This email was sent Monday, December 6th, 2021
Hey Family,
Got some unexpected news this morning when my celiac blood test came back positive.
Danielle and I were floored, and we are still in stage one of the grief cycle (denial). We are quickly moving towards anger (directed at Keto, which we believe may have shocked my body). I don't really feel sick, so I hadn't really even considered that it might be positive - but there are some strange symptoms (intestinal, fatigue and vitamin deficiency-related stuff) that led us to think that I should at least be tested. When the clinic called back, they said that the test was VERY positive.
I'm meeting with the gastroenterologist tomorrow evening, so that will help to determine if I should proceed to get a biopsy to confirm, or whether the blood test + family history of celiac is strong enough for them to diagnose without it. I've never had a colonoscopy or endoscopy and I'm not super thrilled about the idea - BUT, I would hate to make such a huge lifestyle change if there was a chance that I'm not actually celiac.
Scott and Wendy - when you were diagnosed (and when your kids were), did they do the biopsy? Did all happiness, life and color drain from the world around you immediately, or was that a gradual thing? ;) Truth be told - when I was on keto for 8 weeks (which was a zero carb diet, so essentially celiac + no sugar) I felt awesome. I slept awesome. My intestinal issues (that I've dealt with for many years) were gone. But the call of the calories was too loud and crashed back into my old lifestyle. Perhaps (if this is truly celiac), I can find a balance that keeps my healthy.
My amazing star-baker of a wife has already vowed to create the ultimate gluten free, but not happiness-free cookbook.
I'll keep ya'll posted - but by the looks of it, I'm likely joining Dad, Scott, Wendy, Kellen, Kemery, and Jenna in their world of sub-par sweets and lettuce-wrapped burgers. So long 39.5 years of gluteny-gluttony.
Derek

No comments:
Post a Comment