Sunday, February 26, 2017

Shane&Alicia Update (02/26/2017)


Sent: 02/26/2017   From Alicia
 Subject: Westra Family Update 2/26/17


Hola Familia!

 We (or I) survived mid winter break (aka ski week)! The kids were out of school all week long, so we did a few more things than we normally do. Here's a wrap up of the week:

 Monday: Presidents' Day, so Shane had the day off from work. We slept in a little bit (yay!) and I was able to go to an earlier exercise class at the YMCA. It was a full class...there was a line to get in so the people who had waited the longest were able to get their equipment first (I made it in, if you were wondering.) I'm enjoying the BodyPump classes...they are a good workout! Adria and Rella had a birthday party to go to in the afternoon. It was Harry Potter themed. They did a lot of "potions" (slime, the coke and mentos experiment, etc). Adria had her mandolin lesson, then a FaceTime with her friend Lilly in Utah. Our neighbors had invited us over to dinner that evening, so Shane and I worked together to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies to share with them. These are our Egyptian friends. They made fattah (a dish of layered rice, chicken, and bread covered with a yogurt sauce), stuffed grape leaves, soup, and a salad. Everything was delicious and we all had a great time visiting.

 Tuesday: the girls watched Calder so I could go to cycling class. My visiting teachers came over. The girls have really been wanting to make slime, so while Rella was at dance class I went to Office Depot and picked up glue and glitter. I wanted to get some glitter glue, but they were all out. Then I went to a grocery store to pick up borax. Shane had a work dinner, so the rest of us ate early, then invited Alia and Nour over to make slime. If you haven't been introduced to the current craze of slime, count yourself lucky. It's an easy enough craft, but can be kind of messy. The kids had a great time, though! I had to laugh...the cashier at Office Depot commented that people have been buying a lot of glue. "Is there a project at the school?" I told him no...the kids are all out of school and they all want to make slime!

 Wednesday: Shane took the day off so we could do some things as a family. We went out to breakfast at the Sky Kitchen, which is a little diner located at the San Carlos airport. The San Carlos airport is a small airport for private planes, helicopters, and stuff like that. The Sky Kitchen has a bunch of windows looking out at the runway, so you can watch the planes take off and land as you eat. It was fun. After lunch we went home for a bit, then went and saw the Lego Batman movie. It was enjoyable. Calder thought some parts were scary. I don't think it's quite as good as the original Lego movie, but it was fun. Shane took Calder to his swimming lesson while I went to a parent meeting with our new speech therapist (Shamim). We went over his test results. Cognitively he is doing very well, which is always nice to hear. He does have a lot going on with his speech though, so there is no shortage of things to work on! He'll start his sessions next Monday. Shamim is really sharp. She also knows the ins and outs of the school system and who to call for private services in OT and Developmental Pediatrics. I have a feeling she will be a good resource. Her son is in the 5th grade at Redwood Shores with Rella, though they are in different classes, so it's nice to connect with another mom! Adria and I went to YW in the evening. It was a career panel put together by our YSA rep from the Stanford ward. She enlisted 4 of her friends to come and talk about their jobs, what their education was like, etc. There was a VP from an Investment Firm, a front end web developer/designer from Apple, a data analyst from Pinterest (who also happens to live in our ward now that she is married), and a video editor from FitBit. It was interesting to hear about their work...I almost wanted to go back to school afterwards! Hopefully the girls got as much out of it as the leaders did. We had invited another ward to join us, so there were several girls that I did not know.

Thursday: the BIG day...we took our new Toyota into the detailers to remove the stench. Shane and I went and dropped it off at 8 am, then I took Shane to work. I had a hair appointment at noon, then took Rella to dance. She and I went to pick up Shane from work, then Rella and I went to ukulele. Thursdays are always our busiest days. We watched the "Angry Birds" movie on Netflix as a family. It was okay. Sure glad we didn't have to buy it, though.

