March 7, 2021
Thanks for those that have sent emails, it's great to hear what is going on! Here's a quick update from us.
- Highland House -- The structural engineer is still not finished; although they say "just a couple more days" (but we've been hearing that for a while now). There were a few minor things that the architect will then need to adjust based on the structural engineering. Then we can finally go to bid with the two builders we have narrowed it down to. We're starting to get our paperwork ready for the construction loan. We're just nervous because the cost of lumber and most everything else has skyrocketed, so we hope it's not significantly out of the budget that both builders originally said would be doable.
- Health Stuff -- I've had some issues with my joints for a while now. Really painful knees mostly, but now my ankles are massively swollen (I make Hilary Clinton's cankles look sexy) and I have pain in my elbows and wrists (and one wrist is now swollen). So I've been going to doctors to try to figure stuff out -- they've ruled out celiacs (from blood tests), and are thinking it might be lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. I'm being referred to a rheumatologist. Separately, I got a colonoscopy last Thursday, no polyps or anything else concerning (it was a fantastic nap, but not worth the prep). I thought about posting some pictures of my lower intestine, but maybe I'll save that for the family calendar and Christmas slide show. Adria has had a condition called "Haglund's Deformity", and also some infected and bruised toes, making soccer and running painful. And Rella has a foot condition called "Ballet", which leads to ingrown toenails and generally hurt feet from her pointe shoes.
- Busy at SimpleNexus -- Work was insanely busy last month. We had our annual user conference (I presented more than anybody else), lots of work to comply with a huge multi-year regulation deadline on March 1, and I've hired 5 people with 3-4 more to hire.
- Ski School for Calder -- Calder's been doing a ski school at Sundance that is organized by the elementary schools. He has his third lesson tomorrow, and his last one two weeks after. Hopefully there will still be enough snow for the last lesson! I was hoping to ski more this season, but my ankles don't fit in ski boots any more.
- Rella's Dance -- Rella is enjoying dance more than ever. She does ballet, contemporary, jazz, and tumbling. They've had a few "parent shows" where one parent can watch a normal class, which has been fun. Her studio's company concert is at the end of the month. She is also planning on trying out for the high school's dance teams and is hoping to secure a place on one of them.
- Adria is busy -- Between school, soccer, work (sometimes over 20 hours a week), mandolin, National Honors Society, and HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America), Adria's schedule is overflowing. But she continues to get straight As (as does Rella) and helps out around the house plenty.
- Alicia's Photography -- Leashee is continuing to work on her business. She's updating her website, going more into interior photography (pictures of the insides of homes for real estate and other purposes), and doing family shoots on occasion.
- High School Registration -- We've been helping both the girls prepare for registration so they can get into the classes they need for next year. They are both planning on taking early morning seminary so they can free up time to take an additional class during the school day. Of course, since we won't know until later if Adria will be playing Varsity soccer or if Rella will make one of the dance teams, we have to plan their core classes around all the possibilities. Decisions, decisions!
Hope you all have a great week!
Shane, Alicia, Adria, Rella, and Calder

No comments:
Post a Comment