Thursday, March 19, 2009

Blackham Update (March)


03/19/2009 Blackham Update

A little excitement with the Blackham Bunch yesterday.  Keaton has been asking when we could go back to “Jumping Jacks” (big inflatable slides, bounce house, obstacle course) and the boys didn’t have their usual Wednesday activities, so it seemed like a good day to go.

We hadn’t even been there 15 minutes ... I had just finished signing the release form *Ü* ... Landon had jumped down from a high spot and broken his fall with his wrist. It was absolutely obvious it was broken. All the strangers at the play place were SO helpful. One woman helped get shoes back on the little ones and get them strapped into car seats, on man stayed with Landon and talked with him and calmed him down, kept him breathing and helped him get into the car and belted in.

I hurried and dropped the kids home and was able to have a neighbor gal come over to watch them. I took Landon to the Instacare, but they took one look at the wrist and said we would need to go up to Primary Children’s. I was able to hook up with Grayson in Midvale and we went up together. I called Mom and Dad, who were able to go over to the house and relieve the babysitter. We got in pretty fast, and they gave Landon some pain meds and got an x-ray (Gray should have snapped a picture of it!). Both bones in the wrist snapped clean through.

The break happened a little after 5:00. We were at the ER by 6:30 or 7:00. The ortho team was operating on a bad femur fracture and we were told they would be to us around 9:30. Unfortunately there were some complications there and they didn’t get to us until almost 11:30. Landon was able to sleep for a good portion of the time though.

We lost the shirt .... they had to cut it off. They had given him an IV first thing, and some Morphine for the pain (they had to move it some for the x-rays). Landon was very brave the whole time. To reset the bone, they brought an x-ray machine into the room. There were two orthopedic surgeons for the fracture and three doctors/nurses for the sedation and to monitor his breathing. He was under for 20-30 minutes. They got the wrist straightened out and put the cast on. Even under, Landon jumped when they first manipulated the wrist, but they assured us he wouldn’t remember anything. They actually split the cast (room for any swelling), usually they just do a splint, and cast it later. So I’m not sure if they will leave this one on the whole time, or replace it when we have to go back in a week.


So once that was done and Landon woke up (which he had a little bit of difficulty doing) we were able to come home (it was just after 1:00). Thanks to Mom and Dad for the late night help.

Landon is supposed to take it real easy for a couple of days ... wrist higher than the elbow, elbow higher than the heart. The ortho doctor said to take these two days off school, the ER doctor releasing us said that if Thursday went fine, he could probably try school on Friday if he wanted to. Landon said his school does have a policy that kids with broken bones do get to leave class 5 minutes early to make it through the hallways without the crush of kids. I wouldn’t have thought of that, but it does seem like a good idea. Landon does have a big test tomorrow ... He’s actually doing really well in school (all A’s, one A-) but I don’t know how well he’ll do making up stuff on his own. He is seeming very tired, has been asleep most of the morning.

So .... not exactly what I had planned for last night. Gray and I were supposed to go play racquetball, with Landon tending. I have been using him a lot to watch his younger brothers. He was supposed to be going to Moab this weekend with Dad (Gray is running the half marathon), so I’m not sure about that now.

Earlier in the day I wondered if I was going to have to take a kid to the Instacare ... I had gotten a call from the school about Keaton, who had a bloody nose ... and apparently something stuck up there. Keaton told me “it’s not like it’s an eraser” ... which lead me to believe it might be an eraser. I went over and was able to plug the other side and get him to blow it out. He was a little emotionally drained, afraid he would get in trouble, although he said it happened when a kid pushed his head down. Not sure. I brought him home for a bit and let him rest, then when he seemed recovered took him back to school.

One week ago Gray stabbed himself a good one right above his wrist. Both Landon and I were out for the evening. I wish I had been home because I think it really did need a few stitches, but Gray thought it was too late once I got back. It’s doing ok ... but I do still think it should have been looked at.

On the bright side ... Cooper is a Pooper! Last Friday he went in the potty for the first time, and hasn’t had a problem ever since. I had just purchased several packages of pull-ups, but I think we’re in underwear for good now. The final hurdle is getting him comfortable on other potty places. He has a little white insert for here at home, and we’ve brought it to Grandpa and Grandma’s house when we’ve come over there. So if we can just get him over that, I think we are officially potty trained .... next up ... Colton, who has seemed very in tune to when he is wet “I’m wet, change me ...”

Callahan is starting up both basketball and soccer. His true love is basketball. We didn’t realize there was an outlet for it year round when we signed him up for soccer last fall. The soccer is a fall/spring league, so it’s the same team/season as before. It’s a great team and a dedicated coach, and as long as the soccer doesn’t conflict with the basketball, Callahan’s ok with it. But both teams are holding practices the same night (soccer practices twice a week) and when we get the soccer schedule, we will probably have some game conflicts. So we’ll be finishing up this soccer season, then we’ll just focus on the basketball.

I played in MY first soccer game last Saturday. I’ve found a group of adults that have an amateur league. They just get together, pick teams, and play. They do try to have an advanced game for the in-shape and excellent players, then and intermediate/novice game for anyone who wants to play. I’ll probably go back, it was fun. I also got a membership to Gold’s Gym so Gray and I can go play racquetball whenever we want, and we’ve already been several times.

So that’s the Blackham news ..

No comments:

Post a Comment