Sunday, September 13, 2020

Jensen Update September 13, 2020

It is about time for another Jensen Update... This past week was Homecoming week at the high school school with school activities every night of the week. (Powder Puff game, parade, drive-in movie, tailgate party, Homecoming assembly, Homecoming game, Fireworks party.) Jaiden was involved to the hilt in every single one of them. I had her miss the drive-in movie for her weekly dance class and she was completely distraught about missing what she deemed to be such a critical social event. 

Jaiden was also asked to sing the National Anthem (solo) at the Volleyball game, the Homecoming assembly (with the Madrigals) and also at the Homecoming game (with the Madrigals -- she was the soloist). Janelle went to some of the activities also (when she wasn't working). Thank goodness Jaiden's job as a swim instructor finally starts next week! Here is a link to Jaiden singing the National Anthem at the volleyball game. (Wearing a blazer since the theme was "Business Out." I really wish I had a video of her singing with the Madrigals at the Homecoming game. I was dropping off Josh to his friend's house on the way and by the time I got there I heard her (from the parking lot) but wasn't able to film it.  

I spent the two Saturdays before Homecoming bringing the girls dress shopping. Unfortunately they weren't available to come together. I learned from Janelle about a dress shop called "Suzy's Closet" that is right out of someone's home in Hurricane. It was awesome! Over a thousand prom dresses (either to rent or buy). The dresses were modest, or had accessories to make them modest. They happened to have a 50% sale the week we went and so it was killer deals! I ended up getting six dresses between the two girls, ha ha!! Two for Homecoming (they chose really simple dresses for HOCO) and fancier ones for Junior Prom and Senior Ball (assuming they get asked). 

Alicia, you might want to think about bringing Adria to check out the dress shop when you come since she will be almost sixteen. (If they are open -- they have limited hours.) I watched a dozen or so YouTube videos trying to learn new hairstyles for Homecoming. Thanks to Jaiden's hair requirements for past recitals I finally mastered french braids and dutch braids. For this dance I learned how to do a waterfall braid. I am a slow learner, but am pretty proud of myself when I finally master a new style! Janika was so awesome at doing both her own hair and her sister's hair that I didn't learn many of these skills until she was out of the house! 

The girls weren't in the same group, so we were excited that the dates happened to show up at the same time so that we could get some pictures together! Although the colors put together look like they are ready for valentines day, ha ha. The girls did a little re-enactment of when they were little (just by memory -- I wished we had watched the original video first so that we could have made the re-enactment second closer to the first one. Maybe next time!) 
 

For Jaiden's day date they met up with their big group and went to a thrift store where they picked out funny clothes for each other and then went bowling. Jaiden and her date found these awesome onesies! Janelle's group went boating at Sand Hollow. Janelle came home sunburned in spite of my warnings to wear sunscreen! Jaiden's group went out to eat at an Italian restaurant (Cappelettis) and Janelle's group had pictures on a water tower. They had decorated it all and she said it looked awesome. It was catered by Chick-Fil-A. The dance was on the high school football field. Unfortunately students were not keeping the rules and kept doing Mosh Pits in spite of several warnings to stop. Finally they shut down the dance and kicked everyone out an hour early. The same thing happened at Janelle's last dance -- except for that time it was due to crowd surfing. It is just too bad that some groups of kids have to spoil it for everyone else. So Janelle's group split up and she and her date joined Janelle's friends at one of their houses for their own dance. She said it was really fun. Jaiden's group went out for ice cream and then to someone's house to watch a movie. Both girls had a great day in spite of the dance being shut down. 

Other events this week included auditions for the Broadway Musical Revue. Janelle and Jaiden both auditioned with a solo piece. Jaiden also auditioned with a duet and a trio number. Jaiden's trio number got in. Neither of them got in with their solo pieces, but then on the cast list (stating which songs got in) it said "Some Things Are Meant to Be" Jaiden and Janelle Jensen. The girls were confused since they hadn't even auditioned with that song. Janelle asked the director and she said they wanted the girls to do it! It is a beautiful song from Little Women sung by two sisters Jo and Beth ... So we are excited about that! Jaiden also got in with her trio piece: The I Love You Song. The girls and I had scoured youtube for hours searching for fun upbeat songs for them to audition with and then all of the songs the directors picked were ballads! This audition was just for the solos and small numbers. Everyone will be in the big group numbers. The Musical Revue will be some time in November. 

Josh is killing it in soccer. Yesterday Rick and I went to his soccer game armed with the camera and somehow managed to miss all three of his goals on film. He was NOT happy that we didn't get pictures or videos of them!! The score was 3-1 and all three of the goals were made by Josh. Next time!! I had signed up for an interpreter workshop and then they changed it to a live video conference. So I was trying to multitask while at the game, which didn't work out well at all. Thankfully I was able to get a VIDEO of a goal from another mom! 

A week or so ago we went boating with the Young Women at Quail lake. Apparently every member of our Bishopric owns a boat! Why haven't we done this before? It was a lot of fun. Janelle has been before and so she stayed up the longest. Jenna tried over and over but wasn't able to get up. I am sure once she does it she will have no problem! Jaiden got up briefly and so Janelle managed to get a good shot of her! 
A couple of weeks ago Jenna asked if she and her friend, Clarissa, could fix Rick and I a special candlelight dinner for our date tonight! We wholeheartedly agreed! They did such a fabulous job! They dressed up as cute little fancy waitresses, decorated the stairs and basement with candles, played soft music, and served us a delicious meal of tacos, followed by dessert. First they called their "restaurant" JC's Romantic Corner (J for Jenna and C for Clarissa). But before the end of the night they switched the name to BFF Romantic Corner. After the meal they cleaned up the kitchen so that we could watch a movie. It was the perfect date! Love these cute girls!! We tipped them $10.00 ($5.00 for each of them). They were really happy with that!
 Rick has been taking a training program to take the National Certification Test and so he has been busy with that. He is also interpreting a class at Dixie. One of the Seminary teachers quit a week after school started and so all of the teachers had to take an extra class to cover for him. So that has been an extra burden on his schedule. He is teaching early morning Seminary and likes the classes. He is also enjoying his deaf institute class. 

I have been busy interpreting at Dixie Tech and DSU as well as medical appointments. Jase and Ellen are busy with school and work. Jared works at Caption Call from home. Jared was starting another job selling door to door for a local window washing company. But he decided that might not be the best place for him to be right now and so he isn't going to continue. Jase and Jared both do Door Dash when they have time and Jared is still donating plasma. 

In August Janika and Brandon were supposed to go on a cruise to Europe. It was canceled due to Covid, but since they had the days off they decided to do a bunch of fun local activities that week instead. For Christmas they had told us that they wanted "experiences" instead of "things." So we had gotten them several gift cards for various activities such as indoor skydiving, a Chinese massage, a night at the Anniversary Inn, ice skating (they did that one in the winter). They also did some other fun things this week such as mini golf and climbing wall.  

Brandon also got Janika to surf!

Before school started I finally got the Missionary Wall updated. The three oldest have the same pictures since they have already served missions, but I updated the pictures of the four youngest! 



 That is all that is going on with us. Have a great week, everyone!! Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment