Sunday, April 2, 2017

Jensen Update 4-2-2017

I hope you all enjoyed conference this weekend!! Here is a funny from Jenna that I forgot to include last week: We were hurrying to get ready for the General Women's meeting and I was answering a text by talking into it like much of our "older" generation does. I finished my text and then closed with "period." Then Jenna exclaimed, "If you don't get off your phone and come do my hair, then we won't be going at all!! PERIOD!!!" 

Monday 27: I brought Jaiden to the Orthodontist right after school to get spacers put in for braces. We hurried home and I did her hair and make-up for her dance pictures. It was nice to have a free evening tonight.

Tuesday 28: I did my usual interpreting with an extra teacher meeting in between classes. Jenna had her dance pictures today and so I did Jenna's hair and make-up and ran Josh over to his first soccer practice. Then I brought Jenna to dance and helped her change into her costume for her photos. I then ran back to pick up Josh after his practice and went back to Jenna's dance studio to bring her home. So it was a lot of running around tonight. Meanwhile Rick covered for me at our class.

I hadn't been able to go walking earlier today and so Rick and I went for a walk after dinner. It was pretty windy. I was exhausted from the busy day and sequestered myself in my room for an episode of "Call the Midwife." I really like that Netflix series, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids (or husbands)!! 

Wednesday 29: We heard someone leave this morning around 5:30 a.m. Apparently Jared had gone to the temple with the Priests -- but didn't tell us. He barely made it back in time for school. Presidency meeting was this morning. I will really miss the regular camaraderie with these ladies when we are released (probably around this October since that marks our three year mark).

Jaiden was thrilled to go bowling tonight with the Beehives. Janelle enjoyed the temple visitor's center with the Miamaids. Josh had Webelos and then his scout leader finished fixing his bike. That was sure nice of him!! Rick had switched out the tires and a couple of other things last Saturday but didn't know how to fix the gears.

Thursday 30: I interpreted for a medical appointment this morning. The appointment itself wasn't difficult, but the client was difficult to understand, which made it challenging. I then went straight to my classes at DSU. I had packed a lunch but accidentally left it at home! The class that Rick and I interpret together was just showing movie clips and so I left early (he stayed) because I had to get Josh ready for his first soccer game and Jaiden's hair and make-up done for her Jazz dance pictures. I brought Jaiden to dance and Rick went late to Josh's game and brought him home after. It was freezing!

Rick brought Jenna to her soccer game and I went to my Stake Primary Training. Jenna was nervous because she had missed her first soccer practice (we never got the text) and she has never really played soccer before, but Rick said that she did great! Both kids won their games. I am glad that Clarissa is on her team -- it will really help to be able to have someone to carpool with. Caroline Williams is playing, but is on a different team. Too bad she and Jenna are not on the same team!

Friday 31: Jaiden was picked up at 6:30 a.m. for the Regional Science Fair in SUU (not to be confused with the Science Olympiad that she went to last Saturday). This was for the winners of the Science Fair that was held a month or so ago. Jaiden and Emily didn't win anything at this one either, but it sounds like they had a fun time and enjoyed their day.

I brought Josh to Lava Ridge (the Intermediate school where he will go next year) after school for the Honor's Placement Test. This test determines which Honor's classes the kids will get into (if any). There were probably a couple hundred kids there waiting in line for the doors to open to take the test. When I picked up Josh he got in the car and started crying. He said that he didn't feel good about the test and probably won't get into any honor's classes. I told him that I really don't care whether he gets in or not -- I just wanted him to try his best. I bet he did better than he thought he did, though. I would be surprised if he doesn't get into at least one of the honor's classes and he can always take honor's classes the next year with a teacher's signature. 

Speaking of tests -- Jared got his ACT test back and was really disappointed with the results. He got a 23 composite score. He needs to get at least a 26 composite in order to get the Regent's scholarship (worth $6000.00) and will also need a higher score in order to get a full tuition scholarship at most Utah schools. He has a 3.9 GPA, so with a 23 ACT he would qualify for a half tuition scholarship at DSU, but with a 26 or higher he would qualify for a full tuition scholarship. He doesn't really want to go to DSU, but I was just using their online scholarship formula to figure out numbers. With current tuition costs from DSU and adding in the Regents, just three points makes a difference of almost $12,000! 

We told him not to worry too much -- this was his first time and he can always take it again. He said, "Why can't I be brilliant like my older siblings?" I said, "I hear ya -- I felt the same way following Scott and Chris!" I started researching ACT prep classes -- some of them are VERY expensive!! I am really surprised that the high schools don't offer some kind of ACT prep class before or after school -- I remember that Janika went to one while she was at Tuacahn.

There are plenty of resources online, but while Jase was motivated to spend hours of his own time studying for the ACT, I don't think Jared would be (if studying for his driver's test is any indication) and so I would rather have one where he actually goes to a class, than one he does on his own. There is one at BYU for a week in June ($295.00) -- but it happens to be the same week he is going to EFY, so that won't work. The only other class I can find during the summer is an online class for seven weeks, so I am considering that one ($150.00) or one in the fall that is an actual class two nights a week (for four weeks) at DSU for $95.00. If you know of any good ACT prep options, please let me know!!

Jared had a track meet tonight at Hurricane and got first in his heat, but it wasn't his fastest time and he didn't make the finals, and so it was a bit of a discouraging day for him. Jenna had a soccer practice and I brought her and Clarissa and then went for an hour long walk while they were practicing.

Saturday 1: All of our kids must have forgotten it was April Fool's day, because no one did any tricks (which I am okay with!) We really enjoyed Conference and the lovely Spring temperatures. We missed Jared's track meet because it was in Hurricane and we wanted to watch conference. He did better today and won medals in both of his relays -- third place in the 4X400 (two seconds away from qualifying for state) and second place in the 4X100. He also beat his time and was happy about that.

Jared had been asked by a girl from Dixie High School to their date dance today called "El-Cheapo." It was a fifties-style dance. A group of girls from Dixie asked a group of guys from Snow Canyon and so Jared was with his friends. The group went to watch Jared run and then later they went to Diamond Valley Elementary to play games and then went out to eat at Mongolian BBQ. Rick wasn't happy when he learned that the dance was on Conference weekend (I don't know why they did that -- this IS Utah, after all!) and that Jared wouldn't be able to go with him to Priesthood Session. Luckily Scott called Rick and said he was in town and so Rick went with Scott and Kemery's boyfriend to our church for Priesthood Session.

Sunday 2: It was SO nice to sleep in and relax today!! All of the session of conference were SO GOOD!! Loved it! They announced the new Area Seventies yesterday and one of them is Jase's current mission president! He is from Mexico and will be returning to Mexico to be the Area Seventy there. He and his wife just learned English while serving as mission president! They are younger than Rick and I and still have kids at home with them (I didn't realize this -- Rick was just telling me that today).

Rick made a big breakfast with our traditional "Conference Crepes" this morning and a yummy chicken salad for lunch. He is trying out a diet called Whole-30, but went off it this weekend. We had roast and potatoes and carrots for dinner. So it was definitely a high calorie day!! Rick and I went for a walk after conference, but it was a little TOO hot at that time!

The kids have really enjoyed our new neighbors who recently built right by us. Their three boys are over here all of the time and love playing with Josh and Jenna. Somehow we ended up with a bunch of friends over today even though we don't normally allow friends over on Sunday. We were just glad to get the younger noisy kids out of our hair so that we could listen to conference!!

I added some pictures to the blog if you would like to check them out: wendyjensen.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment