Jensen Update
Fri, Jan 6, 2017, 3:28 PM


I actually wrote an update today too while I was waiting for Jenna at the Orthodontist. I was thinking, should I wait and send this out now -- or wait until Sunday? But since Alicia just sent hers out (I enjoyed that Alicia -- thanks!) then I figured I might as well too. I will also copy her and send an abridged version!
Abridged version: Christmas decorations are down -- Janika is off to Snow College -- it snowed -- Jenna got headgear!!
Unabridged version below:
Monday 2: We spent the day putting away all of the Christmas decorations and getting the house back in order. Janika worked on packing for Snow College. She had two dates today. She went out to lunch with the son of our Young Women's president (Taylor Nielson) to a sandwich place called Evan Stevens. He was home on Christmas break from Utah State. His younger brother, Tanner, is engaged to one of Janika's friends, Rachel Green (another family from our ward). They had never met before and Janika thought Taylor was a cute, fun guy and would like to go out with him again. But she leaves for Snow in the morning and he is at USU and so if they go out again it won't be for a while. She was glad when he sent a text later that night expressing an interest in getting together again.
Then later that night she had another date with Zak Bess (sp?). He was the first one she went on a date with after her mission a couple of weeks ago. She knew him from school although he is a few years older than she is. They went bowling and out for hot chocolate and drove around and talked. She didn't get home till 1:00 a.m. He is also attending Utah State University. She had a good time, but was a little stressed the next day trying to hurry and get everything ready to leave and wished she hadn't stayed out so late.
Tuesday 3: I went for a walk this morning. Janika called the scholarship office before we left and was able to get the scholarship figured out. It was there, it just needed to be reactivated. So that was a big relief! We had a nice drive (it is about 3 1/2 hours) and went to the Cashier's office so that Janika could set up direct deposit for her Regent's check and then we moved her stuff in. She is in the exact same apartment as last time (except different room). She wasn't too happy about going back to the exact same apartment, but that is the one that happened to have openings. She was excited to see her friend Meagan Taylor. They had met at Snow their freshman year and both went on missions. Meagan went to Canada and arrived home a week after Janika. We were impressed with her and think she and Janika will have fun together. We met of a few of the other roommates and they seem nice.
We took both girls to the Institute. We were hoping to say hi to Dennis Nordfelt. He was in LD Singers with me when I was at Snow and became a seminary/Institute teacher. He also became engaged and later married to a girl (Marchelle) who was also in LD's with us. They just moved back to Ephraim this year for him to teach Institute at Snow. It was a bit of a adjustment because they had been living in Bountiful (I think) for years and loved it and weren't expecting a move. Marchelle said he loves teaching at the Institute at Snow though.
The teachers had already going home for the day so we didn't get to say hi, but we went to the institute library and I looked up some pictures from the year I was there in a couple of their photo albums. The photo album I put together as historian of LD's back in 86-87 should be there somewhere, but we were in a hurry and so I didn't get a chance to look for it. Then we went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant with Janika and Meagan. We then stopped by Kaden Westra's Apartment to see him and take a little tour of his apartment. It was fun visiting with him for a few minutes. Then we dropped off the girls and headed home. It was so good to spend the day together and to have that nice long drive with Rick so that we could visit and talk and share fun stories. We just gabbed and laughed the entire way home.
Wednesday 4: I went for another walk in the morning. Rick had wanted me to leave all the snow clothes at Mom's house when we were up for Christmas and I left a couple of things, but I'm glad I decided to bring most of it back with us because Jaiden got invited to go sledding at Pine Valley for the day with Emma Broberg. Her Aunt (Jan Broberg) brought Emma and RJ and they each invited a friend. I guess Jan's ex-husband has a cabin there and so they had lunch and played in the snow for the day.
Rick took Janelle into Costco to order her new contacts (dailies) and new glasses. Janika texted and said that she and Meagan and Hannah Taggart, one of her missionary companions who goes to snow, went to the temple in Manti tonight and ran into Tom Osmond! Janika spoke to him in sign language and he said that she just touched his heart and he was go glad we had taught her sign language. :)
Thursday 5: The kids went back to school. Finally! It seemed like a long break! Although I enjoy sleeping in, I was definitely ready to get back on a schedule! I even woke up before my alarm -- surprise, surprise! I went to the gym and got the kids off to school and then had a presidency meeting. We are getting our Priesthood Preview ready for this month. It always seems like there is something!
I spent the afternoon looking up college information. I learned that the scholarship deadline for Utah State for Fall 2017 is this Tuesday! So I'm glad I checked! Janika is thinking about going to Utah State after Snow -- either that or move to BYU Idaho and live there with her friends while taking online classes from Utah State! We will see! So she worked on her application tonight and got that sent in.
She really likes her classes. I texted her asking if there were any cute guys and she texted back and said, "there are a few, but I ended up sitting by/talking to girls in all of them haha. I'll do better next time (winky face) The girls I met are all super sweet though! It's so fun, I already see a huuuuge difference in the way I interact with people, and I love it. I didn't need to be this worried about coming here ha ha." So that is good!!
Friday 6: It snowed last night -- not enough to stick, but enough to make the mountains look pretty and leave some skiffs of snow here and there. I am now at the orthodontist with Jenna. I was wishing I had brought my laptop, but decided to text some journal entries to my e-mail while I'm here! Her braces look a lot more secure now with a thicker wire and attached better. Her first wire that was put on was really thin and bent so easily and kept popping out and one of her brackets kept coming off her tooth. It was such a nuisance! She STILL has her palatal expander and they also put in risers on her top molars to help fix her cross bite and they gave her head gear that she is supposed to wear as much as possible (but she doesn't have to wear it to school). She sure has been a trooper through all of this!!
Jase spent a good part of a P-Day making a calendar with mission pictures to send to us for Christmas. He mailed it out, but we never got it -- which was really disappointing to both him and us. A member helped head it up and all of the other families got theirs just fine. We don't know what happened to it! I've been busy bribing the kids to finish their 2016 histories. They are all finished except for Jase's and I am trying to finish his. I will add them to dropbox when they are all finished!
Wendy
No comments:
Post a Comment