West Coast Westra Update -- Sun, Sep 10, 2017, 10:52 PM
We didn't get an update out last week, so here are some quick highlights of what went on over the last couple of weeks.
- School: We're finally settling into the schedule for school. Adri and Rella actually had a lot of anxieties the first week or two; but they are both doing better (thank goodness -- we were getting worried!).
- New Friends in East Bay: Alicia has a friend from her Blue Lily Photography group that moved here (with her family) from Virginia. They live in a townhouse in Dublin (no, not Ireland -- it's a town across the bay from us). We went over to their house for "Utah Scones" (fry bread or Navajo Tacos anywhere else) and swimming. Swimming felt nice -- the thermometer read 117 degrees on the drive over there! The girls got along really well with their kids.
- Heat Wave: The last few days were really hot -- well over 105-110+ depending on the area, setting heat records (hottest day in San Francisco ever recorded), so we figured we'd make dinner and invite some ward friends over who don't have AC. It was fun to visit with them.
- Broken Toe: On Labor Day, I played soccer in the morning with ward friends, and took Adri and Rella. Rella played a bit, but then opted for the playground. Adria played the whole game and did well. That afternoon we went to the beach with a bunch of ward families, and boogie boarded, played in the sand, and played football. Adria really enjoyed boogie boarding, Rella did well too. Unfortunately I broke my pinky toe playing football, and was quite out of commission after that. I've been hobbling around since, and wearing sandals everywhere (work, church, etc.) with my pinky toe wrapped up with the next toe up.
- Temple Babysitting: Every 2nd Saturday is Ward Temple day, and once a quarter the Ward arranges babysitting (there is a triple-stake center in the same complex as the temple, and you can book a room for babysitting). Yesterday it was the EQ in charge, so Alicia and I volunteered to help babysit along with another couple while the parents could do a session, baptisms, sealings or initiatories. I brought along family names for people to do, and got a lot done! The girls were really great helpers -- we had 13 kids total, many in diapers. I was able to sneak in and do just one name for initiatories near the end.
- New Beehive: One of Adria and Rella's friends (we're friends with the whole family) just turned 12 yesterday, so Leashee and the girls decorated their door Friday night saying "Welcome to the Hive". They invited us over last night for swimming, cake, and ice cream; but we left before the host had his enthusiasm ruined from BYU's loss to Utah.
- New Calling: Yesterday I got a call from the Stake Exec Secretary, asking if I could meet with the Stake President today. Then at church our EQ President was called to be the new Stake YM Pres and on the High Council (they double up a lot of callings like that), and then after church I was called to be the new EQ President. I've been in countless EQ Presidencies, but never the president, so hopefully it will be a good experience. I'll need to figure out my counselors.
- Beach Photos: Later this afternoon we went to a beach we hadn't been to before so Alicia could check it out as a potential photo shoot location. Our kids always love the beach, and got more sandy and more wet than we anticipated.
Have a great week!
Shane, Leashee, Adria, Rella, and Calder
No comments:
Post a Comment