Friday: I took Shane into work. Calder had a well child visit scheduled, so I took him there and patted myself on the back that we were actually on time! It turned out we were ridiculously on time...I thought the appointment was at 9:30 when it was actually at 10:30! At least I had the day right. There would have been plenty of time to go home, but Calder wanted to play in the waiting room, so we just waited it out. They ended up calling us back on the early side (around 10), so it worked out overall. He had a good appointment and talked the doctor's ear off. Calder is super healthy...now if we can just get his speech and eye contact up to speed! In the afternoon, Adria went to a party at a friend's house and Rella invited a friend to go to the art center in San Carlos with us. It's a "Color Me Mine" type of place with ceramics to paint and glass mosaic projects. Rella and Charlotte each painted an animal. Calder chose a motorcycle bank. After we finished there, I dropped the two girls off at Charlotte's so they could play longer while I went to pick up Shane and the Toyota. We were pretty nervous...what if the ozone treatment hadn't worked or hadn't been enough? Shane dropped me off, then headed home with Calder. Marcos the detail guy showed me the process he had used on our car (he had another car that he was doing the same thing to in the shop). It will still be a few days before we know exactly how effective the treatment was, but for now it's looking (or smelling) good! I told Shane that the next time we buy a used car, I will just test drive enough to know which type I like, then leave the rest up to him! Hopefully that will be a ways down the road (pun totally intended). Adria watched the younger two kids while Shane and I went to Blue Line Pizza for our date night.

Saturday: started way too early with Adria and food poisoning at 4 am. She and I ended up hanging out on the couch and watching "Dr Strange" in between bouts. Shane and Calder got up around 7, so I got a little more sleep. I woke up just in time to take Rella to help at the Girl Scout cookie booth. It was more fun than I expected. There were a lot of people who said they had already bought their cookies, but there were also a good number of buyers as well. My favorite customers were the dad and little girl who came to pick out her first ever boxes of girl scout cookies (they totally reminded me of Derek and Ani) and the lady who had just flown in from Israel to visit her mother and sister. She said one of the items on her to-do list during the visit was to buy samoas and thin mints! Rella had a good time and it was a beautiful day for it! She and I stopped at the grocery store on the way home, then had lunch with Shane and Calder at home. Adria spent the whole day on the couch. She tried to eat a little later in the day, but regretted it soon after. Shane and I worked together all afternoon to make dinner for a family in our ward who has a new baby at their house. We made apple pie, chicken pot pie, and put together a salad. Rella helped me deliver the meal to the family and we got to see their new baby boy. This is number 5 for them. You don't see a lot of big families out here...2 or 3 kids is the norm, some families have 4, but that's usually where it tops out. There are a few families with 5 kids in our ward and one with 7 or 8 kids (one of the Polynesian families). I think there's a family in the stake with 9. Rella and I came home and the 4 eating people had dinner. Adria had sprite. We got everyone to bed early...even our girls, who are notorious for their "hobo bedtime" were in bed by nine! We liked that so much we did it again tonight!

Sunday: Shane had early meetings at the church, so he headed out before 7. The kids and I joined him at church for Sacrament meeting. It was a mission farewell. It reminded me of the "old" mission farewells where the family arranges the program and the whole family (or at least part of it) speaks. You remember those? I really prefer the new format. Adria is feeling significantly better today, but is still not all the way up to normal. She is really not looking forward to the coming week because Rella is going to Outdoor Ed and Adria says she will be so bored! I think she is a little jealous, too. She loved Outdoor Ed last year. Rella is feeling nervous, but got all packed (with Adria's help) and is ready for tomorrow. Adria had a fun time video chatting with Jaiden and Janelle (and the other Jensens). We love and miss all our cousins.

I've been making a sample of phrases that Calder says for Shamim to include in her assessment report. here are some of our favorites (translated by me for ease and convenience):

"The point was, their tails were all together, that's why they're upside down."
"My ears is good listeners."
"The grown ups are bigger and have sharp teeth, so they can't jump as high as the babies."
"Don't break any Adria's muscles!"
"When I go from a dark place to a light place, I sneeze!"
"I'm stronger than you, for sure."

He also says things like "Yes indeed" and "Of course". We're all pretty enamored with his increasing vocabulary, so he gets no shortage of attention around here.

Love you all! Have a great week!

Shane, Alicia, Adria the puker, Rella the camper, and Calder (of course!)

P.S. This is the last week to order Girl Scout cookies from Rella. No pressure at all...but here is the link, just in case:



No comments:

Post a Comment