Friday, June 8, 2007

Blackham Update (June 2007)


June 06, 2007 Blackham Update

I know it’s been a while since I’ve written, things have just been SO busy. May and June have been pretty crazy for Gray with several pinewood derbies, a scout court of honor, opening of the design center at work, but we just got the last major project (field day) wrapped up, so that is a big relief!

I can’t tell you what a great job Grayson did on field day. He’s so organized and well planned. So many people just raved about it, saying it was the best field day they had ever been to.  I’ve attached a map of the activities to give you both a general idea of the day, and Grayson’s organizational skills (he had complete folders with maps and schedules and instructions for each volunteer, teacher, etc.) Thanks to Adrian who came out and helped again! I ran  the “Relay Races” station and got pretty toasted ... I’m a real “red”neck now. The PTA president for next year asked if Grayson would be willing to do the same thing next year. It would still be quite a bit of work (Grayson went over the night before with spray paint and laid out boundaries and such for each activity, printed out large signs for each station, printed out booklets, etc.) but it almost seems silly not to after putting so much into it. We would switch a couple things up I’m sure. I asked the kids what their favorite activities were and they were (1) the dunk tank (2) slip and slide (a huge roll of plastic) and (3) water war (simply throwing water on each other) although pretty much all the activities had a favorable review.

So Friday was the kids last day - we always get out before July 4th, but often just before (last year I think it was July 2). The other tracks go back on at the end of July, they only have three weeks off. D track starts back mid August. The two older boys have scout camps and I might sign them up for swimming and/or tennis lessons. Hopefully we’ll get some family camping and such in too.

Gray and I have had a little fun together. We had a weekend in Park City, and we went on the Alpine Slide and Alpine Coaster. We also went camping, just the two of us. I can’t tell you what a different experience it is without the kids, to actually be able to relax around the fire. The pyromaniac in me surfaced (I like to play with fire, see what burns, etc.). Usually I don’t play around, setting a proper example for the boys. We slept in Gray’s new little tent, it was quite cozy.

It’s been nice working with Gray so much lately. He did most of field day on his own, but I stepped up a little at the end to assist in wrapping things up, hopefully it was a help. I also went with him on his last derbies, running the start gate or working the computer. For the court of honor (2 eagle awards) Gray wanted to share the chocolate fountain, so I manned the kitchen while he ran the ceremony and the fountain was a huge hit. We’ve also been team teaching in primary and that has been a lot of fun.

Even with being so busy, we’ve still managed to get our dates in and have some family fun. In one week we saw all three “3rd” movies out at that time ... Pirates, Shrek and Spiderman. Since then we’ve also seen Ocean’s 13 and the latest “Die Hard”.  We took the parents out to Desert Star for the show there. We took the boys to the Gateway and let them run in the water fountain there and played at Gasoline Alley (an arcade). Gray took the older boys to the planetarium and the 3-D dino movie. We had a family bike ride (using the tandem of course) and went swimming at Mom and Dad’s pool. We’ll be heading up to Pineview for the July 4th holiday. Callahan will get his cast off the day after. We got a “waterproof” cast which has been good as there has been so much water activity going on. It is still a little stinky and we’ll be glad to get it off, nice to have him in working order again, although with kids and a cast, they are pretty much normal anyway.

Callahan wasn’t the only thing “broken” - we also had to have people in to repair our sprinklers (had a nice leak that had me bailing out a window well, luckily it didn’t flood the basement AGAIN!), the treadmill (I need it!), our dishwasher, our cable tv, our DSL, our tetherball pole ....

So, it’s been the good, the bad, the busy ... we look forward to see what July brings ...
Love, Jen and da boys




No comments:

Post a Comment