Friday, November 8, 2024

Colton Connects from Clackamas (Nov/Dec)

... a post in progress, and will be updated with new communications. Just to keep this mostly COLTON, I'll just feature his letters (which often are answering questions Mommy had asked) and will include some tidbits from texts as well as emails.




November 6, 2024

I had work at Walgreens on Halloween, but both Conner and Kobe were home. They said we didn't get any trick-or-treaters. I don't think we had any candy ready anyway so that worked out well.

The matchups for the jamboree were just 20minutes/running clock. I called them games but it did feel a little weird with how short they were. If you get behind in one of those games, it's really hard to come back. We're actually not going to the last jamboree in Bellevue because it's starting a little too early and we would have to drive up a few hours earlier than that so our coaches decided not to go. They have all the roster decisions made now, just need to have those talks with the players who won't be receiving a jersey. Hopefully we will have our media day sometime next week before the first game. I have number 15, for some reason we don't have any numbers below 10.

School is still about the same, just getting it done. I've liked the online class more than the in-person so far, but my in-person classes are mostly online anyway since they only meet once a week. I haven't got my classes for next term planned yet, I have to make an appointment with PJ, our academic counselor.

I tried all week to get my Sunday shift swapped but there were no responses, as nobody really works similar hours to me. I had to call out a day before and let my manager know I couldn't come in. I still haven't got my schedule to them yet, but none of my games conflict with work until December. They know I'm unavailable during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday, all good with my travel home.

Parking at the apartment wasn't an issue at all for a while, we actually have two spots since we're on a corner of the complex. And there's a lot of guest spots right by our place too. Lately though, they've been working on the roof of all the buildings and lots of those spots are taken up by dumpsters they're using for the old roof parts. We had someone come and do something that did get rid of the ants in the kitchen. I still have some in my room unfortunately. It rains almost every night, which really creates a problem in my room. So much moisture gets through my windows just from condensation and gets onto my blinds too. It drips down and although I can see that it's not actually wet, it makes some stuff in my room feel moist, like my pillowcase and blanket sometimes. I've checked the windows in Connor and Kobe's room and it doesn't happen to theirs at all so I don't know why it's happening to mine.

South Puget Sound and Tacoma are possibly two of the best teams in the NWAC so we weren't too upset with those losses. Blue Mountain was rough, we did not play that good. I was happy with how many assists I was getting, especially for how short the games were. Got to talk with Q and Lance (another kid from our recruiting trip), a lot at the jamboree. I don't know if you noticed but in one of the games you could actually see Centralia on the opposite court and even see Q at times. The game against Tacoma was awesome, it was the last game of the night and we had some of the other teams watching too. I don't know if you already watched it all but a fight almost happened so the intensity was just higher because of that too. Gray and I stayed for a couple hours after the scrimmages with Coach Stamme in the team room, we were talking about the roster decisions and the scrimmages. I think they're going to have me be a captain with Gray and Mason. Stamme is back on his feet now after his knee replacement surgery, he's walking with a cane, already looking a lot better than before.

Love ya!

************************************************

November 14, 2024

Haven’t seen any snow here, thank goodness. Locals say not to really expect it either, just rain every day. Driving in the rain is a little sketchy at times because the roads are really dark at night, not many streetlights here in Oregon.

I’ve been giving Coach Stamme rides home from practice while he’s still recovering from his surgery so he’s been showing some of his favorite food spots around Oregon City.

Utah vs BYU ... No one pays attention to Utah schools in Oregon so I didn’t hear much about the big game in person. My social medias were blowing up though.

No media day for team pictures yet, not sure of when that will be arranged. Haven’t actually got to try on any of the jerseys yet. We’re going to be wearing dark blue tomorrow even though it’s a home game, Centralia had a problem with their away jerseys so they asked if they can wear white.  Super excited for tomorrow, got some buddies and coaches back from Utah wanting to watch the game too to watch Q and I play each other.

I needed to ask you about our Amazon account. Would I be able to order with it too, I need to get some different color compression undershirts for our jerseys. There’s only a few of us away from home, me, Connor and Kobe, then Jordan, Reggie, and Dom (redshirt) are in an apartment right outside the campus.

Love ya!

*****************************************

November 22, 2024
We're expecting the second one against Centralia to be much harder so trying not to let the win make us underestimate them.

I think our furthest travel actually comes from a region game, Southwestern Oregon. They're in Coos Bay, about a four hour drive south for us. I like that most of the games are pretty close, but I think I would still enjoy far away games. Although, since we take a small team bus, the seats can sometimes be a little uncomfortable, so long drives won't always be fun.

Plantar fasciitis pain was always the back of the foot on the heel. Haven't had it in a while. Funny though since I actually went out and bought some special inserts for plantar fasciitis last week, but I only wanted to use them for making my new basketball shoes more comfortable. I got these new "Way of Wade" shoes, and they use a much larger than average insole that's very cushioned, but it makes the shoe really tight. I had the same brand of shoes for my senior year at WJ and I remember having that same issue with my foot hurting too much with the original insole but felt pretty good once I replaced it with my own. Still trying to get them worn in enough to the point I actually would wear them in game.

Interesting updates from Coop/DLP. I do remember some meetings talking about those end of year bonuses. I think I know those who were let go, that's unfortunate.

Really excited for the Thanksgiving holiday next week, it'll be nice to sleep in the big bed again. Been talking to Jair a lot and am excited to see some of the guys again.

Got all registered for Winter term, mostly online classes with one in person meeting. Grades are okay, public speaking is a little hard because of the teacher, she's a hard grader. Walgreens has still been pretty good, going down to two shifts a week. I haven't really been buying the sugar cookies anymore, they are not always at the Grocery Outlet unfortunately. I've been really liking those oatmeal creme pies and oreos. Found a couple good frozen baked ziti and lasagnas that are easy and really tasty. Lots of ground beef and eggs as well, and fast food :).

Love ya!

****************************************************
December 8, 2024

Sorry for the late reply, this has been a really long week. It was so good to be back home for Thanksgiving but it did make this week feel quite a bit more stressful as I had a lot to come back to. I had work the night after I got back, a speech in class on Tuesday night, work Wednesday night, my final project due in business class on Thursday I spent all night finishing up, then on the road Friday morning. Just not a lot of free time at all, which also makes it hard to find a day to get the charger in the shop. The check engine light is on, oil change due, and one of the tires has low air pressure (although I think that's just from the cold weather).


The weekend was pretty fun considering it didn't quite go the way we wanted. We did three to a hotel room, and all of our rooms were in this one clump so we were just usually all in one room hanging out whenever we had time. I was with Jkari and Miles. There was a 7/11 right by the hotel, so we took a few trips where we would all go and grab lots of snacks with our EBT cards and go to one room and watch either college basketball or college football. Sorry to say I didn't really get any pictures. The first two games we had a couple players almost get a tech for swearing on the court so when we were hanging out Saturday Night and talking about that, we jokingly talked about no more swearing from that point on during the weekend and it became a big part of that night. If anyone swore, they had to do 50 pushups, then 10 more for any additional after that. We were all just listening for it and whenever someone accidentally swore we would freak out, it was a fun night. We went to a pizza place the first night, Red Robin the second, and a quick sandwich place called Quiznos tonight before heading back.


The game against Skagit Valley was rough, but we weren't too down after that loss. They are ranked #2 in the NWAC and to only lose by 12 without our main big guy wasn't too bad. We just got killed on rebounding is what we really took from that game. Pacific JV ... even though we won, we should've played better so everyone was just pretty calm in the locker room after that one. Tonight was a game we really should've won. It does suck we are missing two key guys but we just did not play how we should. I'm happy that I was able to get my buckets these last two games as throughout the season I've been struggling to get the ball in the rim. Pierce's best player (#0) and I were talking a bit during the game as we were going back and forth with a lot of buckets between the two of us. He was cool, he did not enjoy having to guard me.


I'm happy it was very easy for Dad to get the flight change done, I was a little worried about that coming up. Connor didn't start one of our games earlier in the year because he was late for our shootaround that day so I know missing a practice would probably result in something similar.


Lova ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment