Monday, May 18, 2020

Mom - Preparedness

Written May 17, 2020

Hey Grandma, Recently, I've been feeling more urgency in getting prepared for unexpected events (natural disasters, civil unrest, etc.). Christine and I haven't previously had any food storage or survival kits of any kind, so we are currently in the process of building these. We are starting with 72-hour kits for each of us, and a very basic food storage supply. (Rice and beans, for now.)

I'm emailing you because I remember from some of your emails that it sounded like you were participating in your stake's self-reliance initiative. I'm wondering if you know of any good tips or resources that might help us out.

Hi Kadan and Christine,

I hope you are both doing well. I'm glad you wrote and are feeling you need to do this. Me too! Grandpa--not so much, but he has finally learned to let me have my way:-)!

I liked what our ward has worked on the past few years and have purchased these items for us and our 6 kids (because at their busy stage of life, I was afraid they just wouldn't get around to it). I probably wouldn't have done it on my own either or known about some of these items to get.

I know it is harder for you young married grandkids starting out and most of you not in a home yet to be able to store much.

Our ward preparedness people researched these items and even brought them to church on Sundays and set them up on the small desk tables, out in the hall, so we could actually see them and feel the heater's output. They did a paper write-up on each product and price and where you could get it, if you chose to. Then you ordered them on your own, usually from Amazon (or you could check elsewhere, but it gave you ideas at least). I think I have an email with the papers on the various products. I will have to look for them and send them to you.

We first bought a large strong Storage Container for each of us from Home Depot and wrote "Emergency Preparedness" on it in big letters with a permanent marker. I feel it is important to have all the stuff together in one place as much as possible. If it is scattered all over the house and garage and shed, we forget where things are and can't find them quickly.

I find that it brings me greater Peace of Mind and wanted that for our kids also. "If ye are Prepared, ye shall not fear."

Items they suggested:
  • Portable heater that runs on 2 16-oz propane canisters (propane cheapest at WalMart). I got the heaters from Amazon.
  • A Lantern for emergency lightening (Amazon).
  • Several pairs of heavy-duty gloves (useful for clearing debris after natural disasters)--Home Depot
  • Emergency radio - solar-powered, or by crank, Amazon
  • Water purifier, Amazon
  • Emergency glow sticks, Amazon
  • Fire extinguisher (this I did tell the kids to keep in the house, to grab quickly, and they expire after several years). Conner mounted 2 for us, one in our laundry room and one in the garage as we exit the house. It they are mounted, you always know where to find them.
  • Cash box (Amazon)--it was suggested we keep $500 in $5 bills in it. A couple ward members who had lived through Hurricane Katrina, or similar, said this was one of the most useful things needed. As people had no access to their money, but needed to barter or buy medicines, food, water, etc. from neighbors, they needed cash. And you didn't want just hundred dollar bills or gold because no one had change to give you. I researched fireproof and waterproof cash boxes, but the reviews said they "sweat" and actually your important documents and money got wet with the tight seal--seems odd, but that's what many said. So I just bought regular ones
  • Medicines
And since the pandemic, I would include face masks and rubber gloves, and hand sanitizer. The rubber gloves would deteriorate after time and need to be replaced every few years.

Years ago, I sent everyone a case of toilet paper from Amazon, with instructions not to use it. A year or so later, I sent more to those that had kept it untouched for their Emergency Preparedness. Wendy had to open hers during the pandemic and was glad to have it!

When we were your age, we bought what the ward offered in the way of beans, rice & honey in the big metal 60-lb containers. The rice got weevil, the red beans, after a few years, would never soften, no matter how long I cooked them (for chili) and the honey went hard and so was extremely difficult to melt and get out of that big container (better in small containers that you can heat and re-melt). We got wheat in 100-lb bags and powdered milk (tried to rotate). We bought dried apricots, in sealed #10 cans, and when we opened one, they were all black and had to be thrown away.

So-----we now mostly just buy what we normally eat, when it is on sale, and rotate it. Most canned goods last at least 3 years and actually way beyond. Tomato products, like tomato sauce, etc. doesn't seem to last as long and the cans can bulge and have to be thrown away. So I don't buy too many of them ahead. 

Peanut butter and nut products go rancid after awhile, so don't get too much of them ahead.

All through our lives, it seems like wards/stakes just offered food orders and I could beat their prices on sales at the grocery store. So that's why I was glad to have our ward do the list above of non-food items. And two ward families did a lot of research and tried them out at home first. Then just a few months ago, our stake president sent out a letter (before the earthquake and pandemic), saying he too was feeling an urgency for us to get prepared.  I personally have felt that the Lord is preparing us for worst things that lie ahead with these earthquakes, natural disasters, and the pandemic. It helps us to see how unprepared we are to weather these things!

Our stake then offered order forms and write-ups for emergency toilets and how to use them. And also blue emergency water containers (4 or 5 gal.), stackable, with separate spigot). I bought two toilets and 2 water containers for each of the 7 of us. These they purchased for the stake and delivered to us.

You can see that the needs vary for different types of Emergencies. Probably the main thing most people wished they had with this Pandemic is an 8-month Emergency Fund to get them by financially. So many people live paycheck to paycheck and have been in dire straits to even buy food and pay bills. Our extended family has been blessed to still have jobs and not be in dire straits like millions of people are. Suze Orman now actually suggests a 3-year Emergency Fund instead of her former 8-month one. And you saw how quickly all the face masks, thin rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and even some foods disappeared from shelves. So for some, the cash box with $500 in would be helpful now. Our good food storage would see us through for quite awhile, except for perishables. You can see the value of home gardens and fruit trees also.

Whereas, the list of items in our Emergency Storage Container are more for earthquakes and other natural disasters that disrupt power, sewer, water, etc.

Our church has suggested being prepared for many many years. Different emergencies come for different families around the world at different times. Even just the loss of a job for a few months. Preparedness can save us so much worry and heartache.

And you've probably noticed the past few years, how our church has been moving us toward "home-centered learning" and not being being dependent on the church to teach our families. And has been stressing seeking our own personal revelation for ourselves and our families. Spiritual Preparedness. The church can help, but we need to go to the true source.  There is a lot of good information on the church's website and on google.

So, I guess, each of our families need to discuss and think through different scenarios that could happen and what we would need to get through it.

I also have been meaning to send out information, now that college is out, to all the married grandkids on doing your 4 must-half documents, for free--since I purchased it. I know you and Christine have already done it, as our "test couple." That's one more good preparedness thing that will save you money and bring you more peace of mind.


love, Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment