Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Shane & Alicia Update (September 2018)

Hey Family!

It's been a while since we've sent an update...we've really gotten out of the habit of sending one out! I thought I would write one quickly while I was thinking about it.

The kids have been in school for over a month now, and I think we've finally got the hang of our new schedule. Calder is really enjoying 1st grade (except for the homework) and loves his teacher and class. His teacher is really big into positive reinforcement and gives the kids fun individual rewards for achieving behavior goals. They can earn a pajama day, lunch bunch (where they and a friend get to eat lunch in the classroom with the teacher), ring ring (calling mom or dad on the classroom phone during the school day to say hi...it's prearranged), seat swap, party for two (not sure what that is, but I could remember it) and several other rewards. Calder recently redeemed his Lunch Bunch reward and invited his friend Sadie to join him for lunch in the classroom yesterday. We've added soccer to his speech, OT, and swimming activities. He enjoys the practices and tolerates the games, but says every game is "perfect". He's also adopted an adult friend from our ward as his "twin" and loves seeing her at church and at other activities. 

Rella is tolerating 7th grade...I think she enjoys it more than she wants to admit. I've been impressed with her improved homework skills and we received a really nice email from her math teacher about what a dream Rella is in class. We've had many people mention Rella's sunshine personality to us over the years. It's fun to see her interact with the YW of the ward. She gives hugs to any MiaMaid or Beehive (I think she doesn't know the Laurels well enough to give them spontaneous hugs) and is good at including people in her circle. Rella and her friend Sadie decided to both get their ears pierced now that they are 12, so we had a double mommy/daughter date on Saturday to check that off their bucket lists. Rella wasn't too sure about the pain aspect of it and said afterward that it hurt more than she expected, but she did great! Much easier than convincing her to get a vaccination.

Adria is enjoying being one of the Big Kids on Campus at the Middle School. She is a TA for one of the science teachers, which she thinks is great since occasionally the teacher doesn't have anything for her to do and she can read or do homework instead. Adria has been playing soccer on a team of mostly high schoolers and has really been enjoying it. Their season wraps up earlier than the younger kids' seasons as to not conflict with the high school soccer regulations. Adria's been working hard on Personal Progress and developing some events for her calling in Family History. She's also been working on improving her mile time again so she can earn her two-tone gym shorts. She said yesterday that she had the fastest mile time of the girls in her gym period.

Shane is traveling this week and next in Europe (Amsterdam and London). They officially dropped the Webdam name a couple weeks ago, so now the company here is Bynder as well. He's definitely not bored at work! Or at church! He keeps busy both places.

I'm just trying to stay on top of everything and keep everyone happy most of the time. I'm helping quite a bit at the elementary school and meeting more and more people there, which is fun. Right now I am wrapping my head around a multicultural event that is happening in November. The girls and I are heading to Utah for my annual mini session trip in a few weeks and my mini sessions here are starting to pick up speed.

We went to the ward campout at Sunset State Beach a couple weekends ago and had a good time! The kids loved playing card games and laser tag with their friends and hanging out at the beach the next day. The girls rode home with friends and each got to stop for a fun little side trip. Calder probably would have been bummed that he didn't get to ride home with his "twin" but loved the idea that he got to pick most of the music on the car ride home. 

That's it for now! We hope you all have a great day!

Alicia, Shane, Adria, Rella, & Calder

No comments:

Post a Comment