Sunday, March 5, 2017

Shane&Alicia Update (03/05/2017)


Sent: 03/5/2017   From Alicia
 Subject: Redwood Shores Westra Update 3/5/2017


Happy March! It's hard to say if the month has come in like a lamb or a lion...we had pretty nice weather earlier in the week, but it was rainy yesterday and today. We even had a short burst of hail this morning while we were at church! We could hear it pounding on the roof and one of the men in our Sunday School class opened an exterior door to investigate, so we even got a glimpse of the hail coming down.

 Monday morning was the big day for Rella. Calder and I walked her over to the elementary school with all her gear for Outdoor Ed. The buses hadn't arrived yet, but most of the parents and students had. Rella went to check into her classroom while Calder and I guarded her gear and waited for the buses. The buses arrived and all the parents worked to load their students' gear into the compartments on the sides. Then the kids all came out and boarded the buses. The principal talked with each of the buses, then finally they left! Rella was a little nervous, but nothing worrisome. The rest of our Monday was pretty standard. Calder had school, I went to an exercise class. Adria had mandolin and her weekly FaceTime with her best friend Lilly. For dinner we had Shane grab us smoothies on the way home from work. 

 I thought Tuesday would be much less busy than normal since Rella wasn't home, but it ended up being about the same, maybe even busier than normal in the afternoon. Two of the YW from our ward (the Schofield twins) have just released a children's book and had asked me to come take photos and video of their launch party at a local bookstore. There was a great turnout and it was really fun to be there. Many people from the ward, people from the community, teachers, friends, and friends of friends all came to support them. It was fun. Shane brought Adria over to the launch after he got home from work. Then after Adria and I got home he went to do a visit for Elders Quorum. So it was a wee bit crazy.

 Wednesday morning I took Calder to the dentist. His teeth look good, but the dentist would like us to take Calder to the orthodontist for an evaluation, just to get an idea of what may need to be done down the road. Calder has a bit of tongue thrust and cross bite going on, but no cavities! Then Calder and I went to the ceramics shop to pick up the projects that Calder, Rella, and her friend Charlotte had made the week before. They look nice! Calder went to school, then I went to pick Adria up from school (Wednesdays are early out). She usually just rides the bus home, but we had plans to visit Shane's office and go to lunch with him since Adria had never been to his office before. Several people commented on how much Adria looks like Shane. She enjoyed seeing where he works, especially since she had done a career aptitude test in one of her classes that morning. We always say that she could really do whatever she wants to do...this just solidified our theory. Adria had 64 aptitude matches including political scientist, sociologist, and neuropsychologist (those were her top 3 matches). I wish she could have printed out or had access to all of the matches at home...I'm curious what the other 61 were. We had lunch at the little cafe in one of the buildings near Shane's office. Calder had his swimming lesson, then we had a more relaxed evening than usual since there wasn't YW that evening.

 Thursday was another day that I thought I'd get more done than usual in the afternoon, but Adria came up with a big plan to surprise Rella with a bookshelf in their room. This is something we've planned to do for a while, so it wasn't completely out of the blue. Adria, Calder, and I headed to IKEA and picked up a few things there. Shane was home by the time we got home, so we quickly had dinner, then the kids and I put together the bookshelf while Shane was on an EQ meeting call. Their room feels finished now, which is nice. The girls and I have been working on making it feel cozy for a while, just with a piece here and there every once in a while. Thursday was the only night we didn't get the kids to bed on time while Rella was gone.

 Friday morning Calder and I went to the gym. He played in the childcare while I exercised, then we headed home. Rella was due to get back to the elementary school sometime in between 12 and 12:30, so we headed over to wait for the buses again. They actually didn't make it back until closer to 12:45. Rella had a wonderful time at Outdoor Ed! It's been fun to hear her compare notes with Adria. We missed our sunshine girl though...it's nice to have her back! After Adria got home from school we had our big reveal of the improved room, then the kids and I went to get frozen yogurt. Calder surprised me by getting his own frozen yogurt (it's a self serve type place) and his own toppings...and he even got reasonable amounts of each! He's really stepping up some in the independence department, which is nice. We also went to the store and then on a short bike ride to the purple park. After Shane got home we had a little movie night.

 Saturday started early with a Youth Temple trip for me and A. We met at the church at 6:45 for breakfast, then headed over to the Oakland Temple. The youth performed baptisms and the leaders served in the baptistry. I was the towel lady. It was nice to be in the temple and to feel the spirit there. Shane helped Rella get ready to sing a musical number for a DUP meeting that was held at our church. I had also signed her up to help at a girl scout cookie booth from 2-4, so I was feeling a little frantic when I received an email saying the time had been changed to 12-2 and could I pick up the cookies, and the cookie leader was going to be busy all day. The time change was a misunderstanding, so we got everything worked out. Rella made it back home in plenty of time, then both girls and I headed over to do the cookie booth. It was us and our friends from down the road, so we had a good time and sold about half the cookies that our troop had left. During the booth, my friend (Reham) invited all three of our kids to play at her house while Shane and I went to a concert that evening. Her husband walked the kids home at about 8, and we got home around 9:30. Shane and I met up with another couple from our ward for dinner, then went to the Saint Michael Trio 10th Anniversary Gala at the Fox Theatre in Redwood City. One of the members of the trio (the pianist) is in our Stake Presidency, so we had heard about it from people in the ward. We didn't know much else about the group...it turns out they are all 3 classically trained musicians with different day jobs. One is a doctor, one is involved in software, and the member of our stake presidency is the CEO of a very prominent venture capital firm in Silicon Valley. So they are not struggling musicians, by any means, but enjoy making music together. They have just released their 4th album. The concert was very good and entertaining. I also appreciated that it wasn't overly long. It was just the right length. Here's a video to give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfNQAagfJ0

 Sunday was uneventful. Church for everyone and naps for the parents. I usually avoid napping, but was feeling pretty run down, so I took one. Hopefully I don't pay for it by staying awake half the night.

 That's it from here! Have a good week!
Shane, Alicia, Adria, Rella, and Calder



No comments:

Post a Comment