Did you say 1 p.m., Scott, for his farewell? So find your substitutes for your church job if you need to. I will bring some desserts for after, if you want, Amy. We would like everyone's new church times. We like to put them on our phone list to help us keep track for dinners, etc. Were the cousins able to do baptisms this morning in the St. George temple?
Scott and Kellen came over this morning and put in the last 5 canned LED lights and the filter in our refrigerator. They also tied up our tall leaning bush by the side of the porch---so that looks much better! Thanks Scott and Kellen!
Grayson said they had replaced all Pam's lights with LEDs also.
Happy New Year's Eve!
From Alicia: Our church time stays the same. 9 am. Shane took Janelle, Jaiden, and Adria to do Baptisms at the St. George Temple this morning. They met Rick there (he was interpreting for a sealing) and Wendy and Janika went to do Initiatories. We are now in the throes of the New Years Eve party...Jaiden and Janelle each have a few friends over. Our girls blend right in, especially Adria. They've been playing games and dancing. The big dance party is about to begin (the one where Rick judges and *usually* wins. Hope you are all having a Happy New Year's Eve!
January 1, 2017
Our church time changed to 11--yahoo! Glad the St. George temple trip worked out! I missed Alicia's email until Dad mentioned it.
We had a fun time playing games at Jen and Gray's, with lots of tempting munchies------and the boys were still going strong after midnight! We played a lot of speed Rummikub, since I said we couldn't quit until I won and that took a while (I know that's hard for you to believe!)
A nice boy's coat was left here--blue with black stripes on the sleeves----------was it meant for the snow clothes container or left by accident? Josh's?
Jeni sent some snow clothes home with us for Cayson to look through and try on when they come tomorrow night. Chris, there is a container of pumpkin puree in the fridge (leftover from Shane's pumpkin pie, so remember to use it or take it.
Rick, do you know a girl named Allie Stevens at Desert Hills Seminary? Her grandparents, Glade and Debbie Curtis, live around the corner from us. Debbie was called to be a Family History Consultant, so that is great. She saw in our Christmas newsletter that you taught at Desert Hills. Allie is a Junior there.
January 4, 2017
Got my 1st eye surgery over with this morning. We were glad the roads weren't bad as the weatherman predicted it would be. We had to leave home at 6:45 a.m. Next eye done on Jan. 25. I just had to wear the patch an hour, then the plastic overpatch for the 1st three nights. I have a post-op checkup tomorrow morning (hope the roads aren't bad as a 2nd bigger colder storm is forecast tonight into tomorrow). At least we don't have to go so far for the one-day checkup and the week checkup. They are at his office by Fashion Place Mall. The surgery was up by the U. of U. campus at the Moran Eye Center. He said it is normal to have blurry vision in that eye for a few days.
January 6, 2017
I enjoy all the details---so UNabridged for me!!
Derek, I just Venmo'd you $500 for future phone bills. Dad has to transfer some more money from Fidelity. Let us know when it runs low again. Scott, Kellen's $100 to your ward monthly, should have arrived a couple days ago, so check and be sure. We just get notifications that 5 payments went out, but doesn't give details as to who and what amount. Chris, Seth's should start the first few days of Feb. Check to be sure.
We'll pick up Chris's 2 boys for Kellen's farewell. Emotional rollercoaster for Kellen and parents this week. I remember how it was!
Wendy, that's nice that you stopped by and visited Kadan at Snow. It would be nice for the cousins to do some stuff together. Janika can setKadan up on dates! and vice-versa! I was wondering how Janika's datewas with the YW President's son. Maybe the 2 boys at Utah State could meet Cousin Kemery up there.
We have lots of snow still that will take a lot of time to melt.
My post-op checkup went well yesterday. After just one day, the eyesight in my right eye (the worst one that was done first) is betterthan my left eye. So it will be nice when the left eye is done also.
Derek, I see you were adding photos to dropbox--good for you! LittleNoelle will be 1 year old Sun. on the 8th!
This morning, I was working on the Proclamation on the Family on my website, and one article led to another to another and somehow I ended up adding a bunch on the Nicene Creed on my page: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, under "Are Mormons Christians" subheading.
I was thinking that would be a good FHE to have, especially for Kellen and Seth, to fully understand the role of the Nicene Creed as to why people think we are not Christians. They are bound to run into that on their missions and a full understanding of it would make them comfortable discussing it. I think it is so silly that a bunch of different church leaders of the day could get together and with much
disagreement and compromise, say that only religions that teach that God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are rolled into one incomprehensible being are Christians. And this was way back in 325 AD!
January 23, 2017
Hi Kids,
Not much new. We got 10 inches of snow on Sat. Carolyn and her son Spencer and their snowblower helped Dad with his shoveling. He doesn't want a snowblower though.
Sun. was our ward conference. We still spent SS hour in our computer room, as Bruce Hutchins came in for help. And I spent the time training our new consultant, Debbie Curtis. Dad was going to go HT, but his companion wouldn't go because "the weather was too bad." Our faithful HTs came.
Yesterday was Lorrie's birthday. I forgot until late last night and texted her this morning. I felt bad forgetting. She said Emily hosted a party last night for everyone and that Dave got a new smoker for
Christmas and made some amazing ribs and pork. I told her Grayson is an expert, if Dave wants any tips.
Dad is heading out on errands. We've had rain today and lots of wind, and it is barely starting to turn to snow. Hope he gets back before it gets worse.
Robin Egan has been seriously ill. He had a knee replacement and developed an e-coli infection in the knee. The hospital was trying every anti-biotic in their arsenal. Mary Egan had hers done a year or so ago and had some problems too, but not this bad. They both had it done in Park City, but I don't know which doctor. Egan's have been serving in YSA stakes for years, and just barely came
back to our ward.
I took dinner into Joy and Max Powell Sat. She had a knee replacement on Tues. and is doing amazingly well--in her mid-80's. Mark Sollis did very well with his too. Their doctors have quit using the Continuous Passive Motion machine that I was hooked up to for a week or two. Some surgeons have now decided it didn't really help that much. Things keep changing in medicine!
Kim, I think you mentioned doing Kneader's bread for French Toast after Seth's farewell Sunday at 9 a.m. Do you want us to bring fruit or something?
Westra update Mon. Jan. 30, 2016
Hi Kids,
Thanks for your nice letters--and are anxious to read the other forthcoming ones for the week;-)!
Wendy, I did think Josh was a little young for an over-nighter track meet, and then figured it out! We are glad you finally found a car for Janika. I guess Landon will need some "wheels" also .
Pam and Gray are flying out this morning on Delta, 9:55 ---guess they are already in the air. Kellen is flying out this morning also---wouldn't it be funny if they all saw each other! I don't know what time or airline for Kellen. Good Luck to everyone. Pam and Gray and Landon arrive home next Mon. night at 7 and Landon will have to face the school decisions also.
We enjoyed Seth's farewell. He spoke from the heart, which is always good. Scott and Amy came. There was just a comfortable size group over to the house after. We will pick up Cayson and Camden and go to Chris and Kim's tomorrow night for dinner and for Seth's "setting apart."
My second cataract surgery, on my left eye, went well on Wed. I had a cold also and hoped I wouldn't cough when they were working on my eye, but I didn't want to reschedule. Glad to have them both done--it has made a good difference in my eyesight! We are blessed to live in a time with this type of medical help. We had to leave at 6:45 a.m. Ugh! There was a snowstorm both times we went. The Moran Eye Center is by Primary Children's Hospital --- hilly area. But we made it fine by allowing extra time. I was his first surgery both times. I went in for my one-day checkup, then this Thurs. for the one-week checkup, then in a month for the last checkup. I had to go without makeup for Seth's farewell, just as I had to for Kellen's.
That first week without makeup after the first eye, I was anxious to get back to makeup because I thought my face wrinkles showed up so much more without. But after a week, it finally occurred to me----it wasn't the lack of makeup that made the wrinkles seem worse-----it was that my eyesight was better and I could them more now!!
That was nice that Wendy and the girls went to see Caroline in the musical. Nikki wrote that she appreciated it. Lorrie also. Merrill and Lorrie will be able to see it soon, as they will be in St. George.
We will still pay for an EFY Stay-at-Home Session for the grandkids that want to go. Camden said he would love to go to the overnight session, but it is expensive. We will pay the stay-at-home amount towards the over-night session if you go that route. Wendy, do your kids still get 1/2 off when you and Rick are session directors? Kadan was telling Camden how much fun it was when he did the stay-overnight session. Chris, I don't know if Camden could earn enough for the overnight session if we pay the $235 dollars. The over-night sessions fill up fast though.
Does Janika still lose some of her scholarship money if she switches to BYU-Idaho?
Dad was not too impressed with the Science Fair Projects he helped judge at Oakwood School.
At Karie's daughter Megan's wedding reception in their back yard, Megan and her dad Gary did an upbeat dance too. Gary did lots of fancy moves and really got into it also! Karie and Gary and other relatives moved Megan and Christopher (?) into one of Karie and Gary's rental apartments in Provo area. The apartment they were in since their Sept. wedding, (Saratoga Springs, I think) was sold, so they had to move out. I think this will be closer for Megan's work anyway and closer to family. Moving is always a chore, but they didn't have time to accumulate too much, like the rest of us!
There are two new shows on PBS that are good. One about Queen Victoria on Masterpiece Theater and one on the wives of Henry VIII. If they have reruns so you could see them from the beginning, I think you would enjoy them. On Sunday nights.
We are trying to get a night out together with my siblings to exchangeour Christmas gifts. The past two years we were exchanging presents atMcGraths, in Feb., and people laughed and said they were still doing that also!
Love ~ Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment