Thursday, December 31, 2009

Messages from Mom ~ December 2009

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Check out the pictures of LaMar and Wendy's family participating in the live Nativity at Tuachan. I meant to call Merrill and Lorrie in case they wanted to go while they were in St. George, but never got the call made.

We spoke in Sacrament meeting, Wendy played piano for prelude/postlude, and songs, gave the opening prayer, and Jase signed the closing prayer. Rick taught Gospel Doctrine. The Area Advisers in the Utah South Area, who live in Bloomington, came to hear us speak (Keith and Emily Anderson). They moved to St. George a year ago. They were formerly Area Advisers in Alaska and know Derek's mission president, from Alaska.

We had a fun trip and delicious Thanksgiving dinner and leftovers.

We stopped at Chris's on the way home for a nice visit and games with the boys.

We are busy playing "catch up" since we arrived home last night. Always lots of family history email and phone calls to catch up on. I got my Dec. 1 newsletter out today, which is always a relief. A month passes by all too quickly. I had it mostly prepared before we left for St. George, thank goodness.

I went to my diabetes doctor this morning and my A1c test was 5.3, which is very good! The lowest it has been in 6 years! It is usually about 5.9 the past few times. My weight was up 2 lbs. instead of a weight loss this time---I guess I enjoyed our Thanksgiving visit too much!

LaMar got some of the Christmas lights up in the yard today.

Tomorrow we have our semi-annual dental cleaning and checkup with Jason, then on to our missionary job. We hope to have lunch in the COB with Derek.

Thursday, Shane is coming for his weekly lunch visit.

Chris called tonight and said he and some of his boys might come Sat. for a visit and dinner.

Ensign Club Wed. next week (9th), so we will hopefully get to visit with Merrill and Lorrie then. So we will plan on going downtown Thursday next week.

Time for bed.

Goodnight, love ya
Mom/Margie


Tuesday, December 8, 2009
We went to the dentist--Jason--downtown this morning. The traffic was crawling about 5-10 miles an hour. We had allowed 20 extra minutes, but were still 15 min. late! The roads are lots better now, but 7th East still hasn't been plowed. I need two crowns replaced--decay underneath. He thought maybe just the one, and would decide on the other when he got working, but said it would be better to do it also. I go in on Scott's birthday to have them put on. 
My dad called Jason yesterday to see if he could come in with us--something about 2 clips on his dentures. Jason was too booked today. He said he had replaced them not long ago, and maybe he could check them at home or at Merrill's.

I called my dad this morning and said we'd stop and shovel his driveway on the way home. Their breakfast dishes and OJ were still on the table at 11:30. They sure must eat late. Mother hadn't taken her morning pills yet. Dad(Grandpa Rex) was out trying to get his snowblower working, but it wouldn't start. Later while we were there, a neighbor came over and fixed it, but it was all shoveled by then.

Mother(GrandmaZada) said, we never see any of you guys any more. I said we all come once a week and she said, that's not enough, we need to get together more, a couple of nights a week and play games.

I cleaned out their fridge--lots of rotten stuff and containers of shriveled plums and prunes from a couple of months ago. I made jello with lots of fruit in and some pudding. I brought up applesauce, grape juice, and peaches, and put them in the fridge, hoping they will use them. There's still apples and oranges in the crisper that we brought 10 days ago. I worry that she just fixes bacon and eggs for breakfast and meat and potatoes for dinner, and that's all she seems to know to do.

Mother's visiting teacher Sue Ludlow called while I was there and we chatted awhile. She gave me her phone number. She was going to bring some dinner in today perhaps, but I told her I brought lasagna and vegetables, french bread, apple pie, and some pumpkin pie (leftovers from our company dinner Sunday). So she said she would probably do it Thursday and would touch base with Dad first. She said she tries to check on them 2-3 times a month. She herself is battling cancer and her companion's daughter is dying of cancer.

Sue Ludlow said Hospice is great to work with. I thought you had to be terminal within 5-6 months, but she said no.

I mopped the kitchen floor. As we were leaving, I noticed the bathroom floor needed it also, but we were ready to go at that point. Their tub sure needs scrubbing.

I think we need to sign them up for home health care---tell them to at least try it for a couple of months. Sue said once they have someone coming in, they will love it. I'll learn more as our friends Joen and Ray try it.

We'll plan on going Friday to play games if nothing comes up to prevent it. Shane and Alicia are taking us out to dinner Sat. night for my birthday--hope the weather is okay for it.

Happy 14th Birthday to Janika today!

Wendy, did you find the spam we left in your fridge? And the little bottle is Miracle Whip Light, which we forgot. So use it up. You could save the decorative jam jar it was in. They are cute for giving a bottle of jam to a neighbor.

How was everyone's commute this morning? Ours was bad. We were going to shop after the folks, but just went to the library and came home.

It's nice to have our tree and decorations up, but we still have to get all the big containers taken back downstairs. It's been a busy couple of days.

Lorrie, your Christmas card is darling!
Love, Margie


Friday, December 11, 2009
Hi Kids,

Wendy said this year they would only be here from about 4-5, so they could get to Ogden for dinner at 6, since they've missed it the past few years, arriving there later. So we'll probably want to open gifts first while they are here and decide what they would like to do next before they leave: Grayson's video, candy bar game, or nativity performance. We could start a little earlier, except Wendy needs time for their "Christmas morning at home." Plus Danielle has to work on Christmas Eve Day-bummer! Does anyone else?

Chris said they might have to leave earlier than usual also because Sandy's brother was flying in and they might have a get-together that evening.

So, instead of our soup supper with tables to set up and shifts to eat, I thought we could switch to a finger-food buffet on-going for the evening while we do the other activities. I'll buy a big cheeseball I love at Smith's and have a variety of crackers, regular, and gluton-free. I'll make some little mini-muffins (poppyseed and blueberry). We can have chips and dips, vegetables and dips, and fresh fruit. And desserts and goodies, of course. Jeni also wanted to bring her traditional honey-baked ham. We could cut it in pieces and have pieces of cheese also---and lots of toothpicks. She will also do her chocolate fountain if Dad will okay it and the kids won't get chocolate all over them and the house! The kids are usually more anxious for the activities than to eat anyway.

I think this route will be easier on me and my knees also. My left knee was getting a little better each day since it went bad last Friday, but then yesterday, it started hurting in a new place (maybe from walking funny for days or being busy downtown yesterday and shopping afterwards), so I am still limping around. And I have all these exercise tapes out of the library I am wanting to do!! But also trying to not overdo!

Then Jeni said she would host the hot soup supper on New Year's Eve for a game night for those who live close enough to attend and want to join us.

How does that sound to everyone?

love, Mom

Lorrie is having her Christmas brunch around noon or 1--seems to get later every year.


Tuesday, December 15, 2009
I just took the 2008 newsletter and updated the kids' ages and changed what Church jobs I knew.

Can you each add any information about your family you want to put, change any wrong info, update Church jobs, etc. and choose what picture you would like added (the dropbox is a good source for the picture).

Send it to us and to Derek. I asked him this morning if he would help again in putting the newsletter together since he did such a great job last year. He hasn't answered me yet, so I'm assuming he will do it :-) !

Derek, if you want to leave the same Christmas Lights, etc., that's okay. Probably no one remembers the look of last year's newsletter.
From Derek:  Thanks Mom. Just to make sure we're on the same page -- the final version I did last year wasn't the Christmas lights one -- it has the same content, but different pictures and I think a better format. I've attached it here. Unfortunately, I did it in PowerPoint and I don't have it saved except in PDF so I might have to try to re-create it, or do something slightly different. I also made it on a Mac which is much easier to use than my PC. :(



Saturday, December 19, 2009
We went to Amy's grandma's funeral yesterday. It was very nice---most of the family wearing pink!

Then we tended Adria and Rella while Alicia was hired to do a photo shoot at Wheeler Farm for a family. We tended the girls Thurs. night while they went to Shane's work party at Tuscany's.

I felt myself coming down with a UTI yesterday and it got bad in the night. We went to the Urgent Care Center this morning and then to get the prescriptions filled. Dad went to Home Depot while I was at the doctor's to get more fluorescent lights for the bathroom, which gave out a day or so ago.

I'm glad to be on medicine and hope it gets rid of it this time---3rd treatment! I feel a little icky right now from the medicine.

We went to grandma's last night and I took enough turnkey dinners for them for a couple of days. I made jello and pudding while there. Meals on wheels starts next week, once a day. A home-health care nurse will start coming in once a week.

Wendy, that's wonderful that you won some money and a year's gym membership! Besides the weight loss!

Thursday is the Christmas Eve party at 4 or a little before.

Amy is bringing artichoke dip and dipping breads, etc.--gluten-free and regular.

D & D chips and dips. Shane and Alicia - cookies. Jen, chocolate fountain, and dippers (tell all the kids to not get chocolate all over the house or Grandpa will be upset!), ham maybe.

We'll have green onion cheeseball and crackers--gluten-free and regular. Mini blueberry muffins and mini poppyseed muffins.

Sandy and Wendy--whatever.........we know it's enough of a chore just to travel here........

Well, I better go lay down for awhile. Dad's already napping.

love, Mom


Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Hi Kids,

Our refrigerator just got picked up--nice to have it out of the garage. The inner-city mission has an information network, so if you have working things to give away, that is nice to know. That's how this was arranged. We learned that from Zentners, ward members serving a mission. Maybe when we get a new couch, we could give our old one away that way--if the timing works out.

Do any of you shop at the quilted bear? I have some coupons if anyone wants them--good through 2010.

