects. Rick and I went on a date tonight. We went out to eat at Culvers. Rick had a buy one get one free meal there and learned that that they have gluten free options there and so we decided to give it a try. We both had hamburgers, mine with a gluten-free bun, and fries. So not the most healthy meal, but it tasted good. We then went shopping at Costco and ran into several other couples we know. Apparently they were doing the "Friday night date at Costco" too. ASL Comm called Rick and asked if he could interpret most of the day tomorrow and he jumped at the opportunity to earn some extra money. They said they needed two interpreters if I wanted to go with him, but I really didn't want to and so they found someone else for him to team with.

Saturday 4: I had promised Josh and Jenna that I would help them with their Science Fair projects today. We chose a very simple project for Josh, but it still took about four hours to do the experiment, type up all of the results, print off the pictures, make a graph, and put together the board. By the time it was finished I didn't have any energy left to start on Jenna's! I had tried to put Jaiden completely in charge of helping Josh and Jenna with their projects (as one of her personal progress projects). She was a big help, but I still ended up helping a lot too.

Before Rick left this morning he finished up our taxes and wrote out a check to the IRS. We owe more than $3000.00, darn it! He adjusted how much we have taken out of each check this coming year (again) so that hopefully we won't be surprised with owing that much next year. It was a gorgeous sunny day today. All of the kids were playing with friends and playing outside.

Janika and her roommates hosted a Murder Mystery Dinner tonight for all of their roommates+dates. All 8 roommates participated and asked dates. Meagan's mom owns a formal dress rental shop and she let all of the roommates go and pick out dresses for the event. Janika said that most of the girls' dresses were more fancy than the one she wore. She said that some of the girls have never been to a prom or formal event and so it was neat for them to be able to really dress up.

They decorated their entire apartment like a cruise ship. She said she would send me some better quality pictures from her roommate after she gets them. Everyone pitched in $5.00 and they bought a bunch of pizzas and then did the murder mystery. She said it was a great success and so much fun. The whole experience from planning to decorating, to picking out dresses, to hosting the event was really fun and a great bonding experience for the group of roommates. 

Sunday 5: I spent the morning preparing a turkey dinner for tonight. The kids were running around -- screaming, teasing, and fighting. Rick was taking a nap and somehow slept through it all. Rick had called our home teachers over before church (instead of tonight) so that he and our home teacher could give Jaiden a blessing. Her back has been hurting her for a couple of weeks and then last night she was goofing off on the tramp and hurt it worse and was in a lot of pain. Last night she was crying and could barely walk. Jenna was so sweet and was taking care of her every need -- heating up a rice sock in the microwave, rubbing her back, tickling her hair, getting her drinks, and helping her to the bathroom. Jenna even somehow managed dragged the ottoman from their room down the stairs because it has wheels on it and she though it might help Jaiden get around. Sweet girl!


We had a wonderful testimony meeting as usual and Jared got up and shared a really heart-felt testimony. We had Mallorie Cloward, one of our recently returned missionaries over for dinner and to ask her questions about her mission. Rick had her in Seminary and was amazed at how much she changed and matured on her mission. We skyped Janika and heard all about the above date. Well, I had better hurry to bed. I told the kids that early morning scriptures study starts again tomorrow morning. They are not happy about it.


Have a great week!!

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment