Westra Family and Friends (October 9, 2024)
Christine delivered baby Jonah Hudson Westra on October 2. They are all doing well. They sent us some pictures on our vacation. So we had three grandchildren due in September, and only one was born in September. Kylie’s baby came early in August, Aspen in September, and Christine’s baby in October.
Krystal passed the bar exam!!!! Congratulations to her.
We enjoyed General Conference. That Gethsemane song was amazing, by the children. We also appreciated Elder Bednar’s talk about the Book of Mormon and how it’s a book for our day, and of prophecy, and not just a historical record. Monday we went out to eat at Texas Roadhouse with Mom and Dad.
Kim and I enjoyed a wonderful hiking trip in Colorado. We left Tuesday, October 1 and drove to Montrose, Colorado. Our first full day there we went to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. We’ve been there once before, a couple years ago. We went on the Oak Flat Loop trail which drops down into the canyon on some switchbacks. Then after a rest we drove along and stopped at the lookouts (short hikes on some).
Then we went south and took a steep road (East Portal Road) all the way down to the river, and went on a short hike along the river.
The next day (Thursday) we headed through Ridgway (where True Grit was filmed) to a mountain town called Ouray. Our AC gave out on the pilot but I was able to change out the correct fuse and fix it, with a little help from YouTube. We hiked to a pretty waterfall, and then did part of the perimeter trail (which goes completely around the town). It was steeper than we expected. Ouray is surrounded by mountains and is similar to Park City (outdoorsy artsy town) but the mountains are even closer.
Then after a rest I hiked another part of the perimeter trail and Kim checked out some of the shops on Ouray Main Street. We ate in the Airbnb all three evenings to save money for other things.
Then Friday we headed home somewhat early as Kim had a dental appointment in Salt Lake in the afternoon. We watched the movie Wish You Well, over two evenings while on our trip. That was Kim’s latest book club book.
I came pretty close to a rattlesnake while up rock collecting. It rattled and warned me, and I heeded the warning. That’s only the second one I’ve seen up on West Mountain.
Kim and I have been enjoying the book “Added Upon”. I found a copy in the old books over at Mom and Dad’s house. It was written over 100 years ago and this copy was owned by my Grandpa Westra. I’ve read it decades ago, and I’m reading it to Kim - it follows the same few people from the premortal spirit world, to mortality, then to the spirit world, and then in resurrected bodies. It’s a great story. Added upon (the title) comes from this scripture in the Pearl of Great Price. “And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.” (Abraham 3:24–26.)

No comments:
Post a Comment