Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Blackham Update (03/08/2017)


Blackham Update Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 7:54 AM

It was good to see many of you on Sunday. We've been enjoying the smoked meat leftovers here too. I'm a couple days late on my weekly Blackham update. 



Last week it was the state 5A boys basketball playoffs. Copper Hills and Bingham and tied for first place in Region 3. Each only losing to each other one time (on the other's turf). So to determine the "seed" going into playoffs, there was a coin flip. Copper Hills lost. There is an advantage to being first seed, and I can't help but wonder how different things might have been if we'd won (I'm thinking we would have made it to Saturday, but then still perhaps lost to Bingham ... but who knows). 

Monday's game was up at the University of Utah. Gray, Landon and Colton went, but as it was streaming live, I figured I'd watch from the comfort of home. Well ... the stationary bike, which isn't exactly comfortable, but helpful for expending that anxious energy. Our boys won ... so next game Wednesday. 

That one was early, at 2:30, at Weber University. Gray, being halfway there, went straight from work to watch. I watched the stream again, on the bike again ... except that I had to pick up Colton at 3:30. I tried to still listen (they have a commentary going) but my connection gave out. Luckily that round trip is pretty quick. Our boys won so onto the Semi-Finals on Friday. 




Friday's game, again at Weber, was at 4:10. I actually watched the Bingham/Pleasant Grove game (the other semi-final). I'm pretty familiar with Bingham, having played them several times. We've never played PG. Bingham has a big guy, 6'11" which has been a challenge, as none of our guys are that tall. BUT ... PG has a 7'4" guy (a sophomore) so I just had to watch to see the battle of the big guys :) The commentator said that Bingham's big had NEVER played a game where someone was taller than him. Bingham got the win.

We played Lone Peak, and most commentators had given Lone Peak the edge/prediction. They have a lot of good players. Our coaches have seemed to put everything on our star (Stockton Malone Shorts) ... although our other boys can come through too. If everyone has a good game, then Copper Hills is tough to beat, but everyone has to be on. Lone Peak was VERY on, hitting three pointers like crazy, and getting 30 of 32 free throws (I think). Callahan had one of his better games though, but still tough to lose. Last high school game ...

Keaton has said he doesn't think he'll continue playing. The coaches have their favorites (Stockton's brother on the sophomore team is one) and Keaton just hasn't felt it's worth it. The time commitment of practices/games, giving up a class in the school schedule (4th period is "basketball team"), and how miserable the practices can be. You really have to love it to push through sometimes. I think it's part of the process, the coaches just make half the kids want to quit, then they don't have to cut them. Every year, about half the sophomore team just doesn't even bother trying out again. So ... my basketball stuff will go down exponentially too. 

Cooper brought up the possibility of a Spring team, but it would be Superleague, and I just don't know if he's at the level, he's skilled, but hasn't been playing competitively, and it's a completely different game. I think I'm more worried about mentally though (he can't deal with a coach yelling, or "trash talk" from the other team). He'd mentioned trying out for the school team next year too. We'll see what happens.

Colton will be playing Spring on both his 5th (Grizzlies) and 6th (Wolves) teams. He's got a day trip tournament to Logan this weekend. I'm not going, just sending him (I don't travel well). 

Speaking of traveling. Gray, Landon and Keaton are taking a weekend trip. Surprising Kolby (they are going and Gray and Co are meeting them there). Jami knows and is setting everything up. It will be Keaton's first time on a plane. 

Saturday morning Gray hosted his annual Pinewood Derby Car Building workshop. He opens the garage up for any of the families to come get help with their cars. Tools, info, etc. 



Saturday was PROM for Callahan. It was a little hard, because the boys hadn't know if they would be playing in the championship game or not (Saturday at noon) ... as they were not playing, they had a day date to Airborne (trampoline place). Dinner at Tepanyaki, then the dance up the captial, just like it was back in our day. Cal's girfriend Kate has a brother who is into photography, so he took some pictures. Love that! I ran into Kate's mom at the store the other day (she recognized me, the younger brother Ben had been on Keaton's 9th grade basketeball team but I hadn't gotten to know all the parents then). We had a good chat. She LOVES Callahan ;)

Sunday we saw many of you. Layla was so cute with the kitties ... except that Joy gave her a little scratch. Layla had to talk to both kitties and told them that "no you should not scratch me" Downstairs with some of the kitty toys she was so cute "oh, I like this ball, it's sparkly! Oh, I have a necklace like this!" There was a pretty intense Jazz game on too there at the end of the evening and I think Cooper was about to go crazy!

So that was our week ...

No comments:

Post a Comment