Monday, June 8, 2020

Shane&Alicia Update (06/07/2020)

Quick update from Lindon Westras
Sun, Jun 7, 7:11 PM

I hope everybody is doing well and staying healthy! Hope Scott is recovering well and not overdoing things.  Here is a quick update of what we've been doing:

  • The kids are enjoying being out of school. They do get bored sometimes, but Adria has been practicing soccer with her team again, Rella's dance studio is opened up again, and Calder is putting up with swimming lessons.
  • Adria is doing online drivers ed...and got a car! Alicia's brother Eric, who inherited their mom's 1998 Chrysler Cirrus, finally got a new car; but upon trying to trade in the Cirrus, the dealership said "ahh....no, we're not taking that". So Adria got it for free. It has 210K miles and a fair amount of rust...in other words, a perfect car for a new driver :) 
  • Work is going well for me. No layoffs, but annual raises, 401K match, and executive bonuses are on pause for the foreseeable future. I can't complain with other businesses being hit so hard. 
  • I found out one of my mission friends (a Brazilian) passed away from COVID-19. We had a mission reunion virtually with him on it just a few weeks earlier. 
  • Adria and I were scheduled to go to Europe next week, but Europe isn't open enough, and our flights were cancelled anyway (trying to get a refund from Delta still). So we'll need to find a different time that works with Adria's busy schedule (I'm a lot more open than she is!). 
  • Adria is starting soccer camp next week, and will be trying out for the team at Timpanogos High School at the end of July. 
  • Rella's dance concert is being filmed instead of holding a performance for the general audience -- seems like a good compromise. 
  • Calder started OT (Occupational Therapy) again -- he was so excited. 
  • Our Stake has announced high-level plans to go back to church. We'll go every three weeks, starting June 28. They will split the ward up into several groups, we don't know what time yet.
  • Adria got a new mountain bike, and she and I have been on a few rides. It's fun to have a biking buddy. 
  • Rella got a record player, and has been enjoying that. We put her first four records on the wall (see pic).I've included a few pictures too.



We are looking forward to seeing some of you at Kate and Callahan's wedding on Wednesday!
Shane, Leashee, Adri, Rella, and Calder


From Wendy: Thanks for the update! Cool project, Rella!! I showed the kids the video and pictures and said, "Wow, when did Adria's hair get so long?" Jaiden said, "It is because she straightened it!" Jaiden really wants a record player so she is jealous! Of that and the car, ha ha! See you all soon!

From Scott: Nice music. I had Abbey Road and Dark Side of the Moon as well. My first 4 albums: Styx – Grand illusion, Boston (the only one they had at the time). Kansas – Point of No Return, Journey – Escape. Closely followed by the Eagles – Hotel California and Doobie Brothers greatest hits.
From Shane: Very solid taste in music Scott! Hotel California was on the short list, and Boston's first album is a must-have. I like the others also. We had unique criteria
From Chris: Loved the Rube Goldberg video. Thanks for the update! Scott, I remember your Styx album. I was never much into music then, so I just listened to yours.
From Jen:  Rube Golberg experiments must be an 8th grade science thing ... although I think we've only had to do it once (with Keaton). You can see his here. https://youtu.be/uazy4-PZXLo.  Love having the YouTube options for little video shares and keeping videos handy and accessible.  I need to get my record player out - I'm pretty sure I can plug it into my computer and "grab" some of the audio on some of our childhood favorites like "Little Red Caboose" and "Animals" ... ones I don't think are available out there in MP3 format. I suppose I should encourage Coop to finish his online Driver's Ed (I bought a package last year about this time ...)
From Derek: Love seeing your Rube Goldberg Machine videos. :) ESPN has been REALLY bored and creative with the complete lack of sports to cover, and they sent me this Rube Goldberg machine of this Swiss Kid who really outdid himself to make his basketball shot. I was mesmerized the whole time. His reaction at the end is awesome. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss-P4qLLUyk  And as far as the first albums are concerned, I'm afraid that yours are way more "classic" and "iconic" than my first four. :) What can I say, I was a product of the very random 90's. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment