Friday, July 31, 2020

Blackhams - Wrapping up July

... and we've wrapped up July and entered August. I didn't get a weekly report out last Monday, as there hadn't been a ton happening, and I felt like I'd just wait and wrap up July in a single email.  So for July 20-July 31 ...


  • GARDEN: My garden has exploded a bit. There are a couple tomato plants that are growing like crazy, tipping over their cages. I've had to set separate stakes and cords to keep them upright. I have started getting some ripe tomatoes, and Gray had enjoyed making Caprese (the basil has been picked from the garden too, although it is bolting and going to seed). I've given away several zucchini. My hibiscus finally bloomed, and I have a few sunflowers opening up. 
  • SUNFLOWERS: I'd seen an advertisement for Cross-E Ranch (https://www.crosseranch.com/sunflower-festival-info.html) which is fields of sunflowers. I mentioned it to Cal, and he and Kate went and loved it. 
  • ANNIVERSARY: Gray and I had our 28th anniversary. We went out to Tepanyaki (my first time eating out since Covid shut everything down, although Gray has eaten out quite a bit). Interesting with paper menus, plastic utensils, limited seating. But still yummy. Gray also bought a bouquet of mini-roses. There were 28 exactly ... is it more impressive to think that Gray counted, or that it was a coincidence?   
  • BASEMENT REDO: We got a drywaller in to redo the wall (water damage) and patch up a few other areas. Got in a painter for an estimate and he's coming next week. We're going to go ahead and redo the carpet while we're at it. Then Keaton is moving into Cal's old room. Much cooler and darker than his upstairs room.  I've been going through a few things and made a DI donation, which is a bit trickier now. You have to make an appointment, you can't just drop things off.
  • BASKETBALL: Colton has had his "clinic" at the high school every Mon/Wed. Practices with his Wolves every Tuesday night. He also has had games each Saturday, and his Wolves went to a tournament in Idaho (there's another family who has "adopted" Colton as I don't travel ... it's actually come in handy as spectator seating is limited and they can take my spot). There have been a couple times he's had back-to-back events and he and his jersey can get SO stinky!
  • LAKE DAYS: Gray likes to make the lake a social thing with work buddies, and went three different times with fellows and their families after work. Twice to Pineview, then they tried out Willard Bay. 
  • GAMES: Landon and Sol have been over for games a few times. An expansion pack to "Exploding Kittens" and a new game "Poetry for Neandrathals" which was fun. We've played Progressive Rummy a couple times too (I wanted Cooper to learn it, so he and I could play with Grandma and Grandpa sometime). 
  • AROUND US: Our neighbor's dog had puppies ... we can't wait to play with them! Then there was the plane crash, and the bomb scare (although that was a little further and didn't impact us). Crazy world, even without Covid!
  • GOING TO HALE: Scott invited Gray and I to come join them at Hale, and it was fun to get out and see a show. Hale has sure changed since I was in shows back at their first Utah theater on State street MANY years ago.
So that wraps up July I think ... I'm not sure if I'll keep the weekly format for family letters or just go back to the monthly recap.   On the Westra Way blog - I did 29 posts in July. I had a goal of going a blog post a day, but missed a couple. I wrote up all the Easters, from 1996 (which is when I found the first family/group photos) to present (although I accidentally skipped 2009, so that one is still coming).  So if you missed the posts during the month, you can just click on the Easter topic to see them all back-to-back (I have gone in and placed them in their correct chronological spot, except for the most recent one which is the OLD Easters, of us growing up). 

Jen and da boys

No comments:

Post a Comment