Wednesday, March 18, 2020

EARTHQUAKE!

March 18. From Mom: 
I was awake in bed when the earthquake hit. The 4 of us here Wendy, Josh, LaMar was in the computer room, and I) all ran out into the hall.  Josh was quite excited to have experienced an earthquake!

Scott called. He said to check your water heaters for cracks or problems, so Dad did. I just felt the last aftershock, while on the main floor--TV said it was a 4. The people upstairs felt the others, but I didn't on the main floor.

Jeni was closest (probably Landon actually, if they were still home).  Jen had things fall off the wall and a container of flour high in her pantry fell and spilled. The earthquake registered 5.7, with several aftershocks, up to 4. Felt in Wyoming and Cache Valley. I don't know if Janika felt it in Logan or not.

We had two things on the entertainment center fall over, but that's all we noticed so far.

Our home teacher just called to see if we were all right. It is nice that the church has the system of checks in place. A Bishopric counselor's wife texted a few days ago to see if we needed anything and my VT texted a couple days ago also to see if she could do anything for us.

The news just now mentioned 12,000 people without power, but I guess Jen still has power. Epicenter in Magna and by Great Salt Lake.

McKenna felt it in American Fork area. Derek texted.
We haven't heard if Chris and Shane's family felt it.

Wendy and Josh are leaving this morning to go back to St. George. They will pick up their 3 girls at Alicia's, where they have been for two nights to spend time with cousins.

I've been noticing for awhile now how the Church has been moving towards everything being centered in the home: The "Come Follow Me" program of studying the gospel at home with your family, the stressing of seeking "Personal" Revelation, and of course the "Preparedness" programs of food, water, sanitation, etc. And the Ministering program of caring for others and checking up on and helping those in need, not just your HT and VT families.

The ward delivered the sanitation buckets and tops a couple days ago that we ordered for us and our 6 kids. They haven't delivered the 2 water storage containers yet. I hope they have them purchased because now there will be a run on them!

Chris and Shane's family: Let us know if you felt the earthquake.
Shane wrote: I was up already, and felt the earthquake. The shower door was rattling and a few things on the bathroom counter were shaking. Alicia was dozing, and heard the bedroom door rattling, thought it was Calder coming in but then he didn't. So we looked at each other and said "was that an earthquake?" Tons of coworkers were posting stuff on Slack, confirming it was indeed an earthquake. Calder and the girls all slept through it. My work is recommending that everybody work from home, although I've been to the office a bit (not many people there, and easier to concentrate). Overall we're doing fine, the kids start "remote school" today. It's been fun to have the Jensen girls over!
Landon wrote: The Blackham’s in West Jordan would be closest to the epicenter. Herriman is far enough south from Manga that Sol (she is at home) felt the initial quake, but none of the aftershocks (that she is aware of). It has impacted our work more than I expected it would. We had a bunch of deliveries going to commercial jobs downtown and we aren’t clear to enter the buildings until every inch has been cleared!
Chris wrote: I definitely felt it. I was working in my office and I thought Kim was just jumping up a storm! Then I realized this was more than somebody exercising, items on my office shelves were rattling.  Cayson slept through it and Kim did not feel it at all, though she was awake. Camden woke up. First one I have consciously felt, though I have slept through a few. 
Jen wrote:  I think it is really just this morning's earthquake that affects Landon's job - not the virus quarantine.  Gray had gone into work. Their office has converted to work at home (they bought several laptops for those who didn't already have them) and finalized it yesterday. BUT ... with everyone else gone, Gray was still going in. He loves an empty office ;) He has come home though, to check on water/gas and just be around in case.  Callahan and Keaton had left to work (Keaton is working with them again now that Nike shut down and he was out of school - he didn't want to be sitting home all day!) and were on the road. Cal said the radio went fuzzy then went out, but that they didn't really feel it much on the road - although he did check in immediately afterward.  Cooper and Colton had been sleeping - and it woke them both. Our poor kitties are under Cooper's bed and still haven't come out.  
I had a couple things fall in the pantry, the clock fell off the kitchen wall, the heart decor in the bathroom, and a few others things here and there. I felt the 4.2 aftershock, and have been aware of several others ... although those have been similar sounds to a windy day (window panes rattling) or having an army helicopter fly over (which happens with some regularity as we are by an army base out here).  Someone posted a ring cam footage of their garage - and it was probably the camera moving more than anything else, but it caught the shake pretty well! Pictures from Magna are starting to come in, and looks like some people there will be having a bit of cleanup.

I'm sure parents are glad to have their kids safe at home with them, not at school - and having so many people already working from home.  Colton is starting his first day of online learning - just another day for the Cooperman.

No comments:

Post a Comment