I also have several coupons for IHOP for a free child's meal, 12 and under, if an adult entree is purchased---------good all through 2010. Let me know if you want them.

Grandpa said someone snowplowed his driveway early this morning (the truck with a plow thingy), so that's nice.

I've just been emailing back and forth with the stake president of the Stansbury Park South stake. His son is on a mission in Utica New York and has an Elder Westra for a companion. But I guess it's not a relative. I told him we'd like to know more. I wrote Dad's cousin Joy, but it is not one of her grandson's. That's the only possibility we could think of. President Chad Allred is a distant relative, since we are related to Allreds. He grew up in Manti with my twin cousins Kathy and Kerri and says he knew Ken and Yvonne well. Scott, this is the stake president that you mentioned meeting one time.

While at the Urgent Care center on Sat., I was reading a health magazine with an article about stress. It kept quoting a psychologist Beverly Westra (back East). It seemed funny to see Westra in print in a magazine, since it is such an uncommon name.

Shane and Derek: You didn't tell me which of you will take charge of the candy bar game/games (you mentioned wanting two ages).

Scott and Amy stopped by Monday night with our Christmas present------------something to put in our stairway alcove! Hooray! We've only been needing something there for 15 years! You'll get to see it tomorrow.

Nelva just called and they will bring the grandparents to our house about 4:30, so we won't have to go pick them up before our party. One of us will have to take them home later though.
Nelva and Arnold will visit a little with all of you and then they are going to dinner at Arnold's brother.

See you all tomorrow about 4 or earlier.
love, Mom


Thursday, December 24, 2009
Grandma can't find one of her hearing aids, which Grandpa swears she had at our place............so watch for it if it fell in some of the presents or wrappings.

Jen, we have your Nativity music CD.

Wendy, we have Jenna's baby bottle that was in the fridge.

?????, we have a small dark blue sweatshirt.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Friday, December 25, 2009
We had a nice time at Lorrie's and played the candy bar game again. It's a tradition for them now also. We saw all their kids except Jeff and Matt. Matt had to work.

Emily had everyone over for a turkey dinner on Christmas Eve. She sent a lot of leftovers home with grandparents today.

When we took the grandparents home, we had planned on staying and playing games with them. But instead I made all of the leftovers into 6 little dinners with veggies. I was afraid they would just waste the food otherwise. Then I was tired, so we just came home.

Grandpa called Nelva later today and asked them to check their car, and they found the missing $3,000 hearing aid, so that was a major relief for Dad!

We have someone's cookie sheet from last night and Gray's giant chocolate chips. We can bring the chips on New Year's Eve.

I relaxed and watched two Christmas movies tonight. Dad, of course, chose the computer and genealogy instead---surprise, surprise! He tried one movie for about 15 min., but I could tell he preferred to be elsewhere, so told him to go ahead and leave.........

Chris and Conner leave in the morning for California and will get back New Year's Eve. Pray for a safe trip and some help for Chris.

We hope you all had a good day!

Goodnight, love ya
Mom

Saturday, December 26, 2009
Hi Kids,

I guess we're going to take the grandparents to Layton in the morning to see Janell's baby blessed and so they can take some 5-generation pictures (which doesn't happen very often). The oldest person is usually very old and the others are usually all the oldest child of the oldest child of the oldest child (Nelva, Dale, Janelle, Janelle's baby).

We have a 5-generation picture with Nelva as the baby.

Sunday, December 27, 2009
We just got home from Layton after being gone 7 hours. We stayed to all 3 meetings. Dale taught gospel doctrine. Dale and Stephanie have a lovely home on 1 and 1/2 acres of hilly land in a nice neighborhood. We'd been there once before. Dale got his teaching credentials and had been promised a full-time teaching position this year, and turned down another. Then the principal went back on his promise. Dale teaches PE 4 days a week and then picks up substitute teaching jobs on Fridays. But he doesn't get benefits since it isn't "full-time." Stephanie will finish her teaching degree this year. Stephanie's parents were here from California. LaMar and Stephanie's Dad, Tom Haag, went to high school together, so enjoy talking about old times.

Grandma has always sung out really loud, thinking she has a good voice (she doesn't). Today (probably because of not hearing well) she would sometimes be a half line behind in the words and sing out a loud crackly solo for a half line after everyone else had ended! I tried to sing into her ear and follow the words in the songbook with my finger to try to keep her up to speed, but it didn't always work!

We had a nice luncheon afterwards and lots of pictures were taken.

Anyone else going to Jen's for New Year's Eve--we haven't heard. Be sure to copy us all on your plans.

We don't plan on going downtown this week to the Church History Library. LaMar is going tomorrow though for his Monday shift.

So Shane, you could come to lunch Tues., Wed., or Thurs. We found 6 more lbs. of bacon in the freezer, Shane, so we are still in the bacon and eggs business!

Chris's doctor appt. is at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning (California time), so pray hard that the doctor will be blessed to help him.

love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment