From Mom/Margie:
Happy Mother's Day to my 6 daughters-----Amy, Kim, Wendy, Jeni, Alicia, and Danielle!!
Hope you have a relaxing wonderful day and are waited on hand and foot!!
Jani did a good job. Her 4 roommates came from SL to Ogden area and stayed overnight. They just left. We had a big barbecue today with them, Rick's mom, sister, and niece. We are all getting costumed up for their traditional "Mother's Day Tea."
Janelle taught sunbeams today and Jase taught his class, using our ipad. The YW taught primary classes, but Wendy still did her President duties. One of her teachers got relieved of teaching primary, but ended up subbing as the teacher in RS!
We visited a few minutes with Scott and Amy after Sacrament meeting, before they headed back for a dinner at Blair and Linda's, so they weren't able to join us for the family barbecue.
From Jen:
Happy Mother's Day to MOM! Safe travels. I got the traditional breakfast in bed (I was up, the kids told me to get back in bed). Big BBQ this afternoon (I am so full, painfully full ... seriously, I can't quite get a deep breath) and our Facetime with Landon.
From Derek:
Happy Mother's Day and Grandmother's Day!
I took out the Westra "History" book today and showed Ani photos of Grandma and Grandpa when they were married and when the kids were small and she was super interested! She loved looking at the photos and hearing about the family when we were all younger (closer to her age).
Ani loves shows about family dynamics, but it's hard to find appropriate TV nowadays, so we're watching "The Brady Bunch" with her and she is loving it. I never watched that growing up, so it's sort of fun to see. I think she thought a lot of the 1970's-ish photos looked like Brady Bunch scenes. :)
So I need my siblings to either confirm or deny something that I remember as a kid. I distinctly remember our station wagon, and I remember sitting in the very back, facing backwards so that I was looking into the cars driving behind us (just like Alice from the Brady Bunch is in the attached pic). I think Mom says that I didn't ride back there though. Anyone remember? :)
Happy Mom's Day!
Derek
From Mom/Margie:
I don't remember any of our station wagons having extra seats that looked backwards or even had 3 rows of seats.
When we used to come from Richland on vacation once a year with our first 4 kids, we put blankets and pillows in the far back like a giant playpen/bed. We usually traveled all night, so you kids would sleep most of the way. Then Dad and I were in a daze all day from lack of sleep for us. The ride started out being 14 hours when we first moved there, then it got reduced to 12 hours over the years as more freeways were built and higher speed limits.
Before seatbelt laws and carseat laws, we had a little seat with two hooks that we would hook over the middle of the front seat so our youngest child could see out the window-----before bucket seats.
From Scott: 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate station wagon. Green with fake wood paneling on the side. I believe it had a flip up seat in the back facing out or to the side. Big block 454 under the hood. I learned to drive in that car out at the stake ranch.
From Mom/Margie:
It is good to compare memories! Sounds like Scott was into cars even back then!
Glad Chris and Kim got their 3 calls today and Jen got hers. Jen, fun song on Facebook! Remember that one well!
All the company except us has left now, so maybe Rick and Wendy can rest up from their busy weekend!
Here's a picture of the car Scott described.
I think we had a few station wagons over the years.
Check out the Car Compilation on The Westra Way blog for more pictures and memories.

No comments:
Post a Comment