
22 Pics - Red Canyon Trip - Cayson here - Christopher and Kim Update
Mon, Aug 17, 7:30 AM (7 days ago)
Westra Family and Friends
Cayson and I went and worked at Grandma and Grandpa’s house on Tuesday, and then picked up Cayson and his bike and clothes that evening on the way home. So Cayson is here now, and all registered for school..! We are getting his room set up. I also got him registered for Seminary.
Thursday Corin came and worked here with Conner on our shed. When we emptied out our shed to dejunk and clean, we found that the floor and one wall were quite water damaged (and just worn out). So the boys put in a new floor and a new ceiling, and Conner will run electricity to it for a light, and also put new siding on it.
Friday after work Kim and I headed out on our weekend trip to the Panguitch / Bryce Canyon area. Our Airbnb was in Panguitch, and it used to be the ice house for the city. So it has 14 inch thick rock walls(see pics). No air conditioning, but it was plenty cool enough. Our home in Fayette had thick stone walls and no air-conditioning also, and it works! That’s why I build the home in Gunnison with concrete walls all the way to the eaves.
So after we checked in and rested, we headed toward Bryce Canyon in the evening. There is a recreational area called Red Canyon that is West of Bryce Canyon. Red Canyon is similar in geology and beauty, but not as large. Red Canyon is free and just as beautiful and less crowded, so we never actually made it into Bryce. We picked the first trail, as evening was coming, and enjoyed a nice hike up the Thunder Mountain trail.
Saturday I got up really early (like in the dark early) and headed out to Agate hill, a rock collecting place near Panguitch. I took a 15 minute nap until it got light enough to see the rocks. I left Kim sleeping at the Airbnb. This is the most prolific rock collecting area I’ve ever seen! Agate and jasper everywhere. I don’t collect just to collect, I gather rocks to use in my rock pathways and walls, so I prefer polished and weathered, not rough and jagged. So the downside of these rocks is that 98 percent need polishing. I only have the small polisher, so I need a larger one so I can process more.
I got back to the Airbnb about 730 and Kim was just getting up and about. I rested and then we went off and hiked the Tunnel Trail in Red Canyon. It got a bit steep for Kim so we went down and took a trail near the Red Canyon Visitor Center. The morning was still not too hot, but we knew the temperature would rise to 100 or so. So I had planned from the start to go up into the mountains in the afternoon - to Panguitch Lake.
After a lunch break and a rest, I drove up to Panguitch Lake and we took a couple hikes there also. We went along the lake for a bit, but then went up into the higher hills to find some shade. With the shade and being near 8500 feet elevation, it was very pleasant. I was able to find some nice pieces of bright red jasper along the hike. It’s actually more fun when you have to search for the good pieces (as opposed to finding them all over the ground).
I was at 12,000 steps on my Fitbit, and we were pretty exhausted by Saturday evening, so we enjoyed dinner outside the Airbnb in the shade. Sunday morning I went back early near Agate Hill, but in a different area - still loads of great rocks - black, brown, red, green, white. Then Kim and I packed up and went for an early hike much further up the Thunder Mountain trail - the one we enjoyed Friday evening. Then we headed home. It was a great trip! We will take Cayson on our September trip - probably up to Thousand Springs in Idaho. The Lyman family invited Cayson to their home church on Sunday.
I’ve been working on more promises for various topics for Margie’s Messages.
Cayson starts school tomorrow!
Here is Prosperity Poem 88 - Never Ending.
Have a great week!
Christopher and Kim
PS. A couple pics are Camden from his Grand Canyon Trip.

No comments:
Post a Comment