LaMar just found Alicia's letter in our spam file! We love hearing what you are doing. Too bad Shane had a bad cold while having to travel to Sacramento. Alicia, we are proud of your successful ski times. A CD set I was listening to said to advance and enhance your life, SEEK DISCOMFORT! I am not good at doing that, but Alicia is!
Sandy's wedding last Sat. night was nice. Sweet Kim offered and did all the crepes for refreshments and a myriad of toppings--very tasty! When Kim and Chris were manning the crepe area, a friend of Sandy's from the ward or somewhere, was helping also and asked Kim how she knew the bride and groom. Kim replied, "Well, Christopher here is Casandra's first husband, and I am his 2nd wife, Kim. The lady's jaw dropped and she was so amazed that they would be there doing that! Kudos to Chris and Kim!
Merrill and Lorrie were going to attend, but then Anderson's wife and toddler son were flying in from Japan, now that she has her green card, so they were having a family get-together at Katie's. It is good they got to the U.S. because last night on the news, they mentioned Trump was maybe going to stop incoming flights from some countries (mentioned maybe Japan) because of the C. Virus. So Merrill & Lorrie drove to our house to drop off a gift for us to take to the wedding. That was so nice of them. They had done that for Ellen's shower also, when Lorrie wasn't able to attend because they would be in St. George. Lorrie has always been so thoughtful and supportive.
Sandy met Wayne when she hired him to work on her sprinkler system a couple times.
We had a fun dinner out with D & D's family last week!
Sun. evening I got a text from Shane asking if they could drive up to our house for a visit---a suggestion of Adria's. I texted, "Well, we are just over at Chris's (a mile and a half from Shane's) and just finished a nice dinner, so we can save you a trip and stop by and visit you! So that was nice to see them also!
Last night I went to our ward book club for the 1st time. I have lots of casual friends, but not any real close friends like Joen Humphreys before she moved. Friends close enough for me to call and ask for a ride, etc. So I am trying to make that happen more (like Alicia's good example). It was at Mary Egan's house and she reviewed "The Elephant Whisperer." I didn't think it sounded too interesting, but I enjoyed it when I listened to it on the Libby Library App.
I am also really enjoying the Deseret Book Bookshelf Plus App subscription. I am on book 5 in a 10-book series called "the Saint Squad). I like a TV show called Seal Team, and it is similar to that. So I have a book going on each App on my iphone and 2 ipads. Then we have a different CD set going in the kitchen and another one in the car.
I also started going to a Religion class a few months ago with some friends, mainly to make more close friends.
Friday night we had Monsons and Smiths over for dinner and played our own version of Pictionary, with everyone trying to guess the word.
Conner is coming to work for us today--hope he can fix the fireplace noise that is so loud after we turn it off. Chris is coming tomorrow.
Thurs. I have a Stake R.S. Birthday Dinner and speaker.
Well, that's what we're doing.............. Write and tell us what you are doing:-)! Like Chris, Alicia, and Jeni did! Jase & Ellen's wedding will be here soon! Love, Mom
Westra update Mon. March 16, 2020
Chris's boys are with him and starting school today. Maybe they will get to stay with him because they probably couldn't do their school classes at Sandy's.
Alicia's kids start school today also. Wendy and Josh just left to get the girls and go home.
I'm going to rest most of the day:-) after 5 days of company!
I see our Smiths are hiring IMMEDIATELY and the newspaper said Amazon wanted to hire 100,000, I think it was, and temporarily paying $2 more above the $15 per hour. Do we have a fulfillment center here, I think? I imagine they will need drivers. That's nice Keaton could work for
awhile with Cal.
Hi Family, Jase and Ellen's temple sealing was nice---Sealing Room 3. The original 4 scheduled marriages for Sat. ballooned to 21, with couples moving things up before the closures, etc.! A little windy and chilly for the pictures, but Alicia did a good job.
Cousin Dale's daughter who was to be married on the 26th, hurried and moved theirs up to last Fri. in the Bountiful temple, with just their parents and siblings.
The reception was lovely and decorated nicely. They had a big oval wooden plaque with Jase and Ellen's name and then guests signed on the rest of it with gold markers. I hadn't seen that idea before.
They had a pizza buffet (from The Pie), with bread sticks and salad. Then Lemonade and many bottles of flavor that you could squirt into your lemonade. The dance was very successful, with all the Young Adults doing fancy fun stuff---and Jase put on quite the show! I could picture Keaton and Jared doing that also!
Rick did a nice Sacrament meeting for us yesterday morning, giving a lesson he had prepared for his Institute class. We sang an opening song and Sac. song and had the Sacrament. Then Rick left after lunch. They don't know what to do about the St. George reception for the newlyweds.
Adria's patriarchal blessing was postponed from yesterday afternoon because the patriarch was sick, so that's too bad. Adria and Shane and Alicia had been fasting for it, so they really enjoyed dinner here, when they came to bring their girls for a sleepover. And Shane and Alicia were more experienced with cooking pork tenderloin and did great flavorings for it. I had only prepared it once. I knew it cooked in about 20 min., so suggested they take it over when they got here! It turned out delicious.
The girls watched "Love, Kennedy" last night while we adults played speed rummi kub. It is a true story of a teen girl here in Salt Lake. Sad, but good. And shows the caring and kindness of high school teens. A man at the temple Sat. gave it to Janelle, along with a B. of M.
Wendy and LaMar just took the kids to play tennis---our net isn't up, so they were going to try Cottonwood High. Wendy and I did an exercise swim this morning. The girls went for a morning run.
Wendy and the 4 kids will leave Wed.
Alicia's report on her trip to Macey's Groc. story this morning: Definitely more crowded than usual, but she was able to get most of what she wanted. Limit on flour, sugar, meat, except chicken, milk, eggs, TP, paper towels, brown sugar, bread and bagels. No bananas, no rice. Love, Mom/Grandma
From Jen: We still had Zumba this morning. My Monday class checked with the bishop to see if it was ok (as it's held in a church building) and he said yes. We are a small group, just 5-8 ladies, and Zumba is non-contact (unlike basketball or even regular gyms with equipment). We were totally spread out and safe and still got our exercise in. Most of the other Zumbas have canceled. I can always do it on my own ... good practice, but will I?
I stopped at the WJ Maceys after. I've heard that tylenol (acetaminophen) is recommended over Ibuprofen for the actual Covid-19 (if you end up getting it), that the anti-inflammatory aspect of Ibuprofen isn't a good combo with the virus. We've been more of an ibuprofen family, and I do have one big bottle of 500 left of it. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find pain/fever meds (it's out online) but was able to find some fine. No flour at our Maceys (I have over 25 pounds), but was able to pick up milk, and they had bananas and produce was stocked fine (Saturday, our Reams produce was empty!). No bread still ... I have some grandma sycamore's white, but Cal likes wheat bread. I can always make bread if needed too. No TP or paper towels that I could see, but we were pretty well stocked prior to all this.
One of my high school friends had a child's wedding reception scheduled for Tuesday ... they just canceled (not sure if they were one to quickly squeeze in the actual wedding on Saturday)Keaton's work (Nike) just closed all the stores ... they are still paying base pay. He was just working part-time with school. It's technically his spring break this week, and then they are giving the teachers a few days to try and transition to online learning (all his classes were in person) ... so he was faced with a couple weeks of NOTHING. But, he contacted Cal's employer (Keaton worked for them for a while before Spring semester) and they are happy to have him back for a couple weeks. So he's actually working full time and staying busy. Cal was in a car accident, in the work van. Pretty much the same story as Keaton's accident. Lady made a left hand turn into him as he was going straight. The side of the van is pretty banged up, but it's still drivable. The company has an extra van, but are waiting to switch him out until they have a garage ready for repairs.Gray's company bought a bunch of laptops in preparation for moving people to work from home.
March 18, 2020
Wendy mentioned that about a lot of husbands and kids and working moms being home during the earthquake---a blessing.Chris's boys are with him and starting school today. Maybe they will get to stay with him because they probably couldn't do their school classes at Sandy's.
Alicia's kids start school today also. Wendy and Josh just left to get the girls and go home.
I'm going to rest most of the day:-) after 5 days of company!
I see our Smiths are hiring IMMEDIATELY and the newspaper said Amazon wanted to hire 100,000, I think it was, and temporarily paying $2 more above the $15 per hour. Do we have a fulfillment center here, I think? I imagine they will need drivers. That's nice Keaton could work for
awhile with Cal.
I was reading up on Smith's Delivery--first 3 free, then $10 delivery. $5 to pickup at store--they shop for you and put in car. Maybe worth investigating. They said they would open 1 hr. early on Mon., Wed., and Fri. just for Senior Citizens that don't want to be exposed to crowds, but I don't know what time that opening hour is. I would like to go with Dad to choose stuff, but don't want to get up early or dress before my swim.
So if any of you can buy me a bunch of cans while buying groceries for your family (until a clerk gives you the evil-eye!), I would appreciate it. You can just keep them at your house out in your garage or out of your way until we see one of you or have enough groc. for us, to warrant Dad making a trip to pick it up. I wouldn't mind a case or two of them! The big approx. 30 oz. cans are nice and the next size down (15 oz.) are fine. Just tell me what I owe and I will Venmo the money.
I could use one or 2 bottles of Miracle Whip LIGHT. Other staples in demand is bleach --if you see them, grab a couple. Gray couldn't find any for them. We had an extra to give them. It's something we can always use more of, for my pool bleach.Derek just texted that the railing guy was running behind and will come Mon. I skipped my swim, expecting him, but we went for a nice walk between conferences.
Dad went out to mow the lawn and the lawn mower wouldn't start! He charged the batteries.
From Jen: I picked up prescriptions for Gray and Coop yesterday (originally the doctor's office said Gray had to come in, as it's been a year, but then rules changed and they authorized a 30-day refill anyway). Walmart is still doing their grocery pickup, but Maceys put their program on hold. The Smiths Senior hours are 7-8 am Mon/Wed/Fri. I saw that about both Smiths and Amazon hiring. I think there is a warehouse here somewhere. Gray filled up the cars with gas (I'd actually filled mine up yesterday) and stopped at CalRanch - he said it's CRAZY there - people buying gas cans, propane and water containers. A lot of the schools are checking out Chromebooks to kids who don't have a dedicated computer at home. And I heard Comcast is providing internet for $10/no contract. Many services are offering things up for free to help people (digital learning things, virtual museum tours, digital books, etc). Colton's ortho appointment for next week was just canceled (dentist just open for emergencies).
March 22, 2020
Sun., March 22, 2020
Hi Family, Jase and Ellen made it safely back to Salt Lake last night at 7 p.m., very tired, after several cancelled flights and many phone calls, etc. They were in Mexico for their honeymoon. They said the resort was about half empty. They stopped by our house to pick up some things that Wendy had left. Then they were going to stay at a hotel in South Jordan, so as to not be by family. Ellen's grandparents live with her parents, so they didn't want to stay there or here. We visited with them a bit, outside, staying 6 feet away.
Shane and Alicia and Calder came yesterday morning to borrow the truck for awhile. Shane wanted to get lumber, etc. to build shelves in his garage. Home Depot is still open for now, with shortened hours.
Everyone in the family, please keep us all updated on your families and how everyone is doing. I know some of the grandkids jobs have ended for now---retail jobs and the library, and I imagine the school for autistic children where Alyssa teaches. Janelle is still working at Papa Murphy's, as it is take-out. Loss of jobs isn't too hard on the unmarried grandkids, but is more stressful for the young marrieds.
Special prayers for everyone--especially our family working in medical locations, with greater exposure to the Virus: Kellen, in the ER of IMC; Boris in the ICU in Utah County; Kylie working for a family care doctor; and Kim, working in a clinic. Hope I didn't forget to mention anyone.
When things happen relatively quickly with this virus, and the earthquake, which could have been much worse, it brings home the importance of being prepared in every way.
And also shows us the importance of having a several-month Emergency Fund in accessible cash for those who lose their jobs, etc. These things make all the difference between feeling peace and having constant worry and stress.
So hopefully we will all get better prepared for future calamities. Our ward RS is making/sewing face masks if anyone wants patterns and instructions, I can forward them. We have 12 doctors in our ward, and they are afraid of running out in hospitals, etc.
Little Noelle, age 4, had her Daddy's phone and gave us a call this morning without him knowing about it:-)!
Have a good Sabbath and keep all the family posted as to how and what you are doing! We are doing fine---running out of fresh fruit, but have lots of food storage. I tried to order gluten-free flour from Amazon, but they were out. One brand, cup 4 cup, raised their price to $110 for a 3-lb. bag! Scott, if you see any at Costco or Harmons, etc, pick us up a few bags.
love, Mom/Grandma
From Wendy ~ Rick had just bought a Pamela's GF bread mix at the store and made us some gluten-free bread yesterday. It was delicious! So he tried to order some more from Amazon but they were out. Rick still has meetings today, online over zoom. He had a high council meeting this morning and is currently in a ward council meeting. Lots of changes happening with our missionaries. Jenna is preparing the Come Follow Me lesson. It looks like a beautiful day today so I'm hoping we can go to the park later this afternoon! We are grateful for the safe return of Jase and Ellen. I can't wait to hear all about their trip! They will be returning to St George today. Jase said they shortened his hours since they will only have the drive through open at Deseret First Credit Union. We haven't heard yet about Ellen's job.
From Jen ~ We still had Zumba Monday and Tuesday - those are small classes, under 10 anyway, and we really don't need to touch at all. My Wed/Thurs/Fri class canceled (Thursday 3/12 was the last day there) but they've been trying some online classes. I know enough I COULD just practice for an hour on my own ... but I'm not super motivated. We have our home gym too, so I have no excuses, but haven't really been getting my steps in. I've still been getting 30min of exercise, but that's low for me. Keaton had almost 36 in steps yesterday. He's struggling with the social ... he still went to play basketball Saturday morning (9 people) and in the evening (10 people) and helped a friend move home from college. He's had a couple friends over one at a time in the gym (there's a story there I'll come back to).
With my Zumba Mon/Tues I hit the stores - Maceys on Monday and Smiths on Tuesday. Picked up some prescriptions (just 30 days - wish they had authorized 90 day ones) and restocked some staples. Hadn't been able to find bread at Maceys, but got milk and eggs. No eggs at Smiths, but they had bread. Other than an original run (I'd been out the Saturday before, and Reams produce was GONE ... all of it!) produce has been restocked, although a few things have been a little hit and miss. As of Wed - I haven't left the house (well, the yard, I've been out to grab the mail and empty the garbage and such). Not so much that I'm such a good girl with the social distancing or being afraid to go out ... I AM just a homebody. If it's not Zumba or kid pickup, hitting a store while I'm already out - I don't go out much. Not sure if Grayson is antsy or just picking up the slack, but he's been shopping several times and has lists of things to look for. I had happened to buy a 1+ pound box of gluten-free flour a bit ago. I'll add that to Gray's "look for" list.
Our poor Oreo kitty was so freaked out by the earthquake. He stayed under Cooper's bed for 15+ hours. I pushed some food and water to him, but it was almost 11:00 in the evening before he came out. He still hid some the next day too, but now is back to normal. Joy seemed fine, other than hiding under the bed for a bit during the earthquake and the bigger aftershocks. Keaton is SO miffed ... he didn't feel a thing (they were further south working, driving during the original).
Colton is a trooper, really easy and adaptable, even though he (like Keaton) misses the social. No complaining. There were some tears, when a school project he had been working on deleted. We think the "back" key got stuck on his keyboard. I happened to be talking to him (we share a workspace, our computers are in the same room) and we both watched as it just deleted his almost done project :( Usually things with Google are backed up, but this deleted it until empty. We switched out keyboards. Coop's school is continuing on as normal, but I think Coop likes having Colton around.
I'm so glad Keaton can work - I hope his school classes aren't "live" but can be done at any time (it was "spring break" this week, so their switch to online learning happens this week) so he can still work full time with Callahan. Keaton doesn't do well with too much time on his hands. I don't know if their electrical job is considered "essential" (if they crack down) but there's usually one a few guys spread throughout a house, so it's definitely still doable. Gray still prefers to do work at his empty office than to try to work from home.
Landon and Sol (Sol is working in the medical field too, up at the U hospital. Kolby's wife Jami is a nurse in Washington) have been over. They are great at playing games with the littles and keeping things fun. I raided the game closet and brought out a bunch of lesser played games and told the boys it's a "quarantine challenge" to try some new games as well as the old favorites.
So - yesterday, Keaton had a buddy over in the gym to workout. Elvis was using one of the resistance bands (bungee type cord with handles, I don't think we ever really use them ourselves) when it snapped up and hit him in the face. Shattered his glasses and there was quite a bit of blood. We weren't sure if it was from a cut around his eye, or IN his eye. We had him call his parents. I called the instacare to see if that was something they could look at, but they recommended the ER. I called the ER to see how busy (trying to decide which to take him to, there are three quite close), how to do it (with thing being different today) and they said only one "healthy" person could accompany him. So Keaton was taking him in, but then his parents said to bring him home. I guess there are some insurance issues (he isn't covered right now). This kid ... he is probably the most well known and well liked kid that graduated from CopperHills last year. A miracle story - the family is a refugee family from Sudan and when they got here Elvis could barely speak English. He overcame it all, was sophomore class president, junior class president and school pres last year. His story was featured in our local paper as he was awarded a full scholarship to the U. Keaton has been checking in, and as while he originally could see out of the eye, his vision was being affected ... he did end up going in and had surgery yesterday. So that's been rather heavy to deal with, even though it's not our direct family. I remember my President Brown's daughter lost an eye after throwing a bottle down and glass hitting her eye. Praying Elvis has a better outcome. He was in tears worrying about that when it happened :(
Cal has a followup appointment for his foot on Monday (didn't get a reminder call, but also didn't get anything saying they were pushing appointments). Colton had an orthodontist appointment scheduled for Tuesday, but they did call and push that a couple weeks. I told him when we do get him in, they probably will do the "let us know when you are here and wait in the car, we'll call you when you can come up and in, and only the patient comes in" ... we'll see.
*More From Mom
Thanks for writing, Jen, and sharing your shopping, boys working, and medical/dental experiences. It does help the rest of us to know what to do or not do.
I'm glad Callahan can still work and Keaton with him, since being furloughed at Nike's retail store. I wonder how all of this will affect Spencer and McKenna's moving to Portland for the summer for an internship at NIKE for his MBA. It is so hard for anybody to make plans.
Heartwarming Story: On the news the other night, in Payson or somewhere down there, a person gave an envelope to the manager of a Costa Vida (I think). In the envelope was $3,600 in cash and a note saying, "I know you are going through rough times, please give $100 to each of your employees." Then the same thing, in the same handwriting, was given to the manager of Chick-Filet, containing $8,500 in cash! Nice to hear positive things with so much negative out there.
We hope Keaton's friend's eye will recover completely! That's amazing that he went from refugee to making the most of himself! I remember Chris would teach the inmates at the prison that they shouldn't use their past and hard upbringing as an excuse for not changing and making the most of your life!
I remember Pres. Brown's daughter having a glass eye. She was one of the twins--they had 2 sets of twins. Misty had twins also, didn't she?
Poor Colton, losing his project! I know how bad I feel when I lose an email I am typing and have to start over--even when it is just a few paragraphs!
Sorry I forgot to mention Sol--I knew she was working in a hospital also. Hard to think of everybody off the top of my head!
While listening to the "Washington Week" podcast, overtime during my swim this morning, they were interviewing an ER nurse. She was saying that what was scary for her is that at first they thought it was an "older persons with underlying conditions" problem with the serious cases and deaths. But she said they were finding that it is getting just as prevalent among 30-40 year olds. I have heard on a couple shows lately that 40% of cases are now with people younger than 60. So you younger people, don't be careless and cavalier, thinking that if you do get it, it will likely be mild.
I've wondered if the medical workers do get the virus, and get better, would they still need to wear the protective gear or be able to save it for the workers not yet infected??? A couple countries have mentioned having to call out a couple thousand 2nd year med students to staff their hospitals.
On the news, they mention needing volunteers places---but it would be good to just have recovered people do volunteer jobs. I've heard two sources mention recovered patients donating plasma with their antibodies to help the critically ill. I wonder if they could test the plasma easily to be sure it had antibodies--especially if they are paying people to donate--and the people are desperate for money. It will be interesting to see.
I think I will cancel our housecleaners until further notice. Maybe my April diabetes doctor visit. June dentist checkup and cleaning.
I want Dad to fill the car with gas tomorrow and get cash in small bills with the drive-through at the bank---just in case those places start closing more or have runs made on them. Prepared, just in case.....
We got an email that the water storage containers that we ordered, 2 each for us and our 6 kids, will be available for pickup at Wilford Cannons Mon. after 4, so Dad will get them. Wendy and Shane got their Emergency Preparedness sanitation stuff from us. We have it for you other 4.
Wonder if Aaron will be sent home from Peru early.... It is his birthday on the 30th.
I just used my last 2 cans of mandarin oranges. I can't seem to chew the membranes of fresh oranges, but have been craving and eating lots of canned mandarin oranges in sugar-free jello, with fresh bananas sliced on top. A good easy snack for me any time of day.
So if any of you can buy me a bunch of cans while buying groceries for your family (until a clerk gives you the evil-eye!), I would appreciate it. You can just keep them at your house out in your garage or out of your way until we see one of you or have enough groc. for us, to warrant Dad making a trip to pick it up. I wouldn't mind a case or two of them! The big approx. 30 oz. cans are nice and the next size down (15 oz.) are fine. Just tell me what I owe and I will Venmo the money.
I could use one or 2 bottles of Miracle Whip LIGHT. Other staples in demand is bleach --if you see them, grab a couple. Gray couldn't find any for them. We had an extra to give them. It's something we can always use more of, for my pool bleach.Derek just texted that the railing guy was running behind and will come Mon. I skipped my swim, expecting him, but we went for a nice walk between conferences.
Dad went out to mow the lawn and the lawn mower wouldn't start! He charged the batteries.
Thurs., March 26, 2020
Hi Family, Woke up to snow this morning! I want sunshine:-)! There were a couple days warm enough to sit in the sun and read for a half hour. My poor daffodils are all bent to the ground. I'd been meaning to gather a bouquet for the house.
Sun. Kemery called and said Amy had a 5-lb bag of gluten-free flour to give us and Kemery and Mitch drove out to deliver it to us. We visited a bit outside, with social distancing. Thanks Amy, Mitch, and Kemery. Sweet of you to do! Kemery said they had been to Sam's Club a couple times with no crowd there. Everyone, keep sharing your grocery shopping experiences, so we know what to expect as this COVID-19 experience progresses. Scott said Costco wasn't crowded when he went.
Nelva and Arnold were going to the early Senior shopping hour at Smith's, and said cars were lined up to even get in the parking lot, so I wasn't expecting that.
I am so grateful for our testimonies, good food storage and prescriptions ahead, and enough money to withstand the volatility of the stock market. All these things help us to feel peace in this time of turmoil. I know it is harder for you young marrieds just starting out and trying to handle school as well as everything else. We pray for all of our family daily. Keep us posted as to how all of you are doing.
Dad handled our "Come unto Christ" lesson and Sacrament on Sunday, with just the two of us.
Wendy, were you able to watch Jase and Ellen open wedding gifts---perhaps in your yard, 6 feet apart:-)? It is interesting to see on the news, the creative ways people come up with to celebrate---------friends and neighbors doing "drive-bys" with balloons, etc. for birthdays, showers, and weddings, passing gifts out the car window and yelling their congratulations!
I cancelled our house cleaning help until further notice and am not having Chris come for his usual day each week to help us. We will miss his help and visits, but felt it was the wise thing to do. We are being good and staying home. We are doing fine and are not bored or lonesome so far. We appreciate your letters and phone calls.
Dad did the census and finished our taxes. We will get about $600 back from Federal, but have to pay about $5,500 in state taxes!
I see Derek, working totally from home, is enjoying growing his facial hair!
Mumfords in our ward left a bag of caramel popcorn on our porch. That was nice of them to think of us. I emailed them thank you.
Fun idea shown on the news: Kids had taken sidewalk chalk, on a sunny day:-), and had written messages up and down their street in the sidewalk squares----such as "Don't worry, be happy." "We love you." "Smile." "Have a Great Day!" and other upbeat messages!
Sending our love to all of you! Mom/Grandma
Response from Wendy ~Thanks for the update, Mom, That is crazy that you have snow! We have had lots of rain but the past couple days have been beautiful and sunny! Saturday and Tuesday the kids and I weeded the flower beds out front. They look tons better – I wish there was something we could do with our grass – it just looks terrible. We haven’t done the social distancing with Jase and Ellen. They have been coming over every morning to do their online school since they don’t have Wifi set up yet at their apartment. The guy was supposed to do it on Monday, but cancelled and postponed and isn’t coming until tomorrow. They also had dinner with us the last three nights. We have had more family dinners and regular scripture discussions in the evening now that everyone is home – which has been nice! I mentioned this before, but instead of reading a chapter with the family each night each of the kids are supposed to read the chapter on their own and then we discuss what we learned from it. It has worked out really well! Jenna taught the “Come Follow Me” lesson Sunday and did a great job.
Today was Day Two of online school for the kids. It is going fine. They are using every computer in the house though, which means I can’t do MY computer work until they are finished with their school for the day. They had the option to check out a chrome book from their school but the school wanted those with the greatest need to take them first, so I didn’t look into it. Maybe I should see if they have any left that are available to check out. It has been interesting being more involved in the kids’ schooling – especially the Chinese with Jenna. It was definitely more work for me since she needed help with her Math. It has been nice having Jase and Ellen around to help Jaiden with her Chemistry questions. I added some pictures and updates on my blog about the past week: https://wendyjensen.blogspot.com/We are grateful that Rick still has his job. He has gone in the office some days and worked from home some days. Rick and Josh and Jase have played pickle ball several times. I have lost all of my interpreting hours for the time being. Janelle still has her job but hasn’t worked much this week. One of the other kids asked her if she could take her shift because she “needed the hours.” Janelle is so nice she said “yes” even though she needs the hours too and enjoys getting out of the house. Jase is off all week but still gets paid. He said his hours will be cut. Ellen still has her job.I called my ministering sisters (both older ladies) and gabbed with them about 45 minutes each. They were both in pretty good spirits and said that they didn’t need any groceries or anything. Rick went to Costco and said it wasn’t bad – still no toilet paper. Jaiden and I went to the library to get a book for school. The worker wore gloves and maintained a distance. She had us scan our card and the books ourselves. She didn’t touch anything.That’s all that going on here!! Wendy
March 28, 2020
Gray bought lots of groceries for us this morning and delivered them to our house! (we can always come pick things up at your home). Kept social distancing!
So now we have 2 milk, OJ, bag of potatoes, bread, Rhodes frozen rolls, grapes, eggs, Marie Callender pies (necessity of life for my latest craving!), and many other items. Thanks Gray! Scott has been good to offer to shop for us also.
So Gray was able to pick up his preparedness stuff, the 1 Suze Orman retirement book that arrived yesterday--sooner than expected-- and a bottle of bleach they needed that we had (we buy ahead for my pool and put in 1/2 cup each day after my swim). The rest of the books should be arriving since I ordered the 7 books right after I ordered the one that arrived yesterday.
This morning, after Jeni texted, I finally got around to creating a word doc grocery list to help me remember things. I have been meaning to do that for awhile I have lists for: Any Grocery store, Costco, and Smiths---because some things are only at a particular store. Gray went to WalMart and Smiths---I forgot to ask if they were crowded. He went early. Then if I need to send you a list sometime, I can do "save as" and take the existing base list and eliminate what I don't need at that time.
The bucket of Guar Gum I ordered from Amazon arrived. We finally got the lid off! Kind of like paint can lids. So I am filling some jars for Amy, Kemery, Wendy, Alicia, and McKenna and anyone that bakes Gluten-free sometimes----doubt if Kellen bakes, but he can have some if he does:-)!
Take Care! One doctor in the U.S. said this Virus was about 20 times more contagious than the bad flu. However they measure those things. TV national news showed hospital workers in some state wearing black garbage bags because they had run out of protective gowns! Most of you don't get regular TV and news. I watch a lot and keep up on it here and nationally, and around the world. As of yesterday, Utah had 480 confirmed cases and 2 deaths.
From Chris: Kim went to sprouts right when it opened at 7 o’clock, and hardly anyone was there. Amazon, via Whole Foods, delivers quite a few items even fresh ones. But they won’t deliver to us. Mom, they will deliver to your address, and camden‘s address, but not ours in Pleasant Grove. I actually worked up an order of some items to save a trip to the grocery store, but then found out they were not delivered to our home. Amazon will deliver here, but not the Whole Foods cart, which is kind of a separate cart within Amazon.
From Wendy: Thanks for the update, Mom! Rick was finally able to find toilet paper at Walmart yesterday. We had been almost out before heading up for the wedding and hadn't been able to find any more for the past two weeks and finally had to break into one of the cases from mom. So glad we found some. He also got bread, apples, and lots of tomatoes for a great price. We had tomato salad last night! So...it has been 14 days since the wedding -- our last big gathering. Is everything feeling well -- no symptoms of anything I hope?! We were excited to get the photos back from Alicia. They turned out great!
No comments:
Post a Comment