Monday, September 18, 2017

Jensen Journal & Update (9/18/2017)


Jensen Update 9-18-2017

Thanks for updates, everyone!

Chris, that was a funny picture of Aaron's head with someone on the beach where it looked like the body was off center from the head!

Mom, I didn't know that about Melanie Mumford's father! So sad! But what a blessing that she was sick that day and was spared! It was Mark Probert's father who was killed in a small plane accident (I didn't know it was the same one). Yes, things can sure change quickly!

Jen -- that is too bad about Grayson's Menier's attacks! That is very worrisome, especially when you never know when they will happen! Hope he enjoyed this latest trip. It was fun to read Kadan's letter too. Janika is doing well at USU. She has a job but is looking for an additional one. She just received a calling yesterday -- to teach gospel principles. She had been wanting a calling and is excited about it. She went on a few dates this past weekend. 


Jase just sent each family member a really nice hand-written letter in the mail. I am good with sending e-mails, but I am not good about sending letters in the mail!

Here is my weekly journal:

Monday 11: This afternoon I went with Jared to his CCR (College Career Readiness). I figured I would already know all of the information, but I actually learned a few things -- like how we should register Jared for NCAA if he wants to run track in college. He should get his scores from his last ACT test this week.

Tuesday 12: I got the kids off to school and then cleaned out the pool and went swimming before interpreting. After school I brought Jaiden to the Orthodontist. It took an hour and we barely made it back in time to pick up Jenna from Tumbling. I then met Rick at DSU to interpret a class tonight. Rick and the kids had caroler practice. We still need more carolers!

Wednesday 13: Last week I started scripture reading with the kids at 6:30 every morning. Rick is teaching early morning seminary this semester and so we have to do it without him. This morning I walked Josh to the bus stop then did my two mile loop. I really enjoyed interpreting my class today. I love interpreting higher education.

This afternoon when I went to pick up the kids from school my car wouldn't start. Rick jumped my car and I went to Dixie Battery. They said that my battery was no good, but that it was still under warranty and so I would get it replaced for free. Good news! The warranty was 18 months and my battery (also purchased at this place) was only 17 months old. I was grateful for that and also grateful that it happened at home so that Rick was home to help me. Thankfully it was also on a day where I actually had time to get it fixed.

Jared, Janelle, and Jaiden went to young mens/womens. Rick and I went to Tuacahn to preview Shrek since we are interpreting for it in October. It was years since I had seen the animated movie of Shrek and I remember that I didn't particularly like it (too crude), but the musical was actually really fun (still has the flatulence and burping, put in a song where Shrek and Fiona are trying to out-do each other). But it was a fun show with a lot of great music in it. We are going to bring the kids with us when we interpret it.

Thursday 12: We woke up to a huge thunderstorm! It let up and I decided to go for a walk only to get caught in the middle of another down pore on the way home. I came home absolutely drenched!

I interpreted my class and then went to the Pizza Factory to meet to meet my visiting teaching ladies. There were four of us. Two of the ladies really opened up and shared some problems that they were experiencing in their families. We cried together and offered support. I really have a testimony of visiting teaching!

We have a new family who moved in down the street and I called the mom to see if I could come over and meet/visit with them. They are not members of the church. They have six kids -- ages 21 to 8, just like our family. They spent the last two years home-schooling their kids and living in an RV traveling all over the United States. I can't imagine having that many people in such a small space! What an adventure though!

They decided it was time to settle down and filled out some on-line questionnaire of where would be the best place to live according to their family needs and interests -- and the answer was St. George, Utah! They had never been to Utah before and really had no experience with the church whatsoever. They moved here and absolutely love it!

They said that they have had more people knock on their door to meet them in the short time they have lived in Utah than in all of the 14 years before that put together! They said, "We are not used to people showing this much interest in our family. It is nice, but a little overwhelming!" I can imagine -- especially after moving from place to place and not really staying long enough to make a lot of connections. Anyway, our neighbor had invited them to church a couple of weeks ago and they all came. They didn't have any church clothes and he said that was okay, and so they came in shorts, jeans, and t-shirts. The sister missionaries started teaching them and are of course ecstatic to be teaching an entire family who are receptive to the gospel. Now the boy is going to cub scouts, the girls are going to Young Women's, and the youngest girl Jenna's age is going to be in the primary program!

I visited with them for about an hour. I asked if they had ever seen or visited with missionaries before coming to Utah. She said only one time in Missouri (I think). Their house was clear down at the end of a long path and one time these boys came. She said, "they were SO young, they couldn't have been more than 16 or 17 years old." "18 or 19" the husband corrected. She was in the middle of something and basically told them she didn't have time. She said that they made the mistake of asking if there was anything they could do for her. Her landlord was there and said, "I need some help -- hop in my truck and I will take you to bale some hay for me." And off they went! She laughed and said, "Our landlord was all about free labor!"

Anyway, I don't know if they will end up joining the church or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them do. The dad said that he was constantly being dragged to different churches by his grandparents and he wouldn't do that to his kids. But if they wanted to go then that was great, but he wouldn't force them. I told them about primary and invited the two primary age kids to watch the program, or be in it, or whatever they felt comfortable with. The 8 year old wants to and is really excited about it. The 10 year old boy not so much. But he seemed to enjoy primary the one time that they came. The kids were all there in the room during the discussion and were bright and outgoing and fully participating. It was great!

Friday 15: I interpreted and then picked up some snacks for Josh's scout camp-out. He wasn't all that excited about the camp-out, but the promise of snacks helped increase his interest. I took the girls to the church to practice the song that they are singing in church on Sunday. Rick left straight from work to go to Las Vegas to interpret. He came back home about midnight.

Saturday 16: Rick, Janelle, Jenna, and I went to Tristan Raffee's baptism. His parents are deaf. We remember being there for Tim's (Tristan's dad) baptism several years ago (convert baptism) and the sealing of Tim and July. I ended up interpreting for the baptism.

This afternoon we all (except for Jared and Josh) went to Brigham's Playhouse to see "Thoroughly Modern Millie." I had earned two family passes by interpreting for another play there. They did a great job. It was a fun show! We are going to go see "Forever Plaid" on their opening night on Thanksgiving. Should be fun! I have never seen it before.

Tonight I went to my friend's Blessingway. If you don't know what that is, then you are not alone. I had never heard of it either. It is sort of like a baby shower, except you don't bring any gifts (this is her fourth baby). Basically it is a get-together of friends to express gratitude for the guest of honor and offer support and friendship as she prepares to have another baby. I had a really nice time! 

Sunday 17: This morning we skyped Janika while I curled Jaiden and Janelle's hair. They did a great job on their musical number! We had our primary program practice. It was a little chaotic, but went okay -- we had a lot of kids missing which made it difficult. The non-member family came to church and I wondered how they were handling everything. Their daughter, Caiden, came to the primary program practice. I am looking forward to the program next week (and getting it over with)!


Jaiden has been having problems with an in-grown toenail. I am debating whether to bring her in for the in-grown toe-nail procedure like Jase and Janika had before their missions. She is just so busy with dance and tumbling and so forth. She is not going to want to take a day or two off!


Have a great week!
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment